Toronto Backstage On The Esplanade | 116.73m | 36s | Cityzen | P + S / IBI

Oops, sorry, I mis-read that. I thought GO was taking over the Dundas bus coach terminal, which didn't make any sense at all, but was still within the realm of possiblity since we're talking about Metrolinx here.

I like this idea, and add a tunnel under Bay into the GO concourse

I believe the streetcar tunnel to Queen's Quay precludes anymore tunnels under Bay.

I believe the streetcar tunnel to Queen's Quay precludes anymore tunnels under Bay.42

I think the present streetcar tunnel under Bay does not come north of the rail bridge but the whole of that tunnel and streetcar 'station' is under study as it needs to be expanded to accommodate the Queens Quay west and maybe the proposed Bremner streetcars. Perhaps GO, TTC and Metrolinx could try to coordinate things? (OK, one can hope :) )

I think the present streetcar tunnel under Bay does not come north of the rail bridge but the whole of that tunnel and streetcar 'station' is under study as it needs to be expanded to accommodate the Queens Quay west and maybe the proposed Bremner streetcars. Perhaps GO, TTC and Metrolinx could try to coordinate things? (OK, one can hope :) )

You're right about the possible expansion of the streetcar station and all that entails, but the station itself is under the Bay Street and the east entrance area to the GO Concourse, all of which is north of the rail bridge and tracks. There used to be a diagram of the planned expansion somewhere on the forum, but I cannot find it now. Anyone know where this is?

As it stands the streetcar tunnel precludes an underground pedestrian connection below Bay Street unless it were to be dug under that tunnel. That seems pretty unlikely.

The Queen's Quay - Ferry Dock underground streetcar station has a pedestrian crossover so you can access both north and southbound streetcars. It would be possible to do something like that around between ACC and what ever is going to be built on the above ground parking lot at or around 25/40 Bay St

It seems that GO no longer intends to use this site as their new headquarters.

The site is to be sold to Castlepoint, the developer of the L Tower across the street, later this fall. Castlepoint still intends to build parking for the L Tower on this site, but has not revealed their intentions for the rest of the allowed square footage, or whether they will pursue more space on the site as GO had been doing.

Stay tuned!

thanks I-42 ... I always thought that even if GO office went ahead as originally planned it would be built on top of the 6+ storeys above grade parking garage (to be used by L Tower) ... so I suppose the question now is who/what will occupy the vacant space above the parking structure

from minutes of 'L Tower - Sony Centre Revitilization City of Toronto Site Plan Working Group'

http://enconsulting.ca/?p=51

- GO transit building may be going through some change, looks like GO transit might not stay at Castlepoint site…

- the decision has already been made by GO not to put its head offices at 5-7 The Esplanade, we’re looking for people to fill all the spaces.

- Castlepoint intend to pursue proposal for parking.

– Castlepoint has not yet acquired the property but will in December 2009

Yeah the tower is no longer slated to be the GO headquarters.

Instead GO is planning to move its headquarters into the West wing of Union Station.

Metrolinx is also moving forward with plans to expand the GO Bus Terminal and extend the Government of Canada office block over it.

Louroz

Yeah the tower is no longer slated to be the GO headquarters.

Instead GO is planning to move its headquarters into the West wing of Union Station.

Metrolinx is also moving forward with plans to expand the GO Bus Terminal and extend the Government of Canada office block over it.

Since Castlepoint seems to be pursuing plans to develop the Esplanade site as offices anyway, I would say that these are three pieces of good news.

The fact that the west wing has sat vacant for all these years has been a waste. Great to see Metrolinx and GO stepping up to renovate and develop it. There's a lot of office space in the wing, so I wonder if they plan to occupy the whole thing or if they will rent some of it out.

Good news about the planned Bus Terminal expansion. GO needs it right now (but all-day service on Milton GO would eliminate a quarter (or more) of the buses currently serving the terminal). I would hope that expansion plans include the relocation of the current intercity bus terminal.

Wow. Reading the minutes no wonder nothing gets accomplished. Nobody seems to take the bull by the horns to get the decisions made. After reading that who has the ball in their court to figure out what PATH connection Castlepoint should build? Why is a tunnel at the CNE being brought up? An outdoor tunnel in an area which is quite dead when no events are on is a little different than an indoor one which connects a neighbourhood through to Union station.

I'm curious as to how reliable and firm this is. My wife works at GO headquarters and a move to Union would certainly be more convenient for her.

Sounds Great

I was one who voiced by concerns about the Esplanade GO proposal, for the very reason....

That I'd been on the behind-the-scenes tour of Union before, and seen all this great office space going to waste.

I could not understand why one would build a new tower when you had this great space sitting right over the main service hub for your organization.

I hope this comes to pass.

The west wing of Union Station is in dreadful shape; despite its location I'd hate to work there in its current state. GO already has some office space in it by the way.

Back