Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

As someone who's worked with food since I was 15, I suppose I am obligated to dislike "suburban" franchises and I do appreciate good local restaurants far more than chains. However, I think a lot of people hate on these restaurants for the sake of hating on them to give off a perceived superior taste. I don't see the issue with these restaurants opening here, as they'll no doubt bring life and people to the area. Not everyone is ready to take the plunge to unique dining experiences, and appreciate decent quality and consistency that chains offer. Canyon Creek isn't so bad, I've eaten there and enjoyed my meal. Canyon Creek and Alice Fazooli's seem like an appropriate fit for the general area. By the definitions tossed around here, Yonge Street from Queen and up has generally been a suburb in an urban setting for ages anyway (in terms of retail/mall and restaurant options).

yeah thats what i was gonna say too, its on Yonge, the whole strip is the "times squarification" of downtown, not the suburbanization of it really. The restaurants in Times square are just as franchised and it certainly doesn't seem "suburban" to me.

Surburbia also tends to be characterized as being populated by bland and monotonous franchises. Part of the allure of downtown is that it's generally populated with unique, interesting, and often superior businesses. I know I personally would never, ever, patronize a Canyon Creek in that location when five minutes to the south I could have Barberian's, or 10 minutes to the north I could have Carman's.

'Suburbia' is full of unique (usually small) restaurants in strip plazas and malls at almost every corner. For instance, I would argue that the best 'ethnic' food, and the widest variety, is outside of the core, in the hundreds of small independent restaurants contained in the inner and outer suburbs.

And conversely, the "ethnic" food court outlets (such as at College Park) tend to have a well-patronized, er, "virtuousness" lacking at, say, KFC/Taco Bell--which is, within a College Park context, kind of the downscale version of what Canyon Creek's presently being tarred for.

'Suburbia' is full of unique (usually small) restaurants in strip plazas and malls at almost every corner. For instance, I would argue that the best 'ethnic' food, and the widest variety, is outside of the core, in the hundreds of small independent restaurants contained in the inner and outer suburbs.

Absolutely! For example, there's a single plaza tucked away off Dixie north of Eglinton that offers Afghani, Indian, Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai, Caribbean, Italian, Irish, and Mediterranean cuisines all through small, independently owned restaurants.

Absolutely! For example, there's a single plaza tucked away off Dixie north of Eglinton that offers Afghani, Indian, Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai, Caribbean, Italian, Irish, and Mediterranean cuisines all through small, independently owned restaurants.

Is that 10 different restaurants our is it 2-3 restaurants offering all these ethnic dishes?

Is that 10 different restaurants our is it 2-3 restaurants offering all these ethnic dishes?

I don't know that specific area, but I know where I live there's lots of independent restaurants featuring all the above ethnic foods nearby. Mississauga has all sorts of ethnic food :)

When I was in California, I saw alot of Chinese-Italian restaurants.:confused:

I never did understand how the combo came about !?!

Aura College Park construction

It is indeed great news that Candrel has applied for the lane north of Gerrard & Yonge to be closed for a few years. Fingers crossed... construction will soon begin.
And I've been told that if they add 10 floors, it will be somewhere in the middle of the building, not on top. The penthouses will still have their fabulous view...just from a bit higher.

When I was in California, I saw alot of Chinese-Italian restaurants.:confused:

I never did understand how the combo came about !?!

haha, interesting combo. Possibly, inter-racial marriage?

It is indeed great news that Candrel has applied for the lane north of Gerrard & Yonge to be closed for a few years. Fingers crossed... construction will soon begin.
And I've been told that if they add 10 floors, it will be somewhere in the middle of the building, not on top. The penthouses will still have their fabulous view...just from a bit higher.

that is great news for penthouse owners. It's simply a great building. Spoke to the owners couple of times, nice people. Funny thing is, we didn't even talk about condos.

Why would the view from the penthouse units change if 10 floors were added above them?

Why would the view from the penthouse units change if 10 floors were added above them?

haha...i had a good chuckle there. it's nice to find out the penthouse owners can feel that their units are worth a little bit more (adding in the premiums) :D

haha...i had a good chuckle there. it's nice to find out the penthouse owners can feel that their units are worth a little bit more (adding in the premiums) :D

I was also going to add, if the 10 floors won't go on the top where will they go - underneath, on the side? ;)

Back