Toronto Backstage On The Esplanade | 116.73m | 36s | Cityzen | P + S / IBI

Will this be a public tunnel or only for residents?

When initally proposed a few year ago I believe it was for resident use only, don't see why that would change.
And why would the public even want to use this thing? It justt goes from L-tower to the underground parking of Backstage.. unless you were a resident with a car its not of much use to you. On the other hand, there will eventually be a PATH connection to Backstage I believe, so I suppose it's possible this will be accessible to the public.

Most of the parking is above ground I believe, if not all of it, so I don't know how much digging down there will be.

Four underground parking levels at Backstage will be for L Tower residents. Parking for residents of Backstage will be above ground in its podium. The PATH system will cross over Yonge Street immediately north of the rail corridor, and have access to ground level within Backstage, but it will not drop another three floors to attach to the L Tower. The tunnel is only for getting people between their cars and their units.

Last edited:
Four underground parking levels at Backstage will be for L Tower residents. Parking for residents of Backstage will be above ground in its podium. The PATH system will cross over Ypnge Street immediately north of the rail corridor, and have access to ground level within Backstage, but it will not drop another three floors to attach to the L Tower. The tunnel is only for getting people between their cars and their units.

Too bad, a link with PATH to the Sony Centre would have been useful and apparently it cannot be linked to from west of Yonge.

Are they planning on starting construction on this any time soon or are they waiting for L-Tower to finish? I don't think that the owners of L would be happy to know that their parking lots won't be ready when they move in.

It could be another year before they started on Backstage, and they would still have time to get the garage done before anyone moves into L Tower.

I believe Backstage will start before the end of 2011 nevertheless.

Thanks for all this great information about the tunnel. As an L Tower purchaser, I was very curious about what the parking situation would look like. If the PATH connects to Backstage, could one conceivably come from L Tower using the parking tunnel to get to Backstage, and then go upstairs to get to the PATH? Probably access to the backstage building will require a fob or a key, but it would be cool if one could take the elevator at least to a public area of the Backstage that connect directly to the PATH.

That sounds like a question for Cityzen... but having to go all the way down to the third floor below ground, and weave through a parking area, and then work back up to the surface likely through several doors, seems like a lot of work to avoid a short hop across the street.

That sounds like a question for Cityzen... but having to go all the way down to the third floor below ground, and weave through a parking area, and then work back up to the surface likely through several doors, seems like a lot of work to avoid a short hop across the street.

People here at Luna Vista go through the trouble quite frequently to get to Luna Vista from Luna. You can enter from Luna, go to the third floor, and cross into Luna Vista. Its a bit more work, but worth the work on a cold or rainy day.

Thanks for all this great information about the tunnel. As an L Tower purchaser, I was very curious about what the parking situation would look like. If the PATH connects to Backstage, could one conceivably come from L Tower using the parking tunnel to get to Backstage, and then go upstairs to get to the PATH? Probably access to the backstage building will require a fob or a key, but it would be cool if one could take the elevator at least to a public area of the Backstage that connect directly to the PATH.

Riley - Yes, indeed, L Tower residents will be able to use their "private" tunnel, to access the planned PATH connection. It is scheduled that one could exit the L Tunnel via elevator to ground level and enter, fobless, through either the elevator or stairwell PATH entry points currently planned at the southwest corner of Backstage.

Not sure why people are talking about not much digging, even if there isn't any parking at all, it's 36 stories no?
it needs to go down to bedrock.

Riley - Yes, indeed, L Tower residents will be able to use their "private" tunnel, to access the planned PATH connection. It is scheduled that one could exit the L Tunnel via elevator to ground level and enter, fobless, through either the elevator or stairwell PATH entry points currently planned at the southwest corner of Backstage.

Will the public have access to PATH via Backstage? Backstage, will have retail, right?

Back