Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

I really wish the square grid pattern was taken up to the upper setback- right now it looks like two buildings stacked up on each other.

Now that I've seen the rendering up close and in detail, I like it even more. I especially like how the balconies appear to be recessed from the outer facade of the tower but protruding from the white-framed cavities in the facade, as though there are different "neighbourhoods" of balconies. It's actually hard to describe, but I recommend that everyone take a look at the largest and most detailed rendering. I can't think of another building in the city with a similar design.

I'm definitely getting a very '70s vibe from this tower, in a good way. It's restrained and handsome.

I am really not impressed with the ground level. What is there now works really well.

Also, what is the rational for slamming it up against 2 Bloor West? That it is closer to the intersection? It feels both too wide open and too claustrophobic.

The tower is okay, but something this tall needs to be more of a "leader" both architecturally and in the neighbourhood. I think One Bloor East has it, but not this proposal. To compare it to say, basketball (bear with me, I hope this makes sense), the Raptors might have been competitive with either Vince Carter or Chris Bosh leading, but they were never going to win a championship with them as their #1 player. Carter or Bosh were better off as second or third best player on a winning team. This building is okay, but it feels like third best. Something here needs to brilliant. It needs to be a leader and it needs to be the best.

Oxford would care somewhat. More constrained views = harder to lease office space.

What is more surprising to me from how close these towers are is an apparent confidence from Morguard that it could sell condo units facing east in 2 Bloor West. I wouldn't want an office tower that close out my windows.

Looks like they have etched in Cumberland Terrace or the TPA proposal for 55 floors into the background.. can't really tell. Just looking at the rendering they have a blank facade reflecting 50 Bloor in the glass.

Interesting, considering that these proposals will likely get underway at the same time, they might know more here than we do at present regarding the status of these projects.

I find this rather dull, especially the podium. The podium has no charm whatsoever. For a development at this prominent location, you would think they would pull out all the stops. It's just so underwhelming.

Now that I've seen the rendering up close and in detail, I like it even more. I especially like how the balconies appear to be recessed from the outer facade of the tower but protruding from the white-framed cavities in the facade, as though there are different "neighbourhoods" of balconies. It's actually hard to describe, but I recommend that everyone take a look at the largest and most detailed rendering. I can't think of another building in the city with a similar design.

I'm definitely getting a very '70s vibe from this tower, in a good way. It's restrained and handsome.

Exactly what I was thinking. We are finally starting to hide the ugliness of balconies in TO and integrating them into the building architecture. I like this one but then again, I like simple boxes.

Back