News   Apr 25, 2024
 205     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Toronto Architecture From The 1960's and 70's

The balconies have been replaced and the horizontal bands have been covered in EIFS, but it still looks petty decent. The one across the street looks much worse. And, yes, it is sad to see so many old the older apartments being reclad in EIFS, corrugated metal, etc.

Last edited:
I don't think I will ever grow to love this building on any level: urbanistically, architecturally, interior design-wise or even as a library patron. Fails on so many fronts....

I like the inside. The outside is pretty bad though. Definitely could use a renovation/recladding that's more than a single glass box out front.

I don't think I will ever grow to love this building on any level: urbanistically, architecturally, interior design-wise or even as a library patron. Fails on so many fronts....
The interior is pretty interesting, but the exterior is forgettable.

When the container overwhelms the contents . . .

Regards,
J T

I like the inside. The outside is pretty bad though. Definitely could use a renovation/recladding that's more than a single glass box out front.

I actually don't mind the exterior and preferred it pre-glass box--even if it looks like the world's largest Neilson Chunk.

And the inside--well, better in the past when it still had the hanging banners and the library didn't occupy every square inch of the ground floor space...

The original glass box proposal for the reference library would have been far more interesting in a Hi-Tech, Centre Pompidou-ish sort of way (though one'd imagine it would look far, far better with late 20thc glazing tech - ultra low iron glass, etc)
6a00e5509ea6a18834017c31b57483970b-800wi

(From TPL: http://torontopubliclibrary.typepad.com/trl/toronto-reference-library-renovation-project/page/2/)

It would have the significance and interest like Foster's Willis building.

AoD

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back