News   Apr 18, 2024
 228     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 551     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Toronto Bike Share

I think in a city with a fair amount of topology going south to north or E-W up and down, ebikes will be pretty transformative in user adoption. I'm curious what the economics for bike share are. My guess is that e-bikes are somewhat daunting for private ownership due to fear of theft (some are pushing $5k vs $1k or so for a decent commuter bike, less if used), but the capital cost and operational cost for Bike Share may not be as big of a difference. I guess one way to think about it is that a bus that carries up to 60 people can cost the better part of a million dollars. Maybe buying 60 ebikes for bike share (they are not high performance ebikes, but I would still guess they are around $5k each) is not so unreasonable, especially if it gets traction with users. And it could be a good complement for first/last mile.

I kind of wonder if Bike Share should be moved to the TTC management to better integrate with the transit network. I just fear that they'd want to kill it instead of seeing it as synergistic with their service.

BikeShare should invest massively into e-bikes. It has potential to be transformative for transit in this city.

I kind of wonder if Bike Share should be moved to the TTC management to better integrate with the transit network. I just fear that they'd want to kill it instead of seeing it as synergistic with their service.
No thanks, the TTC should keep their inept management away from Bike Share.

They would screw it up massively.

I think in a city with a fair amount of topology going south to north or E-W up and down, ebikes will be pretty transformative in user adoption.
Yes, I was certainly someone who benefited from someone else overnight taking an e-bike back home to Midtown for the uphill journey. Perhaps I will continue to luck out in the future under similar circumstances.

I do not need an e-bike for downhill however, and I feel like it is unlikely I will find an e-bike for the return journey due to their current scarcity in the system. For reference, I checked and within 15 minutes of my trip end (to a more central area of the city), the e-bike had already been taken out by someone else.

If they become a greater share of the bikes available though, that might change my trip patterns. I would likely forego TTC on the return journey uphill.

New Stations for Friday Sept 18th:

Danforth/Dewhurst (1 block west of Donlands)
Bloor/Brock
1 Market Street (St. Lawrence Market)

Last edited:
New Bikeshare Station this morning...................

at Hotel X. (Lake Shore/Ontario Pl. Blvd) * seems to be the second one at this location.

Back