News   Nov 27, 2020
 680     0 
News   Nov 27, 2020
 1.4K     0 

Toronto Bike Share

LNahid2000

Member Bio
Reaction score
Perhaps this station was just temporarily moved from Lake Shore/Bonnycastle due to construction in the area. I remember docking at Lake Shore/Bonnycastle around a month ago because the station in front of the Loblaws was full.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Local news: Bikeshare added a station yesterday at Rough Hill/Waterfront Trail.

International News: Le service Vélib' à Paris a dépassé la barre des 400.000 abonnés. Un pic de 209.700 courses a été battu le 4 septembre, assure l'opérateur

Which means The Paris Bikeshare system now has over 400,000 members.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Letter(motion) from Committee Chair Councillor Pasternak is on the agenda for the next Infrastructure & Environment Ctte mtg on Sept 17th, 2020.

From said letter:

The Infrastructure and Environment Committee recommend that:

1.City Council request the Toronto Parking Authority Board of Directors to direct the CFO and acting President, Toronto Parking Authority to report back to the Infrastructure and Environment Committee by the end of Q4 2020, on the feasibility of increasing the “overcharge threshold” for Bike Share Toronto from 30 minutes to 45 minutes or more to support longer trips across the growing network, notably in the areas where distances between stations is longer.

2.City Council request the Toronto Parking Authority Board of Directors to direct the CFO and acting President, Toronto Parking Authority to report back by end of Q4 2020, on a strategy to explore a low-cost, barrier-free option for low-income users, reviewing discounted models such as Mo Go Detroit through its $5 per year program and Hamilton Bike Share with a $1 per month program with the goal of establishing more equitable access to Toronto’s Bike Share system such as through the #Bikes4All program.

3.City Council request the Toronto Parking Authority Board of Directors to direct the CFO and acting President, Toronto Parking Authority to consider, as a strategic plan to align current and future bike share stations along newly installed ActiveTO bike lanes.

Last edited:

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think in a city with a fair amount of topology going south to north or E-W up and down, ebikes will be pretty transformative in user adoption. I'm curious what the economics for bike share are. My guess is that e-bikes are somewhat daunting for private ownership due to fear of theft (some are pushing $5k vs $1k or so for a decent commuter bike, less if used), but the capital cost and operational cost for Bike Share may not be as big of a difference. I guess one way to think about it is that a bus that carries up to 60 people can cost the better part of a million dollars. Maybe buying 60 ebikes for bike share (they are not high performance ebikes, but I would still guess they are around $5k each) is not so unreasonable, especially if it gets traction with users. And it could be a good complement for first/last mile.

I kind of wonder if Bike Share should be moved to the TTC management to better integrate with the transit network. I just fear that they'd want to kill it instead of seeing it as synergistic with their service.

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
BikeShare should invest massively into e-bikes. It has potential to be transformative for transit in this city.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
I kind of wonder if Bike Share should be moved to the TTC management to better integrate with the transit network. I just fear that they'd want to kill it instead of seeing it as synergistic with their service.
No thanks, the TTC should keep their inept management away from Bike Share.

They would screw it up massively.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think in a city with a fair amount of topology going south to north or E-W up and down, ebikes will be pretty transformative in user adoption.
Yes, I was certainly someone who benefited from someone else overnight taking an e-bike back home to Midtown for the uphill journey. Perhaps I will continue to luck out in the future under similar circumstances.

I do not need an e-bike for downhill however, and I feel like it is unlikely I will find an e-bike for the return journey due to their current scarcity in the system. For reference, I checked and within 15 minutes of my trip end (to a more central area of the city), the e-bike had already been taken out by someone else.

If they become a greater share of the bikes available though, that might change my trip patterns. I would likely forego TTC on the return journey uphill.