News   Jun 21, 2024
 3.8K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Toronto Bike Share

That's the reason I'd like to question people who are off the Bixi map. I'd like to know if they've worked out the costs of a longer trip and they're fine with it, or if they think $5 buys them a bike for the day. I've never asked anyone because I'm not good at chatting up strangers, and I fear someone would be offended by the question if they know the score. Along the waterfront both ways (Beech St, Boulevard Cafe, Woodbine, Leslie, T&T, Distillery, Parliament, Coronation Park, Ontario Place, Palais Royale, High Park) would make sense for expansion, as it's mostly a comfortable ride for novice cyclists, and would meet the needs of both tourists and commuters. The Islands not so much - that's not really what Bixi is for, and there's already a commercial operator serving that market.

Hopefully, it gets more suburbanites who go downtown to try cycling. It might erode some of the reactionary views on cycling out there.

Dead on! I'm quite an avid cyclist, but even I have only cycled downtown a handful of times. The route from Vaughan to downtown is extremely hostile to cyclists (particularly around the 401) so I have to either put my bike in the car, or take the subway, both of which are not terribly practical from a transportation perspective. Bixi makes cycling downtown considerably more practical, and I'm looking forward to exploring the city by bike this summer.

The Islands not so much - that's not really what Bixi is for, and there's already a commercial operator serving that market.
Well, if Bixi felt they could make money off of it, it would be on par with Go Transit offering service into Niagara for leisure travellers rather than commuting purposes despite the presence of companies serving the area. Sometimes it makes sense to go outside the box.

I saw 2 racks today that were 100% empty with 2 other that only had 2 left. None of the other were haft full that I saw (3).

I saw 2 racks today that were 100% empty with 2 other that only had 2 left. None of the other were haft full that I saw (3).

The word is half, not haft. According to the internets, a haft is the handle of a weapon or tool. Your use of the word "haft" has bugged me for years.

This isn't BIXI news but cycling news. I read in this weeks Scarborough Mirror that they are considering getting rid of the bike lanes on Pharmacy Avenue. I hope they don't do this- the more cycling infrastructure their is the more likely this form of commuting will grow.

Taken around 2pm on Friday at York st and Queens Quay.
5842875093_4cc2a07f87_b.jpg

Today I saw BIXI bikes at the following ridiculous locations:

- Tommy Thompson Park
- Woodbine beach
- R. C. Harris Treatment Plant

Last edited:
I saw this gaggle of four bikes at the Beach:

Four bikes out of their dock for two hours = $74 + tax.

Proving, I think, that a) some people really don't understand the BIXI pricing structure and b) we desperately need BIXI stations at the beach.

Today I saw BIXI bikes at the following ridiculous locations:

- Tommy Thompson Park
THIS. Saw so many BIXI bikes out on the Leslie Spit today.

Basically every park and beach in the city needs a station at this point in time.

Going by the amount of complaints on Bixi facebook page they got a lot of bugs to work out and a lot of people who don't understand how the Bixi concept works.

http://www.facebook.com/BIXItoronto

Although people clearly need to actually read the signs, I can't help but think that Bixi has made things more confusing than it needs to be through their choice of language.

Bixie-Pay-Methods.jpg

"Basic Fee" does suggest that $5 is the fee for 24 hours of use. "Membership fee" would be a better term that people are more familiar with.

Putting the "Usage fees for each trip" BEFORE the membership cost would help. People would see the free first half hour and expect there to be a "catch"... which there is, in the form of a membership fee. And they could change it to "Usage fees for each trip with a membership".

Yup. At this point, I've seen BIXI bikes on the waterfront from Port Credit all the way to Kew Gardens, and at tons of locales in between.

Totally makes sense to expand along the waterfront. People love to take an evening or weekend ride along the lake.

Unlike Montreal, all BIXI stations in Toronto installed thus far are meant to operate twelve months of the year. I'm wondering if, in addition to the 'core' network available year-round, there could be a seasonal network available April - October that would cover a larger swath of the city.

Back