Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I hope it's built just like that. Nice bulky podium and sleek tower which gets bonus points for being a non-box without being goofy-looking.

Ditto. Looks good. Simple, modern yet slightly refreshing and nice setbacks. The podium looks great. I just hope that this doesn't get a visit from The Cheapening.

I think it's an improvement over the older rendering:
Aura.JPG

The swirl/bend/curve of the upper portion doesn't come through so clearly. It's okay, but a bit too busy.

the base looks so much better.. and 4 levels of retail, that sounds like quite a lot. it'd be cool to have a mini-shopping-center there... a good stop point between dundas and bloor.

I don't like how the only place where a curve is showing up, is the tower. They should put some elements of it on the base somewhere too.

As for worrying about it being cheapened? It looks to me like it can be built to look just like that without cheapening.

definitely an improvement over the old render....thumbs up!

It's acceptable now for a tower of its prominence, but certainly far from a gem. I agree that the tower part is too busy. I have yet to see a tower that wouldn't look better without balconies, and only having them on the bottom have kills any hope of vertical continuity.

Also, this could still look bad if they cheap out on the glass. I shudder at the thought of Cityplace-style cladding on this tower.

New tower will bring condo craziness to new heights
By CHRIS DOUCETTE, SUN MEDIA

In order to keep up with demand, numerous other large condo developments are being built. In the next four years alone, the number of buildings over 200 metres in height will more than double from the seven currently dotting Toronto's skyline to 17.

The writer must be using the CN Tower in their calculations. Excluding the tower, my list has 6 completed, 16 in the future:

First Canadian Place - 978 ft. 72 floors
Trump International - 925 ft. 57 floors
1 Bloor East - 912 ft. - 80 floors
Scotia Plaza - 902 ft. 68 floors
Canada Trust Tower [Brookfield Place] - 856 ft. 53 floors
Aura [RoCP] - 804 ft. 75 floors
Commerce Court West [Commerce Court] - 784 ft. 57 floors
Toronto Dominion Bank Tower [Toronto-Dominion Centre] - 731 ft. 56 floors

Bay-Adelaide Centre West Tower [Bay-Adelaide Centre] - 715 ft. 50 floors
Signature Tower [CityPlace] - 714 ft. 69 floors
Shangri-La - 704 ft. 65 floors
Four Seasons Hotel [Four Seasons] - Approx 686 ft. 55 floors
Ritz Carlton Hotel [Simcoe Place] - 684 ft. 53 floors
45 Bay Street - HEIGHT NEEDED - ~50 floors
Bay Wellington Tower [Brookfield Place] - 679 ft. 49 floors
The L Tower [Hummingbird Centre] - 673 ft. 57 floors

I'm tempted to believe the writer used my list as their source.
UrbanDB has 13 qualifying entries on their list, Emporis also has 13, & Skyscraperpage 9.

Back