Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

When did this happen? Is there a site we can find more info? Sounds amazing, thanks for the info!

You can see it on the large render above. It actully looks like a twin of the 50 Bloor St. W project. Unless that's the parking garage project on the south side of Cumberland. Hard to tell.

Check out these drawings posted by AndrewJM3D over at SSC....some interesting stuff regarding the application for 50 Bloor W. and surroundings...

2521408-T1024768.jpg

2521409-T1024768.jpg

If all those towers actually get built the Bay-Bloor-Yonge area will be practically a second downtown. Some pretty impressive elevations.

If all those towers actually get built the Bay-Bloor-Yonge area will be practically a second downtown. Some pretty impressive elevations.

In height only - there are no proposed office projects - Yonge and Bloor could become a large vertical suburb.

In height only - there are no proposed office projects - Yonge and Bloor could become a large vertical suburb.

Well there's already a good 10 million square feet in the area.

I'd love for there to be more but personally I think Queen / King east and west, along with the waterfront (East Bayfront / West Donlands) can use the new office development much more.

"Vertical suburb"? How can an extremely dense, walkable neighbourhood with a lot of retail at the bottom of each building be likened to a suburb? A lack of abundant office space isn't enough to warrant such a characterization.

vertical suburb?

On one of the most expensive retail streets on earth?

This street is the Ginza of Canada, no chance of it ever becoming a suburb.

I'd love for there to be more but personally I think Queen / King east and west, along with the waterfront (East Bayfront / West Donlands) can use the new office development much more.

Hmm, 10 million sq.ft. doesnt seems like much for that area, could easily be doubled...all these proposed condo towers are OK, but in the near future lets hope to see a couple large office towers proposed for that Yonge/Bay-Bloor area

As to East Bayfront/West Donlands, a CBD with no subway access? I doubt any banks and large firms would want to move there.
I agree the CBD can expand east/west along King/Queen though, between Church and John for examples.

Offices are going closer to Union Station. I wouldn't expect much up here at any point.

I think the union station offices appeal to the western 905 crowd. However if they did build some buildings here it would appeal to alot of Torontonians who would no longer need to go south of bloor during rush hour on the ttc. Really this would make a one seat ttc ride for many torontonians so I cant see why it wouldnt be a great location. PLus you could do some yorkville shopping at lunch. Win WIn. It might also be helpful for the city since it might relieve pressure and the NEED for a DRL ASAP.... Knock down the BAY and build some offices please.

Well, now that I've seen a more detailed rendering, my judgement is that the building starts off great at the base and gets progressively worse as it goes up. The podium is actually very well done, and kind of reminds me of the MoMA in New York for some reason. It actually is worthy of an 80 storey skyscraper at a prime location. Too bad that can't be said for the rest of the building.

I think the worst thing about this building is that it is 4 clashing styles, one on top of another. I think I would have accepted it more if the building was bland, but of a uniform design from top to bottom (think 10 York).

Agreed. I find it a little bizzare.

I think the union station offices appeal to the western 905 crowd. However if they did build some buildings here it would appeal to alot of Torontonians who would no longer need to go south of bloor during rush hour on the ttc. Really this would make a one seat ttc ride for many torontonians so I cant see why it wouldnt be a great location. PLus you could do some yorkville shopping at lunch. Win WIn. It might also be helpful for the city since it might relieve pressure and the NEED for a DRL ASAP.... Knock down the BAY and build some offices please.

Why would this only relate to the western GTA? An office building by union is very accessible to anyone on the 7 GO lines as well as the subway. As much as I like working in the Yonge/Bloor area, it will never be the superior location.

Back