News   Mar 04, 2021
 2.7K     7 
News   Mar 04, 2021
 985     0 

Toronto Bike Share

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
I could see Bike Share expanding into Port Credit and south Mississauga within 5 years, before all of Toronto is covered, provided there are no jurisdictional hurdles to overcome.

But correct me if I am wrong, most of the suburban areas are still very inhospitable for cycling outside of trails. The GO stations are traffic nightmares at peak periods, and largely located in commercial/industrial areas where there's both more threats to would-be cyclists, and less destinations.
Mississauga is making progress with bike lanes or more often MUPs on suburban arterials, with a suprising number of cross-rides with bike signals. Better than Toronto seems to be managing on comparable suburban arterials. There are stretches where there are gaps in the network. Riding on the street I tend to only do recreationally outside of rush hour (which would be legitimately terrifying).

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
Mississauga is making progress with bike lanes or more often MUPs on suburban arterials, with a suprising number of cross-rides with bike signals. Better than Toronto seems to be managing on comparable suburban arterials. There are stretches where there are gaps in the network. Riding on the street I tend to only do recreationally outside of rush hour (which would be legitimately terrifying).

I think cities like Mississauga need to embrace building a cycling network at-grade with the sidewalk, rather than the roadway. It is the best compromise for safety, expansion efficacy, and maintaining the existing road hierarchy which is unfortunately unrealistic to radically change.

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think the city agrees with you. Most of the work they have been doing has been multi use paths on high speed arterials. Most of the on-street bike lanes are more on lower speed distributor roads, though I still see plenty of people riding on the sidewalk.

vic

Member Bio
Reaction score
New station added this morning at Dundas St W / St Helens Ave (where Dundas and College meet).

R0013964.JPG

Saw it yesterday when I was out'n'about. Good use of road space. :)

WillTo

Member Bio
Reaction score
It just occurred to me we need a Bike Share station at each end of the Spadina Station tunnel! :p