Toronto Aquabella at Bayside | 50.9m | 14s | Tridel | 3XN

Love all those terrace plantings that will likely never be there.
The gardens are part of the site plan approval, and this is an expensive building. Besides, Tridel has always been good with the quality-of-life details, so the cynicism is unfounded.

I agree! There is no reason to put a street along the lake. People can park a block away and walk to any restaurants or stores along the lakefront. It's not needed at all and it would be a lot more pedestrian friendly and animated to turn it into a public square type space along the lake.

Hard to disagree, but I'll give it a try.

If the City continues to expect/require retail on the waterfront side of this neighbourhood, what with the extreme weather we endure for months on end, freezing cold or boiling hot with a few temperate breaks in between, it's unrealistic to expect customers to hike from QQ to the water. Especially without the long promised but nowhere-in-sight shiny streetcars. Give it a shot on a rainy night or into a north wind in February. You'll likely not want to repeat that experience.

Without access, visibility and some parking, it's a guarantee of failure for retail. Location is otherwise irrelevant. Those who think they can swim upstream against this fact are headed straight to bankruptcy court. Keep in mind, even with all three of the aforementioned ingredients retail has the highest mortality rate of any commercial business.

Humber Bay Shores near Park Lawn and Lake Shore has Marine Parade Drive as its separation between condo towers and the pedestrian pathways. Having a mix of local and visiting customers is only now reaching the point after 20 years where retail can survive and thrive.

If you look west of Yonge, the only waterfront operation that has shown some staying power is Amsterdam's. They offer street and adjacent underground parking or taxi access to their front door. For the rest at Harbourfront where the only choice is to walk, it's lights out for most operators after one very long and barren winter season of empty tables. To expect otherwise is foolish or uninformed.

Conversely, elsewhere around town where the City's obsession has forced retail on the ground floors of every condo tower where there's clearly no market for retail whatsoever has cause many a project to suffer the inglorious fate of empty units or crap that destroys the whole street vista. And let's not forget Aura which is oh so close to some of the most success retail in Canada, yet that retail experiment hasn't got a hope of life even after death.

From Dec WT Board Meeting - CEO Report:

East Bayfront (EBF)
Bayside
As part of Waterfront Toronto’s obligations to our development partner Hines, we continue to pursue comprehensive environmental and municipal approvals for Phase 2 of Bayside including subdivision approval with the City and a Record of Site Condition (RSC) with the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC).

Waterfront Toronto, Hines, Tridel and the City have executed the Development Agreement and Agreement of Purchase and Sale allowing Tridel to launch the sales of Aquabella, the next planned residential building in Bayside. Sales have been brisk with over 75% of the building’s units being sold. Waterfront Toronto will close with Hines and Tridel on September 1, 2017, with construction planned to commence immediately thereafter

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uplo..._report___december_12_2016_consolidated_1.pdf

AoD

From that report:

"Waterfront Toronto, Hines, Tridel and the City have executed the Development Agreement and Agreement of Purchase and Sale allowing Tridel to launch the sales of Aquabella, the next planned residential building in Bayside. Sales have been brisk with over 75% of the building’s units being sold. Waterfront Toronto will close with Hines and Tridel on September 1, 2017, with construction planned to commence immediately thereafter."

I've heard from many that this will be a super ultra luxurious residence and the best TRIDEL has ever built, no wonder for an ultra expensive condominiums. BUT does it really worth it ? :cool:

6.5 Million dollar ,,,I would build my own palace for that amount of money.

Aquabella.jpg

Attachments

• Aquabella.jpg
    Aquabella.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 570
It's >400 sq m on the waterfront 14 floors up; much better views than a house on the lake would get you. Not to mention you're so close to downtown. People pay this much for a similar sized house on the lake in Oakville. I'd much rather get that penthouse if I was deciding between the two.

I've never really understood the popularity of lake views. I'd much rather overlook the city than some water....but that's just me.
It's not just you, I completely agree with your questioning the 'value' of lake views - the lake looks pretty good during daylight hours (particularly in summer when there are lots of boats and activity) but is quite 'dead' at night. The City is, generally, a more interesting view!

It's not just you, I completely agree with your questioning the 'value' of lake views - the lake looks pretty good during daylight hours (particularly in summer when there are lots of boats and activity) but is quite 'dead' at night. The City is, generally, a more interesting view!
Southern exposure would give you the most amount of sunshine and to many condo dwellers that's much more important than city views

It's all personal preference. I'd take a luxury penthouse condo with a lake view that's also close to downtown if I had the money as well. But some others will value a personal yard, big garage/basement, etc. Whatever floats your boat I say.

I've never really understood the popularity of lake views. I'd much rather overlook the city than some water....but that's just me.
This $6.5M penthouse will give you not only a lake view, but a fantastic city view as well. I wish I could afford it.

Is that an actual plan to have the slip freeze in winter to allow for skating? It would be a really neat touch, but I've never seen it on any plans

Back