Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I'm not from Ryerson but I have a question for any alumni/students: Would Jorgenson offer any publicly accessible views of the pit? It's the only semi-public building nearby that I can think of that might have a view

thanks for the great updates dt !!

I'm very impressed at the pace of work @ Aura ... way to go Canderel Stoneridge !!

Actually, there was a notice in RoCP late last week...they are apparently behind schedule in excavation and shoring, due to unforeseen obstructions (not clarified). They've gotten permission to start work earlier on Saturdays when necessary (8am rather than 9am), though there was no real work last Saturday (it looked like they were doing some repairs to the largest excavator).

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I noticed that they seem to be slow in putting up more wood slats for the shoring and there has been some activity on the east edge of the site (Yonge) close to Gerrard. Last week it seemed like they were spraying something on the exposed edge there (exposed, with no slats yet). Also, there's still a sizable piece of foundation from the old buildings remaining in the middle of the site. They don't seem to have done much work on it recently.

I'll try to post some photos later today.

A lot of water? I barely see any in these newer pictures, except for a few puddles.

When i was there a week and a half ago.. i did see a large puddle of water accumulate at the South-East corner (Yonge/Gerard).. I was thinking of renaming it to "Massive Puddle at College Park" lol..
I noticed tons of slops due to excavation.. It would be awesome if they could temporarily convert the site to a motorcycle race event.. sweeet!

Anyone know when we can expect a completion for excavation/the pouring of the first foundations?.. I would expect to see us start pouring concrete by the fall at the latest so... I can remember a couple posts back someone said they where going about 3 floors down... and at the rate we're going now, it seems like we'll get there pretty quick!

I'd guess late Fall. Things will slow down as they get deeper into the pit, and they also have to deal with that driveway running through the excavation

Some new photos from yesterday.

All the photos can be viewed in full resolution by clicking the image and clicking "All Sizes" above the image on the flickr page. The whole set of images can be viewed at my flickr set.

Overview:

They've shifted the ramp again. On the south side, where wood slats haven't been put up yet, they've been drilling a bunch of holes today.

Some closeups:

This machine (above) has been around this location for several days. I'm not sure what it's doing, but it seems like whatever is going on there might be the source of some delay. I believe that it was involved in creating that thing (?) sticking out of the wall to the right. It looks like some sort of anchor or receptacle. I would be really interested to know what's going on here. They've made no progress in putting up the wood slats for the shoring on this side.

There still seems to be plenty of leftovers from the foundations of the old buildings. This might also be the source of some delay. I'm not sure how far down it goes (they're one level down right now), but they hadn't made much progress on it for the past week. There seems to be more work there today.

I think the blue machine is probably putting in tiebacks, but I could be wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tieback_(geotechnical)

In short, they're steel rods sticking under the road that help strnegthen the foundation wall until the interior structure is complete.

Thanks, volkaholic. I think you're right. I just noticed that they have some long steel rods laid out and they're now feeding one to the machine.

so i just got off the phone with the sales representative at CP:Aura. I was inquiring about the occupancy date and whether they expected a delay. Given that construction commenced this year, I thought it was unreasonable to expect occupancy for fall of 2011. The sales rep said that they did not receive any information from the builder regarding a delay in occupancy, and that everyone would be notified if there was. just an update for everyone.

btw, thanks for the pics ether!

so i just got off the phone with the sales representative at CP:Aura. I was inquiring about the occupancy date and whether they expected a delay. Given that construction commenced this year, I thought it was unreasonable to expect occupancy for fall of 2011. The sales rep said that they did not receive any information from the builder regarding a delay in occupancy, and that everyone would be notified if there was. just an update for everyone.

btw, thanks for the pics ether!

I highly doubt occupancy will be in 2011. I don't even think 2012.

I highly doubt occupancy will be in 2011. I don't even think 2012.

I agree - not even 2012. Try late 2013 to early 2014 for more realistic dates - and that is for initial occupancy for the lower floors. Concourse and ground level retail will be earler.

AHK

Not as dramatic as ethervizion's photos, these were taken mid-afternoon from the Yonge Street side. One hell of a lot of soil has been moved already.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

From Yonge & Gerrard looking north and west

Mid-block facing west

North side looking south

Back