Toronto 31R Parliament Street | 165.8m | 49s | Cityscape | SHoP

Distillery is pretty much basterdized area with all the towers that have gone up recently. This should have been the one area they didn't build towers in. I walk around old montreal and love the atmosphere with the low and midrise buildings there.

No public money for preserving the district - something has to give. In any case, the towers did add a significant amount of local residents and help tie it to St. Lawrence and West Don Lands.

AoD

I think the 4 story podium is a good way to block out the Gardiner and add more retail but I do not like the typical wall of glass retail, especially in the Distillery District. If this is a unique and special area of Toronto, why are they designing the retail, just like every other condo going up in the city? They will be ruining the distinctive look of the Distillery. I think they need to use more red brick, wood and metal, not just glass. All glass retail is just too cold and bland. The areas buildings to look more like a warehouses and less like a typical, new, Liberty Village condo.

I also think the design of the tower is unfortunate. I usually have no issues with height but isn't 57 stories too tall for that neighbourhood? I think the towers they already have built were too tall. Mid-rises under 20 stories would have been more appropriate for the Distillery. I think skyscrapers are a mistake here. The historic east end doesn't need skyscrapers. I don't know why Toronto allows it's unique, historic districts to be treated just like every other part of the city, yet we restrict height in areas where it's perfectly acceptable. Sometimes this city just makes no sense.

I did like that access, under the Gardiner, to the waterfront, so if that is not going to happen, that's a disappointment. I loved the design of it, including the waterfront park and fountain.

Last edited:
Distillery is pretty much basterdized area with all the towers that have gone up recently. This should have been the one area they didn't build towers in. I walk around old montreal and love the atmosphere with the low and midrise buildings there.

You're kidding right ? The towers to me have zero impact on the site, and have all contributed much needed retail space ... I'm not sure you can argue that's not a win-win for all of Toronto ... other cities that have 'tourist areas' in the sense that there is nothing but retail / office / ... so on ... tend to suffer due to the seasonality of tourism ... that's not to say they don't work ... but having local residents nearby is what keeps these sites flourishing in Toronto.

I'd go out on a limb and say if all the condos in and around the district didn't exist (and btw ... there are more than just the 3 (+1) here glass towers on the site ...) it would be a much different and much worse off site today ...

I will really stress the first part of my argument as well ... all these towers ... they're built around the edges of the site and are set back on large * SHORT * podiums ...

I think the 4 story podium is a good way to block out the Gardiner and add more retail but I do not like the typical wall of glass retail, especially in the Distillery District. If this is a unique and special area of Toronto, why are they designing the retail, just like every other condo going up in the city? They will be ruining the distinctive look of the Distillery. I think they need to use more red brick, wood and metal, not just glass. All glass retail is just too cold and bland. The areas buildings to look more like a warehouses and less like a typical, new, Liberty Village condo.

I also think the design of the tower is unfortunate. I usually have no issues with height but isn't 57 stories too tall for that neighbourhood? I think the towers they already have built were too tall. Mid-rises under 20 stories would have been more appropriate for the Distillery. I think skyscrapers are a mistake here. The historic east end doesn't need skyscrapers. I don't know why Toronto allows it's unique, historic districts to be treated just like every other part of the city, yet we restrict height in areas where it's perfectly acceptable. Sometimes this city just makes no sense.

I did like that access, under the Gardiner, to the waterfront, so if that is not going to happen, that's a disappointment. I loved the design of it, including the waterfront park and fountain.

It's only a proposal at this point that will have to go for community consultations, TEYCC AND City Council - I would encourage you to provide feedback to the city regarding Trinty access.

AoD

You're kidding right ? The towers to me have zero impact on the site, and have all contributed much needed retail space ... I'm not sure you can argue that's not a win-win for all of Toronto ... other cities that have 'tourist areas' in the sense that there is nothing but retail / office / ... so on ... tend to suffer due to the seasonality of tourism ... that's not to say they don't work ... but having local residents nearby is what keeps these sites flourishing in Toronto.

I'd go out on a limb and say if all the condos in and around the district didn't exist (and btw ... there are more than just the 3 (+1) here glass towers on the site ...) it would be a much different and much worse off site today ...

I will really stress the first part of my argument as well ... all these towers ... they're built around the edges of the site and are set back on large * SHORT * podiums ...

I would rather have midrise/low rise buildings in that area. But we get the same boring, glass tower.

You're kidding right ? The towers to me have zero impact on the site, and have all contributed much needed retail space ...

Zero impact? You've got to be kidding me. Yes, it's great to have more residents and retail but 35-40 story towers were a mistake and they have a great impact. You can't help but notice them, wherever you look. They are pretty decent buildings but they should have never been allowed in the Distillery. They are just too tall and visually overpower the historic buildings. Mid-rise buildings would have been much better suited to this unique area. You don't see Montreal building skyscrapers in Old Montreal and that's for a very good reason. They respect their history and want to preserve the unique look and scale of that historic district. It really is a shame that Toronto values money over everything else. I guess we get the mayor we deserve.

This needs that Trinity pedestrian access point. While much thought has been given to the project (the ribbon looks allright with its flexible retail and office space), the view terminus down Trinity appears to leave much to be desired. It needs to be a little more bold to me. They need to fix that and they can create a better transition between the ribbon and the tower too.

Maybe we'll get lucky and that atrocious art piece they added in the square will meet with an accident during construction. No idea who decided that art piece was a good idea ... but man ... it's bugged me ever since it arrived.

Back