Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Walked by here last night and after seeing the BMO & RBC right next to each other taking up awesome retail space I was depressed. Restaurants could have potentially used those spots with room for patios in front. Imagine how vibrant that would have been on a Friday night...Instead there are 2 closed banks taking up that space. Amazing....Then I went downstairs and saw the saddest little mall I have ever seen. Is this an offshoot of pacific mall?? The size of those units are smaller than my bathroom. What can you possibly put in those spaces? And the rents they are asking are ridiculous. If this is a sign of the "retail" we are going to see in the future condo's coming along Yonge, it is going to be extremely sad.

Walked by here last night and after seeing the BMO & RBC right next to each other taking up awesome retail space I was depressed. Restaurants could have potentially used those spots with room for patios in front. Imagine how vibrant that would have been on a Friday night...Instead there are 2 closed banks taking up that space. Amazing....Then I went downstairs and saw the saddest little mall I have ever seen. Is this an offshoot of pacific mall?? The size of those units are smaller than my bathroom. What can you possibly put in those spaces? And the rents they are asking are ridiculous. If this is a sign of the "retail" we are going to see in the future condo's coming along Yonge, it is going to be extremely sad.
Yes, it sucks that banks are facing Yonge Street like that, but I would not want to sit on a patio there. Fumes from cars and trucks on Yonge Street, and in a shadow most of the day.

....Then I went downstairs and saw the saddest little mall I have ever seen. Is this an offshoot of pacific mall?? The size of those units are smaller than my bathroom. What can you possibly put in those spaces? And the rents they are asking are ridiculous. If this is a sign of the "retail" we are going to see in the future condo's coming along Yonge, it is going to be extremely sad.

Last week I met a friend for coffee but had to hit BB&B for a couple of badly needed bath mats first. He doesn't like the condo tower and he hadn't been in BB&B before so we went in & he liked it but then I showed him the "mall" downstairs. He was laughing his butt off at the size of the units and the rents being asked that were in the windows of a few of the cubicles. Interestingly he said something like "I've finally seen a mall worse than Toronto Life Square" and commented about what a mess this project was as we went up the escalator. All the while something to do with construction was banging and literally shaking the whole complex, it was extremely unnerving and made me a little panicky. When I pointed out the banks on Yonge he stood and just shook his head in disbelief, he hadn't noticed them before - or what a missed opportunity that is.

TLS is better now with a beer store taking a large amount of space downstairs ... but yes there were many empty shops for quite some time.

I'm sure I can find my post from years ago where I predicted the exact same future here ... you'll see it'll happen, probably 1 to 2 years from now. I think you'll see quite a few spots fill out over the next year to very quickly empty afterwords (nearly identical to what happened in TLS's basement).

Not sure if anyone has ever mentioned this before ever, but when I went to the mall in the basement of Aura I noticed that the units are filled with quite a few nail and hair salons :p

I'm sure I can find my post from years ago where I predicted the exact same future here ... you'll see it'll happen, probably 1 to 2 years from now. I think you'll see quite a few spots fill out over the next year to very quickly empty afterwords (nearly identical to what happened in TLS's basement).

I think your right. Over time some of the units will be purchased, combined and form slightly more practical retail spaces. If this ever gets connected to PATH in the future, part of this mall will be gold.

Not sure if anyone has ever mentioned this before ever, but when I went to the mall in the basement of Aura I noticed that the units are filled with quite a few nail and hair salons :p

So far, I think they are all nail & hair places.

ft4w.jpg

Last edited:
Taken just now:
Didn't realize how bad the patch on north-east corner at the setback looks. Sadly, it cannot be unseen. It doesn't even try to be apart of the design element. The south side of the building is definitely the best-looking.

DSC_0235 by stevevephotostream#1, on Flickr

Lets not panic over an unfinished building.. let it be fully built first, or for a few months after that even. Give them a chance, as things can go wrong and maybe it truely is temporary. as we all know its not a part of the design. In any render out there or the model in the show room.
image.jpg
sorry, to much light let in for this picture but at least it hides the mismatch you guys all dislike. You can see the curve good now from Younge st. looking directly up. Love your picture Steveve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 710
Having just gotten over another dose of the Mayor Ford thread, I find the "it's better than a parking lot" argument a little like the "despite bla bla bla, I'd still vote for Ford over Smitherman/Pants/Chow" argument...

Back