News   Jun 25, 2024
 802     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 764     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Toronto 2020 Olympic Bid

What was the discomforting reality in Australia in 2000?

Or Spain in 1992? Or Japan in 1998? I mean, the Olympics have a somewhat chequered history for sure, but they're not *all* complete shams....

Vancouver is shaping up quite nicely as well, though it's too early to say whether it will cost more than forecast. Apparently they aren't fully accounting for security costs.

Well, the Winter Olympics have been cleaner because they are less of a spectacle and more of the participants are small, liberal democracies. A very few, like Seoul '88 actually were catalysts for reform. Many, though, seem to have been afflicted by the worst kind of zeitgeists: fascism (Berlin 36), terrorism (Munich 72), Cold War posturing (Moscow 80 and Los Angeles 84), corporatism (Atlanta 96). Beijing will be the kind of sham these others were. Then there are the incessant doping scandals, the corrupt figure skating judges and the Eurocentrism of the IOC. Perhaps the Olympics should change their motto from "Celebrate Humanity" to something that is at least not ironic.

Looking at the current -- very public -- Tibeten crackdown by the Chinese this week, it's obvious that China has not changed their ways. They did not deserve these Olympics at all.
Toronto didn't have the political clout to get it that time but we did have the best technical bid for TO2008.

I would love to see nations threatening to boycott these olympics to see if Taiwan and Tibet could get some leverage in what's happening.

Boycotting does nothing but ruin the dreams of the athletes. Imagine spending the vast majority of your life preparing for one thing and then your government goes ahead and says, "sorry, we're going to use the Olympics as a vehicle for FINALLY dealing with the actions of the host country that we ignored for decades." Having a dream that's within arms-reach yanked away from you is devastating to say the least when its out of your control.

Yes, Chinese politics is horrible, but at the same time this isn't something new. It was going before Beijing won the games, and not one country was in an uproar over it (well maybe we were because we had a vested interest in that decision). So for a government to suddenly boycott the games, it would have minimal grounds to do so, not to mention its actions would be hypocritical.

Good points.

Perhaps there could be a way to participate in the Olympics, yet boycott the profit streams that the Chinese government would gain from the games.

Link to article

Olympic official: athletes mulling Beijing boycott

Sun Mar 16, 4:04 PM ET

BERLIN (AFP) - International Olympic Committee vice-president Thomas Bach said a number of top athletes were considering boycotting the games in China over the bloody crackdown on protesters in Tibet.

Bach told Bild am Sonntag newspaper he understood the athletes' concerns about the situation in Tibet but said he was advising them to participate.

"They will realise when they assess the situation that it is better to make an appearance than to stay away. That is a symbol that will be noticed by the public," he said.

Asked if human rights had been a concern when Beijing was selected to host the August Games, Bach said the IOC believed the intense focus on China would have a positive effect.

"We are of the opinion that the Games will help China open up. But we cannot solve the problems that UN secretaries general have not been able to solve for generations," he said.

"The Olympic Games can foster change and be a catalyst for a solution but they are not a panacea."

Bach said the current debate over China reminded him of the discussions before the US-led boycott of the Olympic Games in Moscow in 1980 over the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

He urged an end to the violence in Tibet.

"We call on both sides to reject violence," he said. "I hope there will be a peaceful solution."

The newspaper quoted German athletes expressing doubts about China as the host for the Games.

"I have considered whether I can compete in China under these conditions," equestrian Ludger Beerbaum said. "We will surely discuss the issue amongst ourselves here at the tournament in Dortmund (running until Sunday)."

Javelin thrower Christian Obergfoell said the Games were her first priority but that her impression of China had worsened with the latest developments.

"I had been asking myself the whole time why they gave the Olympic Games to China," she said.

"After Tibet, my feeling will not be any better."

The unrest in Tibet followed three days of protests by hundreds of monks in Lhasa, India and elsewhere around the world marking the anniversary of a failed 1959 uprising against Chinese rule.

The Tibetan government-in-exile has said 80 have been confirmed dead in the Himalayan region, contradicting the Chinese official report of 10 fatalities.

Tibet's exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama on Sunday condemned the violence but said the Beijing Olympics should go ahead, rejecting calls for a boycott by Tibetan exiles.

The equestrian athlete should rest easy, because he's going to compete in Hong Kong, not Beijing.

For those, like myself, who are more interested in the infrastructure legacy, why doesn't Toronto bid for another World's Fair, one of the grand expositions on the scale of Expo 67? If the city actually follows through on the bid this time, it has a better chance of winning that than an Olympic bid anytime soon. Sadly, we were poised to win the 2015 bid by a large margin until the three levels of government sold TO down the river.

You've got to be kidding? A World's Fair? In the 21st Century? What exactly are you going to do at a World's Fair at this point in time? Attend the Futurama Pavillion, the Miracle of Space Pavillion, the General Motors MOTORAMA Pavillion? See demontrations of microwave ovens? Hear the wonder of Quadraphonic music systems? Or perhaps stroll through a dome? Or taste Curried Lamb from the sub-continent of India while drinking a beer from Germany?

It's like those wide-eyed pubescent SSCers arguing for supertalls. If it's good enough for Shanghai, it's good enough for here...

You've got to be kidding? A World's Fair? In the 21st Century? What exactly are you going to do at a World's Fair at this point in time? Attend the Futurama Pavillion, the Miracle of Space Pavillion, the General Motors MOTORAMA Pavillion? See demontrations of microwave ovens? Hear the wonder of Quadraphonic music systems? Or perhaps stroll through a dome? Or taste Curried Lamb from the sub-continent of India while drinking a beer from Germany?
I guess the tens of millions of people who went to the previous few Expos during the 21st century must have all been wasting their time staring at nothing.

Last edited:
2020 will probably be a North American city since the last one was in 1996. So unless South Africa goes after 2020, I would say that year is T.O.'s last best bet for another quarter century.

Depends on South Africa's economy too. FIFA has had to pump a lot of money into that country just for the World Cup.

Back