Toronto Backstage On The Esplanade | 116.73m | 36s | Cityzen | P + S / IBI

If investors wouldn't keep buying City Place crap, maybe we might have a chance. The problem is glass boxes sell so well, developers don't feel the need to give us something special. Stop buying crappy condos, people! Damn, those investors!

This is true...

If I was a builder I'd build a cheap glass box, cheap materials, cheap finishes....basically do the bare minimum...because people will pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for that.

People can barely afford market prices as is and developer aren't in a position to lower prices without lower the quality even more. These small shoe boxes work best on a boxy floor plan. Just look at the awkward layouts in Chaz on Charles.

Reality check ... condos are the lowest common denominator. I think we're pretty well off when a forum that loves to bitch can only find re-occuring architectural themes (such as staggered balconies) to complain about.

This is true...

If I was a builder I'd build a cheap glass box, cheap materials, cheap finishes....basically do the bare minimum...because people will pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for that.

I'd build the most attractive buildings possible, because I feel a strong connection to the city. If I had the opportunity to advance its architecture and make it a more exciting place, I'd definitely do it. Some developers apparently share this viewpoint, hiring talented architects with interesting site plans and commercial space, but are nonetheless quite cautious and conservative in executing their vision. One, however, is more confident and making excellent contributions and actually realizing that vision. They are doing what every major developer should be doing. That developer is Cityzen.

Backstage may not seem exciting, but it's next to what should prove to be an exceptional building that they're also building: the L-Tower. So it's not like this is such a regrettable design, unless the tower is poorly aligned with the L-Tower, or unless it looks ugly to the tens of thousands passing by on trains. I'd prefer something more distinct too, but there are greater missed opportunities to worry about. (Again, unless it proves to be ugly from certain back angles that will in fact be seen by people in the buildings around it and on trains.)

from today
2011016033.jpg

That is going to be one dark intersection! Not complaining, the flatiron building is going to look better than ever, between Backstage and L.

From: http://www.eyeweekly.com/city/features/article/110926

"Developers are notoriously stingy when it comes to releasing information about floor plans, prices and other essential facts until every last opportunity to sell to select buyers has run out. Buyers are forced to request them, and generally they’ll only receive answers once sales centres finally open to the public.

But that’s changed with the recent proliferation of real estate websites. Suddenly, buyers are armed with more information than ever before. Floor plans for Backstage were uploaded to UrbanToronto.ca (a discussion forum for real estate in the city), back in October, months before the public was supposed to see them. "

Is there even going to be much of a dig on this one..:confused:

Considering this will house parking for both L-Tower and Backstage, they must be going deep (with the exception of the overpass of course).
It will go down a minimum of 3 as this is the level at which the tunnel from L-tower will connect.. See the second last page of the tunnel application PDF in DSC's post.

Back