Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

I would. So will all of my neighbours. Let's build this beside your place and see how you feel.

Toronto is very big and there is only 2% of the land that's likely to see very tall building (200m+) - yet you choose to live in one of these areas but oppose any skyscrapers, what's the logic here? Staying more than 500 meters away from Yonge/Bay and you will be safe from a 300m building ever showing up in your neighbourhood. There are tons of space in Toronto where you don't even see anything more than 50 meter, why not move there instead of sitting in Yorkville whining about potential supertalls?

This is an parking lot 20 meter away from my condo, and I will be ecstatic if a 300m thing is proposed there.

Thanks for posting the Rogers work, CN. I certainly like all three examples for their form. But dare I say it? I'd love to see a different fabric than what I see in these examples, save for the first one - that's too totally brilliant just as it is. :)

Last edited:
I live in the Annex and have a car, but only use it about twice per month - effectively, only for visting my parents in Burlington (where I grew up) and visiting my wife's parents (also in the suburbs). Otherwise, it just sits. Even in winter, I much prefer to walk everywhere or, if the distances are long, take the TTC. I really love to drive, but on two-lane rural roads -- not in the city (and not even in the suburbs, for that matter).

I thought about buying a car too before, but like you, I probably will need it for less than 4 times a month, so i decided against it. Owning a car in downtown will cost me $300 a month on insurance and $200 on parking; while I can rent one for about $40-50 a day. That's only $160-200 if I drive for 4 days a month, and I am not including the initial cost of buying and maintenance etc. The math is simple.

Yes it is a bit of a hassle to rent every time, but consider the money saved it is totally worth it. The TTC is bad, but I am dealing with it.

I agree that 50 Bloor is perfectly appropriate for an 80+ storey building. But the argument that cities automatically equal skyscrapers and if you don't like a proposal you should move the the country is ridiculous.

People complain about skyscrapers don't really have to move to the country. What they need to do is simply live in a neighbourhood more than half a mile away from Yonge St/Bay St. Isn't that easy to do? Move west of Spadina and I am sure you will be safe. Toronto is not exactly going 200 meters in every corner.

You can't choose to live in an area that is most likely to be intensified but complain about new proposals for tall buildings blocking your view. Areas close to the subway and a major commerce center is desirable for more people, who don't mind the high density for the convenience. If you can't deal with the high density, move to a different neighbourhood. What you are saying is, I like my hood but god forbids it goes tall so that other people get the chance to live here as well! How selfish.

It's at frickin' Yonge and Bloor, the most iconically urban spot in Canada. Do you expect cottages here?

is yonge and bloor the most "iconically urban spot in canada".

What is urban? We are all making an assumption that x number of floors is urban. Some may argue that Old Montreal is "the most iconically urban spot in canada."

I love the new four seasons buildlings, but I'm also very struck at how TALL it is compared to the rest of yorkville. This building will be one-third taller than the 4S. Is it appropriate? Maybe... but there's an assumption on this board that tall = urban and that the taller the better. Taller raises questions of traffic - how are the 600 parking spots going to exit or enter the building? What happens while this beast is being constructed? How will these new units impact parkland in the area etc...

While Yonge and Bloor may be the centre of our subway system, we do forget that it borders on some VERY low level buildings and one could make an argument that tall buildings should tapper as we head north from the Financial District.

I wish people would be less fanboys about height and more tolerant towards other opinions. Just my opinion.

It's arguably the best known intersection in Canada. Which other would you suggest? St. Laurent & Ste. Catherine in Montreal? Portage and Main in Winnipeg?

And of course it also has a 70 storey building going up at it, which will be just across the street from 50 Bloor W., so I don't understand how the latter building can be so unacceptably high if the One Bloor is OK.

What is urban? We are all making an assumption that x number of floors is urban. Some may argue that Old Montreal is "the most iconically urban spot in canada."

