Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Really? No shoring first? Unless the lot previously had shoring installed for some other proposal that isnt coming to mind (could be the case, I can think of a half dozen parking lots around the city that have shoring along at least a couple sides

Well I see the pile driver is on site, so first they drive the piles(steel beams) down around the edge of the site and then as the dig down they fill in between with wood or concrete shoring tied back to rock. Or did you mean hoarding around the site at street level.

No, I knew the pile driver was on site, but I wasn't sure how they were digging before they had the shoring installed around the perimeter of the excavation. I could see them starting excavation without overhead hoarding, but I didn't understand how they could dig a hole without having the shoring in place.

But after thinking about it, the western side of the lot abutting the Liberties won't need to be shored since they'll be building right up to the other building's foundations, and (depending how deep they're going) the northern side has also been built up underground (not sure how extensive the underground loading facility is, but I take it it's substantial), so they might actually be able to start excavating the western half of the site as soon as they get some shoring driven down along Gerrard.

I just looked quickly on my way out the door this morning, but the digging is occurring on the northeastern portion of the site. It could be that they are just digging up the asphalt - I don't know at this point. One of the cranes was also active. The boom was mostly vertical.

Sorry for not being more specific.

It might have something to do with utilities work - they're digging right outside CP at the south end, just north of the Aura site.

AoD

How far south does the subway platform at College go? I don't think it extends all the way down to the Aura site, but not sure. I'm pretty sure the subway tunnels are directly below Yonge Street as the alignment shifts between College and Wellesley. I would expect similar engineering challenges here with respect to the subway as Shangri-la dealt with during the engineering design phase and excavation.

Great, thanks khristopher!

It says he plans on taking a pic every day and produce a time lapse sequence over time. That would be most interesting. :)

Hi, I'm the one who created the time lapse video. I have posted another one here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethervizion/4255743604/.

I do plan to take a photo everyday. I'll compile the sequence into a time lapse video every once in a while (maybe once a month or so) as well as creating occasional single-day time lapse videos, like the two I've posted so far. I'll be putting everything here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethervizion/sets/72157623163464564/.

Stay tuned!

How far south does the subway platform at College go? I don't think it extends all the way down to the Aura site, but not sure. I'm pretty sure the subway tunnels are directly below Yonge Street as the alignment shifts between College and Wellesley. I would expect similar engineering challenges here with respect to the subway as Shangri-la dealt with during the engineering design phase and excavation.

The platforms don't extend that far south. During the planning process there were exploratory discussions with the proponent, city of toronto planning staff and the TTC regarding a new secondary entrance/exit to College Park station via the Aura extension to the College Park PATH system. The discussions didn't advance very far as it was deemed unfeasible in part due to the location of the station box and other subsurface structures and utilities.

I do plan to take a photo everyday. I'll compile the sequence into a time lapse video every once in a while (maybe once a month or so) as well as creating occasional single-day time lapse videos, like the two I've posted so far.

That would be pretty damn sweet, ether. Thanks a bunch there now.

The platforms don't extend that far south. During the planning process there were exploratory discussions with the proponent, city of toronto planning staff and the TTC regarding a new secondary entrance/exit to College Park station via the Aura extension to the College Park PATH system. The discussions didn't advance very far as it was deemed unfeasible in part due to the location of the station box and other subsurface structures and utilities.

I remember reading about this, but thanks for refreshing this point. It is a shame that College cannot get a secondary entrance. It shouldn't matter much if Aura is connected to the College Park PATH. Subway users can enter/exit Aura's public realm at Gerrard and Yonge and navigate through the tunnel until they get to College stn.

Do the Aura plans leave space for the possible PATH connections to the Delta Chelsea or Ryerson University?

Do the Aura plans leave space for the possible PATH connections to the Delta Chelsea or Ryerson University?

A few years ago The Star showed a plan to connect College Park to the PATH network, going via Ryerson to 10 Dundas East. I haven't heard anything about it in quite a while, but it would certainly be a significant expansion. RoCP are connected to College Park too so it would add three condos.

And I believe it would be the PATH's first Dolarama, which is certainly worthy of celebration.

Back