Attachments

• IMG_20171023_153213.jpg
    IMG_20171023_153213.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_20171023_152423-PANO.jpg
    IMG_20171023_152423-PANO.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 470
Reactions: PMT
Are they still planning on butchering the top?

If not, this project could be be salvageable in the future.

I hope they finish everything but that and run out of money and are forced to at least keep SOME of the balance up top.

It's a shame we've gotten to this point; but I wish another developer would just buy this from Cadillac Fairview, demolish it, and build a new tower from scratch here. This one will win the PUG Awards for 2018.

I like it, turning out better than expected. To be fair this was never a pretty building to begin with.

When "better than expected" dovetails into "never a pretty building to begin with", that automatically signals amateurish ignorance regarding Toronto's 60s/70s architectural history. Sorry to reiterate that point.

Then again, UT these days is a place where all the discussion over Commerce Court 3 is about the tower and hardly any is about what it's replacing...

When "better than expected" dovetails into "never a pretty building to begin with", that automatically signals amateurish ignorance regarding Toronto's 60s/70s architectural history. Sorry to reiterate that point.

Then again, UT these days is a place where all the discussion over Commerce Court 3 is about the tower and hardly any is about what it's replacing...

I think "amateurish" is a bit much; it's possible to recognize the importance of bygone periods of architectural styles and also to be not particularly fond of any particular example of any particular style -- or of a particular style itself.

That said, I, too, think this has gotten worse with the addition of absolutely every single new panel.

I don't much like Robarts library either but I definitely wouldn't want to see it reclad in spandrel. This office building is representative of a noteworthy architectural style with some historical significance- Parkin was Canada's leading mid-century modern architects and I believe this building is his only example downtown. If it had to be reclad then why not at least stay faithful to the original design? The grey spandrel looks terrible to me and the 're-designed 'top is patently bizarre.

The top probably got axed with all the new glass installed to start demolishing the top.

Back