Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Queen West has way more pedestrian activity than Yonge.

I'm trying to find something to like about this project(s). Really I see it perhaps coming to life in about 30 years with tenants' colourful laundry hanging from balconies, tinfoil and various multi cult flags on the windows and perhaps a barrage of tacky commercial signage. Sort of like those photos you see of Hong Kong slums. A vertical Yonge Street really.

In the near future, it will be a mid-range Ryerson dormitory at best; at worst just another missed opportunity.

Thanks Gory+Craptaza.

You make some good observations there, though I prefer to disagree with you. Either way, I won't be surprised if you're right.

I'm trying to find something to like about this project(s). Really I see it perhaps coming to life in about 30 years with tenants' colourful laundry hanging from balconies, tinfoil and various multi cult flags on the windows and perhaps a barrage of tacky commercial signage. Sort of like those photos you see of Hong Kong slums. A vertical Yonge Street really.

In the near future, it will be a mid-range Ryerson dormitory at best; at worst just another missed opportunity.

Thanks Gory+Craptaza.

The notion that the mediocre architecture of this building is the determinate factor in whether it will become slummy is ridiculous, to say the least.

Thanks Gory+Craptaza.

Man, I thought ud's posts were mostly supposed to be taken as jokes! No one would really suggest that every forecasting of realty values centrally in Toronto for the next 30 years are backwards, and that we are going to get a Detroit style downtown. I guess anything is possible, but im doubtful. From everything Ive seen prices are to rise centrally in Toronto with Yonge as the backbone or that growth, and unfortunately we are to see re prices and income in the rest of the city not keep pace and or decrease.

Queen west is only busy between University and Spadina. And there even at its best might only be equal to the pedestrian activity at Yonge and Dundas south to Queen and north to College.

Yonge Street is Pedestrian busy North of Bloor to Front.

Big Difference !

^You need to hang out on the real Queen West more often. aka Bathurst to Dufferin and beyond. :)

Yonge Street is just so boring--it's like a larger main street of many small towns across Canada--mostly mediocre stores selling mostly mediocre products. I am not saying Queen West is any better in that regard, but at least the average pedestrian is better dressed. (How superficial of me.:D)

-------------------------------------

Btw, thanks for the love folks that ignore me! (Because ignorance is not always bliss, I choose not to ignore anyone.)

Yonge Street is just so boring--it's like a larger main street of many small towns across Canada--mostly mediocre stores selling mostly mediocre products. I am not saying Queen West is any better in that regard, but at least the average pedestrian is better dressed. (How superficial of me.:D)

-------------------------------------

You're so right. It really needs a plan to improve the quality of its retail stores, I think this area has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work. It only doesn't need trees and more green space but betters retail stores.

Taken August 18, 2012:

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

Actually it's not the architecture but the location, the sheer size of the thing, and the lowend retail at the base that will attract the masses. Although there is a relationship between good design and income. Look at Apple's products for example: research published recently suggests wealthier ppl buy APPL products.

Actually it's not the architecture but the location, the sheer size of the thing, and the lowend retail at the base that will attract the masses. Although there is a relationship between good design and income. Look at Apple's products for example: research published recently suggests wealthier ppl buy APPL products.

There's also a correlation between Price, and "the masses". The only way your dystopian future comes to pass, is if every owner sells at a loss.

The success of Apple's products is due predominately to their highly intuitive user interface. If you put an inferior GUI into the same slick shell, I seriously doubt that such a product would sell as well as Apple's products. Design is relevant so far as it relates usability. I think Aura's long term success will be determined by the quality of its layouts, amenities and location, and the cost of maintenance fees.

Back