Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

The people over at the "other" forum are fawning over this building and I never understood why. The building looks like a mess. What am I missing?

Oh come on, there are a couple of interesting features on this building. People like buildings that are different and unique, which Aura is. How many other buildings in Toronto look like Aura? none! In a city full of copy-cat designs, it's just nice to see something different.

The most obvious features that make it unique are the curved top, the tapered roof feature and the fact that it is angled to Yonge Street, which adds interest. The podium is not great but it also is different from anything else in Toronto. Then you also have that sad little shopping mall in the basement. Sure, it looks pretty bad but it's like no other PATH mall around and who knows, it might actually turn into some freaky flea market or discount shopping centre. (another artsy Kensington Market?)

Let's also not forget it's height and size. The number of apartments in this development is huge. I really don't think this building is as bad as some people claim. It's bottom part is pretty much the same as most other new towers in Toronto. (glass, spandrel and balconies) I don't see anything really ugly or beautiful here so far. It's a typical Toronto building in that respect but thankfully, it has no grey spandrel.

Last edited:
This building might just be the one, that in future years, becomes a monument to the grey-blue glass glazing spandrel balconizing era...if it hasn't already.

The phase will pass as new design ideas emerge. In 100 years someone will undoubtedly be outraged that they are considering razing it to make way for something more "modern".

Oh come on, there are a couple of interesting features on this building. People like buildings that are different and unique, which Aura is. How many other buildings in Toronto look like Aura? none! In a city full of copy-cat designs, it's just nice to see something different.

The most obvious features that make it unique are the curved top, the tapered roof feature and the fact that it is angled to Yonge Street, which adds interest. The podium is not great but it also is different from anything else in Toronto. Then you also have that sad little shopping mall in the basement. Sure, it looks pretty bad but it's like no other PATH mall around and who knows, it might actually turn into some freaky flea market or discount shopping centre. (another artsy Kensington Market?)

Let's also not forget it's height and size. The number of apartments in this development is huge. I really don't think this building is as bad as some people claim. It's bottom part is pretty much the same as most other new towers in Toronto. (glass, spandrel and balconies) I don't see anything really ugly or beautiful here so far. It's a typical Toronto building in that respect but thankfully, it has no grey spandrel.

Similar glass tower designs can be found south of Front Street, though shorter and less schizophrenic. Still hoping the top can help redeem this building. My friends from out of town last Friday night on my balcony, "wow, what's that tall building over there... why can't they build nicer buildings in Toronto?...".

The people over at the "other" forum are fawning over this building and I never understood why. The building looks like a mess. What am I missing?

Just curious, what is the "other" forum? It sounds like I might actually prefer being there!

Thanks. I just took a glance at skyscrapercity and skyscraperpage forums, and the one thing that immediately jumps out at me is that the members don't all seem to be insulting each other and bickering on every thread. Even when there is disagreement, there is more of a sense of courtesy and common interest. Granted, the discussions here are certainly deeper, but the mood is often hostile.

Thanks. I just took a glance at skyscrapercity and skyscraperpage forums, and the one thing that immediately jumps out at me is that the members don't all seem to be insulting each other and bickering on every thread. Even when there is disagreement, there is more of a sense of courtesy and common interest. Granted, the discussions here are certainly deeper, but the mood is often hostile.

I find that the discussion here tends to be more substantive; possibly because the members here tend to be more educated about architectural and planning issues. I think people hold and argue their positions more passionately when they are involved in the field (be it as students or professionals) rather than being casual observers.

I find this forum a lot more user friendly and better / more picture updates. It's a lot easier to find the thread Ur looking for on ut, plus u get a link to the database project in the thread itself

Back