News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 629     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto Bike Share

Good luck with getting confirmed sidewalk-riders to take the hint. I've told more than a few, and they look at me like I have three heads or something. They truly do not seem to understand that they do not belong on the sidewalk.

What we need to do is to educate suburbanites to use their common sense to dictate where is safest to ride, rather than automatically going to the sidewalk. I see people riding on the sidewalk on residential streets so quiet that I could have a picnic in the middle of the road without bothering anyone.

Our cycling infrastructure can help change people's behavior. In the Netherlands, bike paths always exit onto the road, not the sidewalk, so cyclists are perfectly comfortable cycling on quiet streets. In Toronto, too many of our "mixed-use" trails end at the sidewalk without allowing easy access to road level, which encourages cyclists to ride along the sidewalk even in places it would be safer on the road.

For the roads that aren't bike-friendly, on-street bike lanes are a good mentality changer. Before they put in bike lanes on Dufferin, almost all cyclists were on the sidewalk. Now I'd guess about half of cyclists are on the street. That may be a pathetic ratio compared to downtown (especially considering that the bike lanes are wide and unobstructed), but it's a step in the right direction.

As for Bixi, I think if we placed more stations on the side of the road, rather than the sidewalk, it would send the message that cyclists are welcome on the road.

Last edited:
What we need to do is to educate people to use their common sense to dictate where is safest to ride, rather than automatically going to the sidewalk. I see people riding on the sidewalk on residential streets so quiet that I could have a picnic in the middle of the road without bothering anyone.

Our cycling infrastructure can help change people's behavior. In the Netherlands, bike paths always exit onto the road, not the sidewalk and cyclists are perfectly comfortable cycling on quiet streets. In Toronto, too many of our "mixed-use" trails end at the sidewalk without allowing easy access to road level, which encourages cyclists to ride along the sidewalk even in places it would be safer on the road.

For the roads that aren't bike-friendly, on-street bike lanes are a good mentality changer. Before they put in bike lanes on Dufferin, almost all cyclists were on the sidewalk. Now I'd guess about 40% of cyclists are on the street (a disturbingly low percentage, considering the lanes are wide and unobstructed). It may be a pathetic ratio compared to downtown, but it's a step in the right direction.

As for Bixi, I think if we placed more stations on the side of the road, rather than the sidewalk, it would send the message that cyclists are welcome on the road.

This. It's really the little cues that can change behaviour, rather than the grand sweeping laws.

Saw someone on the waterfront promenade in Mississauga on a Bixi Bike the other day. A little far from home!

Bixi is reporting 64,500 rides taken on their bikes in Toronto in the month of May. Given that they only have 1,000 bikes on the streets right now, that's a pretty incredible ride rate!

I've seen this number provided a few times but never with a link to the source.

Is there a press release or something somewhere? I know they occasionally post daily stats on Facebook.

Bixi cycling on sidewalks is so rampant that I noticed the same bikes on the sidewalk and made the connection betwen them before I was even aware of Bixi. As a year-round, every day cyclist, I have no problem mentioning that sidewalks are for walking and that they should be on the road or bike lane.

Very impressive. This is around 2 pm on Friday.

bixiunion.jpg

I never noticed how badly the bixi stand blocks the paths between the pillars...There has to be a better way of increasing the capacity of this bixi stand in teh future...

They can come pick some up from QQ & Spadina! It's often full; twice last week my daughter has had to go to another station to return the bike.

Very impressive. This is around 2 pm on Friday.
Interesting ... at about 5:30 pm on Tuesday, when I passed by, it looked as though they were virtually all full. They must have a lot of commuters grabbing a bike when they arrive at Union and returning it when they leave. I can see that they may need to add stations here, and at the ferry terminal.

Interesting ... at about 5:30 pm on Tuesday, when I passed by, it looked as though they were virtually all full. They must have a lot of commuters grabbing a bike when they arrive at Union and returning it when they leave. I can see that they may need to add stations here, and at the ferry terminal.

Although the Bixi station at Union is pretty large by Canadian standards, I'm not at all surprised that it's so used, and it still probably needs to be expanded. In the Netherlands, the central railway stations have enormous bike storage areas for commuters (including popular NS OV-Fiets bike sharing stations) and Union station has the potential to start aproaching that with Bixi. Bixi is quite an appealing option for the final leg of GO passengers, as a faster alternative to walking, or a cheaper (and possibly faster) alternative to taking the TTC. To encourage this, it would help if a route was denoted for cyclists to get to and from the Bixi station onto the roads, added more Bixi stations in various locations for convenience and capacity, and made cycling more comfortable in the financial district.

Back