I love the new four seasons buildlings, but I'm also very struck at how TALL it is compared to the rest of yorkville. This building will be one-third taller than the 4S. Is it appropriate? Maybe... but there's an assumption on this board that tall = urban and that the taller the better. Taller raises questions of traffic - how are the 600 parking spots going to exit or enter the building? What happens while this beast is being constructed? How will these new units impact parkland in the area etc...

While Yonge and Bloor may be the centre of our subway system, we do forget that it borders on some VERY low level buildings and one could make an argument that tall buildings should tapper as we head north from the Financial District.

I wish people would be less fanboys about height and more tolerant towards other opinions. Just my opinion.

the financial district is very very tiny and it is silly to think highrises should stay in that area. the entire downtown should contain mostly highrises, otherwise what's the point of a downtown? downtown means compact, high density. If you don't like it, don't live in downtown, which is only 2% of Toronto.

It is not about not tolerant toward other opinions. it is about some people refusing to accept the changes happening and expecting nothing changes. Did more skycrapers squeeze your space? the vast majority of Toronto are low rise in nature, why do you have to stick with the small area that is going tall? You wanna live in quiet hood with nothing but 2-3 storey Victorian housing, fine, we respect that. East York or Leslieville is 10 minutes driving distance away, aren't they? Why do you want to stay at Yonge and Bloor??

The area close to downtown Yonge subway line will keep growing taller and taller. If it is not your life style, there is plenty of options for you. I absolutely hate East York etc because it is so boring but I didn't complain about the lack of bars and theatres there. I simply choose not to live there. Why can't you do the same?

the financial district is very very tiny and it is silly to think highrises should stay in that area. the entire downtown should contain mostly highrises, otherwise what's the point of a downtown? downtown means compact, high density. If you don't like it, don't live in downtown, which is only 2% of Toronto.

It is not about not tolerant toward other opinions. it is about some people refusing to accept the changes happening and expecting nothing changes. Did more skycrapers squeeze your space? the vast majority of Toronto are low rise in nature, why do you have to stick with the small area that is going tall? You wanna live in quiet hood with nothing but 2-3 storey Victorian housing, fine, we respect that. East York or Leslieville is 10 minutes driving distance away, aren't they? Why do you want to stay at Yonge and Bloor??

The area close to downtown Yonge subway line will keep growing taller and taller. If it is not your life style, there is plenty of options for you. I absolutely hate East York etc because it is so boring but I didn't complain about the lack of bars and theatres there. I simply choose not to live there. Why can't you do the same?

LOVE THIS !!! Well articulated! Cheers!!

Development boards are up on the site.

I walked up and read it: it says 277 m to the top of the mechanical penthouse. The design looked a lot like the Hariri Pontarini design we've seen.

Last edited:
It's arguably the best known intersection in Canada. Which other would you suggest? St. Laurent & Ste. Catherine in Montreal? Portage and Main in Winnipeg?

And of course it also has a 70 storey building going up at it, which will be just across the street from 50 Bloor W., so I don't understand how the latter building can be so unacceptably high if the One Bloor is OK.

Yonge and Dundas, King and Bay?

"the financial district is very very tiny and it is silly to think highrises should stay in that area. the entire downtown should contain mostly highrises, otherwise what's the point of a downtown? downtown means compact, high density. If you don't like it, don't live in downtown, which is only 2% of Toronto. "
- the area south of bloor is in no way part just 2% of Toronto.

I actually don't live at Yonge and Bloor.

I was commenting at the obsessive nature of height on this forum. Height = good. No questions asked.

Again is Paris less urban than Yonge and Bloor. Please actually read what I wrote about height instead of just telling me to go move from an area.... I actually don't live in.

Development boards are up on the site.

I walked up and read it: it says 277 m to the top of the mechanical penthouse. The design looked a lot like the Hariri Pontarini design we've seen.

As it's not posted in this thread, here's a reminder of what the Hariri Pontarini concept looked like:

50bloorwest.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me if a Rogers design looked somewhat similar.

Back