Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

It may very well be that the podium contains only three (very tall) floors, plus the half-deck, but their combined height is clearly equal to between eight and nine regular floors -- see attached enlargement.

RoCPIII.jpg

I make the three-story podium to be equal to seven regular floors, plus one and a half floors for the half-deck.

Bill

Re: So...............

Odds are this is going back to the drawing board. But if they can't tall on Yonge then where exactly are they suppose to build it on that site? The entire site fronts Yonge. Kinda of doesn't make sense.

Council's dislike of Sapphire didn't make sense either, imho.

I don't really have a problem with height on this site so lets go even higher if they want. But I do think the way it meets the street is vitally important as this is Yonge Street not Bay Street and we want to make sure the building has an appropriate response to that street. The only other problem I have is the lost of a possible square in the open area around College Park, a public square that openly connects with the street, that isn't hidden behind in some kind of quasi-private space which is never successful.

tkip:

Just because there is a proposal for a 75s tower doesn't mean by default one should throw the existing zoning out the window. The merit of the former will have to be demonstrated, and given the height and density of the project, one should be extra demanding indeed. If anything, one should push the tower portion of the project towards the northern end of the site along Yonge so as to allowing for maximum height transition towards the south side of the block.

mongo:

The half deck looks like it's actually set back, so I wouldn't necessarily count it. At best, the podium is 6/7s high, which in all likelihood only matches College Park.

AoD

The renderings make it look like it has a lot of potential (though it does look a bit like a mish-mash)...it will drastically transform that intersection and it'll also be quite the landmark.

Unfortunately it looks like they plan to have the same crappy podium as the other two phases. At least it will fit in slightly with College Park. I hope they change it though...

IMO, 'blending' in with College Park would be a mistake and would likely only be bland at best, cheap 'faux' at worst. To extend what is already a landmark this tower must add something to the whole in the way the Crystal adds to the ROM or the Pyramide adds to the Louvre etc.

I think the design is actually great. I love it. It looks very "Chicago" to me.

The base could definiltey be improved, however.

I used the elevations and the renderings of College Park Three to test out Google Sketchup by building a model of it. After two days of trial and error this is what I got...

(I made quite a bit of stuff up with this model- I don't know the exact dimensions of anything, but I did the best I could at making the model as real as possible. I didn't check the number of floors on my model so I might be off on that as well. Black and white planning drawings mean that I have no idea if the materials on my model in the same places as those in the design. Even the buildings around this model do not represent anything on the real site!)

cp3_1.jpg

View from SW

cp3_2.jpg

View from SE

cp3_3.jpg

Aerial view from SE

cp3_4.jpg

East elevation

cp3_5.jpg

View from NW

cp3_6.jpg

View from NE

cp3_7.jpg

South elevation

cp3_8.jpg

Aerial view from NW

cp3_9.jpg

View of podium

cp3_11.jpg

Looking up at the tower from street level

Feel free to comment on the renderings!

I seriously hope that they don't go with a podium like that for the Yonge Street portion. The Yonge Street sidewalk should be free of overhangs of any kind.

Looks good, maybe too good: isn't your tower slimmer than the one in the official rendering?

Back