Toronto 365 Church Condos | 102.1m | 31s | Menkes | Wallman Architects

Great news to have more large-scale rental developments rather than just buildings sold to individual condo investors who rent out their condo units. If I was renting again, I'd prefer to live in a well-managed, purpose-built rental building than rent a condo unit.

It is good, but new rentals are priced really high, might as well rent a condo. Same or very similar price points.

Yeah, that stretch of Church isn't a particularly happy one.

It really isn't, but these buildings will help liven it up a bit.

Okay, so to set this straight, this is supposed to be for 355 and not 365 Church? Even though it says 365? AFAIK, 355 is at the OMB, like 365 was. Is this a sign that the City and developers are coming to an agreement in advance of the OMB hearing to bring this in at 31 storeys (or just 30 + mechanical penthouse) instead of the 34 + mechanical penthouse that the application sought?

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 1Z9

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 267611 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Nov 20, 2013

Project: Apartment Building New Building

Description: Proposal for a 31 storey apartment building with 3 storey podium and retail uses at grade.

Hmm.

That's what I initially thought, it's the other obvious conclusion, but I believe that 365 should be further along though at this point. I'll try to get an answer tomorrow.

The above 12 posts were originally in the 355 Church thread. They should have been in this thread. I'll try to clear a few things up with the next posts.

TORONTO ON M5B 1Z9

Description: Proposal for a 31 storey apartment building with 3 storey podium and retail uses at grade.

Interesting, It won't be a condo. going with rentals..

The Zoning Review Notices do not typically differentiate between rental or condo buildings. When they say "apartment" that's not a definitive statement that the building will be rental.

More addressing of the location and type of building…

TORONTO ON M5B 1Z9

Great news to have more large-scale rental developments rather than just buildings sold to individual condo investors who rent out their condo units. If I was renting again, I'd prefer to live in a well-managed, purpose-built rental building than rent a condo unit.

p.s. For all the criticism that Tridel gets on UT for bland architecture (which I think that they are rectifying recently), they actually do produce a well-constructed product having their own construction firm and all. A PDI with Tridel is a pleasure and they fix things asap vs. other developers who use other construction firms and have a complete breakdown in organizing anything...with no one hired as quality controllers...resulting in disastrous PDI's. Not naming names here in this respect, just sayin' Tridel wouldn't allow half the things that are acceptable with other developers.

Thats 365 church, this project is 355 Church right beside it. This project is by Tridel.

This project is the red one, the yellow one is Menkes condo project:

jW0NaKT.jpg

Oh sorry, i was commentating on this application posted on this thread

TORONTO ON M5B 1Z9

I thought this was 365 Church too

Rental makes sense here, especially since it's close to Ryerson campus.

Really liking this development along Church, it's so barren right now with the old Barn building, terrible murals, and parking lots.

So in fact this is the yellow one, which was approved at the OMB at 29 storeys. A lot of people — the Planning Department, the local Councillor, and most of the locals were against that height. Now the Zoning Review states 31 storeys. That can be done one of two ways: Menkes can go apply to the Committee of Adjustment for a height increase (if they are doing that, the City does not have a record of that application yet) or they can adjust the floor to ceiling heights to get another 2 storeys in within the already allowed height. They may be doing that, but that might cause them to have to go to the Committee of Adjustment to be allowed more units in the building. We will watch to see what the case may be.

Last edited:
Quick update that the surface parking lot has been fenced off, and looks like they're going to start clearing the property imminently, as of earlier this week.

More addressing of the location and type of building…
So in fact this is the yellow one, which was approved at the OMB at 29 storeys. A lot of people — the Planning Department, the local Councillor, and most of the locals were against that height. Now the Zoning Review states 31 storeys. That can be done one of two ways: Menkes can go apply to the Committee of Adjustment for a height increase (if they are doing that, the City does not have a record of that application yet) or they can adjust the floor to ceiling heights to get another 2 storeys in within the already allowed height. They may be doing that, but that might cause them to have to go to the Committee of Adjustment to be allowed more units in the building. We will watch to see what the case may be.

The board approved the building height in metres, I believe, which gave them flexibility to determine number of storeys.

The surface parking lot is under excavation. A couple of bulldozers on site, and all tenants of the soon to be demolished buildings are gone. Bulldog Coffee just moved about a week ago.

365 Church.jpg
365 Church Shoring.jpg

Shoring machine now set up. I also snapped a shot from my terrace, looking east towards the site (the shoring machine is visible). This will definitely change the neighbourhood.
View of new building site.jpg

Attachments

• 365 Church.jpg
    365 Church.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,998
  • 365 Church Shoring.jpg
    365 Church Shoring.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,063
  • View of new building site.jpg
    View of new building site.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 2,004
Last edited:
This project included 365-375 Church St and now includes 377.

377 apply to the committee to add to the building in Oct and no idea if it was approved or rejected.

Part of the wall the house this building has fail as well having to be brace.

It looks like the owner has now decided to sell to the developer of this project, as an application has been applied for demolition of it and maybe Jan or Feb before the permit is issue.

It should happen in the first place as its out of place and would look odd being there once this project was completed. Its the only thing standing on the site now.

The owner of the 377 property made an agreement with the developer to replace the upper two stories of their property (application sign on the window indicated this). This was an obvious stop-gap measure to deal with stability/safety issues I thought.

Drum - are you saying an entirely new application has been filed?

From a recent evening:

P1440446.jpg

P1440445.jpg

P1440444.jpg

Attachments

• P1440444.jpg
    P1440444.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 794
  • P1440445.jpg
    P1440445.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 745
  • P1440446.jpg