Toronto Backstage On The Esplanade | 116.73m | 36s | Cityzen | P + S / IBI

Yeah, after looking at the site, I can't imagine a 31 storey tower being wedged right in front of the existing building. Also, I actually really like its impact when viewed from the west by the GO terminal. It's vaguely NYC Flatiron-ish, and looks quite imposing. Sticking a tower in front of it will definitely be met with resistance.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 25esplanade.jpg
    25esplanade.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 608
Seems to be a common misconception.
A lot of pople see the the Novotel sign and assume that huge building is the hotel. Its not. Its the small structure (with the quebecois style dormer windows on the roof) beside it.

Oh wow! I learned something new today then haha.
The tower is 25 Esplanade. Novotel is 45 I believe.
I could have sworn the tower had the Novotel sign on it. It's been a while since I've been over that way though.

Damn! This is going to be one really skinny building!

If the nimbys next door were pissed over that last proposal, they are gonna go crossed eyed ballistic nuts over this one.

The residents with windows at the 'point' of that huge slab of cheese go from an incredible view of the CN Tower and city skyline to a view of their new neighbours windows or a concrete wall about 10 ft (if that) in their faces.

I wonder how many of those unlucky residents will be calling their agents in the next couple of weeks.

you can add purchasers of south facing units in lower section of 'L Tower' to the list of people whom will go ballistic :p

There is now a white sign on this site saying that Castlepoint have applied for an Official Plan change to allow for a 31 floor building (4 floor podium, 27 floors) plus 6 levels of underground parking. The parking to serve the L Tower.

Interesting. So, the GTTA headquarters office tower has become a residential tower with a 4-storey mixed-use podium.

It looks like those motel strip condos at Lakeshore & Parklawn :/

Hmm...103m would put it just below London. I believe the cheese wedge is 101m, but I might be mistaken. As grey notes, the sweeping balcony 'feature' is pretty bad. And for such a central location too - I believe HP could really do something special with this site.

It's more interesting then that even:

The mixed used podium ... levels 2,3,4 are seemingly going to be what was planned for the base of the L - tower ... some cultural facility.

It's more interesting then that even:

The mixed used podium ... levels 2,3,4 are seemingly going to be what was planned for the base of the L - tower ... some cultural facility.

God dammit. I wish they had partnered with L-Tower to finish off the boot instead of building this Monarch-style condo.

interesting .... this building is sited right 'in the face' of L Tower, BYE BYE south view + sunlight for units in the lower 31 floors ~ and I gather the separation between L Tower and this building will be similar to distance between east + west towers in London

I gather the separation between L Tower and this building will be similar to distance between east + west towers in London

The separation will be greater. There's a street between them after all.

This project is crap. It has no respect for the views of building with a FAR superior design. The flatiron building will lose its postcard image, and L tower loses the south view.

This site is just not appropriate for a highrise unless it doesn't take away from views, and actually gives something back to the city.

Why would views from the flatiron (WEST) be effected???

I meant the views of the flatiron building from Yonge st. Sorry for not being clear.

The separation will be greater. There's a street between them after all.

judging from the Site Plan in the City Planning Staff Report, there is going to be only 25 metres separation between L Tower and this proposed building (which is really tight), this of course is attributed to the fact that both building will be built right to the property line ~

technically speaking, the proposed build JUST meets the minimum recommended separation distance between tower as outlined on page 37 of the City's Tall Building Guidelines

on another note, the separation distance to 'The Esplanade' flat iron building will only be 27 metres, so there goes the view of that post card building too :mad:

Back