Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Originally Posted by AlvinofDiaspar

I can't speak for the others and their preferences - but the design talent of a proven architectural firm and one that isn't is clear to me from Day 1. IMO Aura was messy then, and though the DRP cleaned things up a bit, the design remains ho-hum.

Now what I *do* find interesting is that people who nitpick on relatively minor aesthetic issues at say the X has absolutely nothing to say about design excellence here, for a tower that is going to be far more prominent in the skyline.

AoD

The rooftop mech. room at the nearly completed X has been criticized by some, the rest of the building has turned out beautifully so far. As for Aura, we've learned not to take renderings too seriously (although some of us still slobber over them) so we're a good 3 years & a couple thousand posts away before it comes time to nitpick Aura.

The only bad thing about Aura is that the next time I stay at the Delta Chelsea my view will be blocked.

Great to see it beginning, however!

Wasn’t there a rumour about the Delta Chelsea receiving a facelift? Not sure a simple facelift would cut it though.

I can see the Delta Chelsea building getting imploded in the near future, i believe this development will kick start future tall towers around that intersection-area.

Not to, uh, defend the architecture, but...why? Implosion's for more obviously decayed urban situations. If nothing else, Delta Chelsea ain't decayed.

And as far as facelifts go, remember my past caveat re the Sheraton Centre. As much as you loathe it now, you might wind up loathing it even more in the aftermath. On the whole, I'll take the Delta Chelsea "as is" over the Rape Of The Westbury a few blocks north...

I am also geekily-happy about this getting built for many reasons. I hope that it brings new life to the College Park mall (thought the Metro and Richtree have gone some distance to doing that already); it fills what is a longstanding gap in the Yonge Street urban fabric; it pushes College Park and the northern reaches of the PATH system ever closer together so that we might someday have an uberPATH all the way up to College; it will hide the RoCPs (buildings that really grate on me) from sight to some extent when I am walking on Yonge; it will likewise diminish the view of the Delta; it completes development on a huge block of land that has traditionally been a graveyard of proposals (Eatons Tower, Maryon Tower, a second Maclean-Hunter building, three condos along Gerrard - I can't think of another single location with more failed proposals); and it's tall. I'm not above liking tall for tall's sake, though of course I will make all the right noises about meeting the street properly & etc.

No doubt it will disappoint in some ways as it comes to fruition, but from here to there, there's so much fun.

There's still a massive amount of parking on Yonge between Lakeshore and Queens Quay. But I expect that will change before long.

There are also several lots left on Bay Street that need to go.

There's a Loblaws parking lot south of Lawrence.

I hope we here something soon on the redevelopment of One Yonge. That would make such huge difference to that community.

There's few other parking lots on Yonge. Sporting Life north of Eglinton, LCBO at Davisville, Rogers at Roxborough, lot south of Summerhill Station, Yonge and Glebe etc. Then there's empty lots with buildings coming sooner or later. Yonge and Merton, Yonge and Gould and Yonge and Bloor are three.

Isn't this the last Yonge St. parking lot below the 401?

There's 3 or 5 parking lots along Yonge between the 401 and Lawrence alone: the golf course lot (not exactly fronting Yonge, but still a huge void), one at the corner of William Carson, one large one at the corner of Wilson, one large one next to the Miller Tavern, and one at the Loblaws at Yonge & Yonge (though that is more of a parking structure rather than a surface lot).

At Yonge & Church, where the Canadian Tire is, there is a huge parking lot, just beside the street. It should be developed soon by Milan conds. (I think) It's not right on Yonge St but it's just behind the small building. Fortunately, it will be gone soon too.

Back