Toronto 31R Parliament Street | 165.8m | 49s | Cityscape | SHoP

Was there any talk of the tunnel under the rail embankment that was originally in Cormier's 3C masterplan?

Probably too expensive.

Edit:

f. with respect to the area within the development contemplated to be adjacent to and to facilitate future installation by the City of a pedestrian walkway under the rail corridor to the south, the Section 37 Agreement shall reflect the requirement that the view from within the subject lands south to the entrance of the pedestrian underpass from the north side of Trinity Square shall not be obstructed by permanent structures to the satisfaction of the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning;

Interesting- so I guess they leave room for it perhaps in the future.

Wish they could have allocated some of that extra money from the developer to build the tunnel under the rail. How much to build such a pedestrian tunnel?

I would imagine that the City is looking to the development of the 3C lands to provide Section 37 funds to cover (at least some of) the expense of building the pedestrian underpass, as there's no point in building the underpass until there's new development on the 3C lands.

Anyway, very good to see provision f. in the agreement so that this next Distillery development does protect for that underpass when the time comes!

From the DRP:

unnamed.jpg

31R Parliament St - Cherry St Courtyard (1st Review)
Application: Rezoning and OPA

Developer: Cityscape

The landscape plan of the "Cherry Street Courtyard" at the southeast corner of the Distillery District will be presented for review. This project is undergoing the appeals process at the Ontario Municipal Board. A second review will occur for subsequent Site Plan Approval applications.

The application is to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law to permit a 49-storey mixed-use building consisting of 495 residential dwelling units, 404 sq.m. of retail space, and 201 vehicular parking spaces within a 3-level underground garage and on the first 3 storeys. The proposal has a gross floor area of 39,040 square metres, and a density of 16.41.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 476
I get it that the flat roof and horizontal lines of the podium are meant to echo this areas industrial /warehouse roots, but the overall impression I get of this project is that the tower and podium are a real mismatch.

There must be refinements to come. The design looks like quickly roughed up junk to me, and it does not appear to be to scale to the towers to the east.

Back