News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 751     0 

Toronto Bike Share

ALT-0233 (using number pad) on a PC ... I'm sure it's easier on a Mac, because I'm constantly told how much a better computer that is.

By the way, the OP is one of the best informed guys around here and I have always found his posts well worth the little bit of extra time to figure out the occasionally inventive spelling. So take it easy. When's the last time YOU told me something I needed to know? Except how to spell of course. That's really helpful.

I never said he wasn't well-informed. I'm just addressing a pet peeve I've had for four years (actually probably longer, but I'm just counting from when UT came here). Is it so much to ask to use the right word? Haft isn't even close. The word is half.

It's not like I'm being a spelling/grammar Nazi about your/you're or their/there or then/than or it's/its. Those irk me too, but haft? HAFT?

Besides, I'm trying to be helpful. Now he'll know the proper word to use. It's always half. And he'll never make the same mistake again. And everyone is happy.

Besides, I'm trying to be helpful. Now he'll know the proper word to use. It's always half. And he'll never make the same mistake again. And everyone is happy.
Can't we just let the topic die ... I'd have thought my comment about the accent aigu would have said the same with humour.

Some people get mental blocks ... for some reason your/you're its/it's and their/there get me if I'm just typing without thinking, even though I'm well aware of the rules ... I'm sure others have their own quirks - but if it's not changing the meaning of what's written (such using a verb tense that changes the meaning) then I ain't seeing the reason why we'd worry about this.

Can't we just let the topic die ... I'd have thought my comment about the accent aigu would have said the same with humour.

Some people get mental blocks ... for some reason your/you're its/it's and their/there get me if I'm just typing without thinking, even though I'm well aware of the rules ... I'm sure others have their own quirks - but if it's not changing the meaning of what's written (such using a verb tense that changes the meaning) then I ain't seeing the reason why we'd worry about this.

How does it not change the meaning when the word usage is wrong and you just have to guess what a person is trying to say? Language should be clear, not confusing.

But whatever. I'm sure these posts will get deleted for being off-topic anyway.

How does it not change the meaning when the word usage is wrong and you just have to guess what a person is trying to say? Language should be clear, not confusing.
It was clear from your original post you knew what he meant. It's not like that usage isn't unheard of ... (and if you don't believe me, check how many google hits you get for the phrase "cut it in haft" or "cut in haft").

But whatever. I'm sure these posts will get deleted for being off-topic anyway.
We can only hope.

Cut it out, everyone. Coruscanti made his point, though stated more politely and/or through a PM may have been more appropriate.

Coruscanti said he has let it slide for years. If that's true, my only hope is that everyone could have the same level of patience as has he shown and not make an big issue out of things at the first occurrence.

I was in London in late May and noticed their bikes. When I went on the Bixi website the other day I noticed London's was listed there. Nice to see a Canadian company be successful overseas :)

If I read the report to the Executive Committee correctly, BIXI's current loan guarantee ($4,800,000) runs to 2020 and there is nothing in the report to say it could not be increased. What they want to do is limit the TOTAL amount of these guarantees. See: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-38941.pdf

That's what the staff report said but the politicians do not always listen to staff. From the NP blog post: "The executive voted to phase out existing capital loan guarantees for non-city agencies, boards and commissions, as they expire."

You're right that Bixi got an agreement to 2020 (smart Bixi). Many of the others expire in 2014 or 2015. Something to think about when we go to the polls...

I got to say this Mayor is hilarious to bloviate about loan guarantees while pushing his private sector solution to the Sheppard subway. If that happens it will be the biggest loan guarantee in Canadian history. (Bigger than GM if you subtract the pension fund bailout.)

That's what the staff report said but the politicians do not always listen to staff. From the NP blog post: "The executive voted to phase out existing capital loan guarantees for non-city agencies, boards and commissions, as they expire."

You're right that Bixi got an agreement to 2020 (smart Bixi). Many of the others expire in 2014 or 2015. Something to think about when we go to the polls...

I got to say this Mayor is hilarious to bloviate about loan guarantees while pushing his private sector solution to the Sheppard subway. If that happens it will be the biggest loan guarantee in Canadian history. (Bigger than GM if you subtract the pension fund bailout.)

Not to mention hes willing to cash in on some of the profit that these loan guarantee's have produced in order to balance the budget (ie. Chorus Quay)

Call me a pessimist but BIXI won't get expansion funding in Rob Ford's City Hall. The original novelty will wear off over the winter and the real business -- frequent commuters -- won't be tapped because the service area is too small. Without a rapid expansion, the program has the real potential to fail.

Hopefully BIXI persists and finds a self sufficient way of expanding.

WTF? How did that get there? (in Toronto)
6063995817_79483afdf5_z.jpg
[/url]
DSC01634Toronto by queer_central, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back