Hamilton Augusta Block Buildings 2 & 3 | ?m | 8s | Core Urban Inc. | Lintack Architects

Any word on when those Pedestrian-Blocking fences are coming down?

And has the ground floor ‘market’ brand been named yet? I’m guessing it’s just Hasty Market moving over from Corktown Plaza?
I'd assume once all the exterior work is done that could hurt pedestrians. It'll be pretty obvious when it's done.

As for the grocer, not sure.

I meant the city-installed fences along the west side of James.
Ahh, those won't come down until James St S is tamed from it's car dominated nature. As it stands there is a huge desire path to Augusta from the west side of James, and without a crosswalk people just jaywalk in front of 60km/h - 70km/h traffic. James St S needs a road diet and to be designed more like James North with trees and bumpouts and Ped crossings. That will likely take years to get going though. You have to pick battles around the downtown and make it better incrementally. We aren't going into a Europe/Paris fix everything all at once mode anytime soon with the interests of existing drivers taking precedent over of safety of those just existing downtown.

the railings are there because of the grade difference between the sidewalk and road, it has nothing to do with the nature of James.

Cars rarely travel at that claimed speed from my experience anyway on this block.

Also - crossing distances on this block are already quite short with a signalized intersection literally 30 metres north of Augusta. A signalized crossing at Augusta would be completely overkill.

the railings are there because of the grade difference between the sidewalk and road, it has nothing to do with the nature of James.

Cars rarely travel at that claimed speed from my experience anyway on this block.

Also - crossing distances on this block are already quite short with a signalized intersection literally 30 metres north of Augusta. A signalized crossing at Augusta would be completely overkill.
The railings were definitely installed to reduce pedestrian crossings. This was the stated reason given by the city. The previous design literally had stairs off the sidewalk for the crossing to Augusta. When the sidewalk was rebuilt the stairs were not included, and planters were installed to reduce crossings.

Id love to see that empty lot by Young/Hughson developed into another pre-war esque brick or precast/stone beauty.

The Evolution of the Augusta-James crossing, from 2012 - 2023:

Era of the Stairs

IMG_4041.jpeg

Stair Removal, Planter Pedestrian Blockades Installed

IMG_4042.jpeg

City abandons planters, they become weed boxes, in typical Hamilton fashion

IMG_4043.jpeg

City abandons planters all together as they don’t want to invest money in planting them, install tall fences instead

IMG_4044.jpeg

All this happened during the time period the City claims to be making downtown more pedestrian friendly…

This removal of the stairs, in addition to the removal of the Macnab Pedestrian Tunnel, all in the name of ‘safety’ is nonsense.

Explain how the city is making downtown more pedestrian friendly when examples like this exist.

And how much did all this cost taxpayers?

Id love to see that empty lot by Young/Hughson developed into another pre-war esque brick or precast/stone beauty.

Maybe the owners of the commercial space at 10 Young will finally clean up their space, maybe even open a business, now that CoreUrban has spruced up this block!

IMG_4045.jpeg

(via Google maps street view)

Core Urban hosted an Open House at Greystone this weekend. Photos from Joe. The commercial space on the ground floor will be a hot-food-serving franchise of the Hasty Market chain. So a sort-of solution to the long-time hopes of the Corktown nhood for groceries.

1698774366472.png

View from the balcony of a third-floor one-bedroom:
1698774815702.png

The James St-facing half of a third-floor 2-bedroom:
1698774843637.png

And a view from the side bedroom of that same apartment:
1698775158840.png

And lastly, the final building of the three-phase development around the corner that's nearing exterior completion:
1698775199981.png

Hasty Hot Plate?! That’s disappointing.

Seems to be catered to the attached AirBnB / Office Workers rather than the Corktown Community.

I was really hoping for a Rabba as Hasty’s food quality (incl. that Corktown one) was pretty sub-par.

Nice buildings though..

Hasty Hot Plate?! That’s disappointing.

Seems to be catered to the attached AirBnB / Office Workers rather than the Corktown Community.

I was really hoping for a Rabba as Hasty’s food quality (incl. that Corktown one) was pretty sub-par.

Nice buildings though..

What is Hasty Hot Plate?

Back