News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 802     0 

Toronto 2020 Olympic Bid

The money from any level of government is in fact your money, picked right out of your pocket and then usually squandered.

However, if the money will continue to flow for international events to Canadian cities they way it has in the past, wouldn't it make sense for Toronto to get a part of that? Why would we be comfortable saying that those things are a waste while watching our money flow to Montreal's second summer Olympics, Edmonton's Expo, or Quebec City's Winter Olympics? The reality is that if some other city from Canada bids, which they will, and they win, which they eventually will, then our money will be going there as it has with British Columbia's Expo and Olympics, Alberta's Olympics, and Quebec's Expo and Olympics. Let's leave the Pan Am Games out of the discussion because useful large scale infrastructure projects require a fan base the scale of which needs large scale infrastructure projects.

After successfully hosting the 2010 World Cup, South Africa's Olympic committee stated its intentions of submitting a bid for the 2020 Olympics. There will be a domestic bid first before the winning city is submitted to the IOC for formal bidding for 2020.

Cape Town, South Africa will not bid for the 2020 Olympics as has been reported today. The City Council doesn't want them just yet. However, Durban, South Africa looks really eager to begin their bid.

Rome, Italy is official and should be a strong bid.

Madrid, Spain looks to bid for the games once again. Should be strong competition alongside Rome.

Tokyo, Japan have let it be known that they'll bid for 2020. But this hinges on Pyeongchang, South Korea's Winter Olympics bid for 2018. If Pyeongchang wins, Japan will not bid for 2020.

Istanbul, Turkey - Rumour has it that Istanbul will put forth another bid and city officials believe they're much stronger and ready this go around that they can't be ignored once again after multiple failed bids.

Rabat, Morocco has stated their intentions to bid but I just don't see it happening. Too weak to compete with the big boys.

Doha, Qatar and Dubai, UAE - Both have the same problem, the dates they want to host the Games are outside of the IOC eligible timeframe. They don't want an October Summer Olympics and that is the ideal month in those countries as it is too hot there otherwise. Doha submitted a bid for 2016 but failed to make the shortlist while having a greater score than Rio de Janeiro (who won the 2016 Olympics). The reason was because of the planned dates.

With this competition, or lack there of, compared to other years. I cannot see Toronto not putting forth a bid. This is a much easier set of competitors than the 1996 and 2008 bids.

Last edited:
" With adoption of technical fruits to create better cities, visitors will discover different fruits of civilization moving from street to street. "

lol

I think something was lost in translation. :p

Originally I looked forward to the exposure T.O. would get during the G20 Summit. I thought it would be good for the city. However, the T.O. police/RCMP couldn't seem to handle a few criminals without going ballistic on the innocent. So at this time I don't want to even think about any major world events for the city. At least until Chief Blair is fired and anyone else in leadership that was responsible for the fiasco.

First Cape Town bows out.

Now it's Madrid, Spain.

The race for 2020 just got easier.

Yes... and Capetown is smart for that. Durban may not even get shortlisted. Rio being a new frontier, and Southern Hemisphere, will block either of those in 2020. And NA has had the longest wait between games now... its likely that 2020 will come to somewhere in North America...

I wouldn't have thought Toronto 2020 would have a chance but if the US Olympic Committee isn't bidding for 2020 we would be fools not to bid. The last time North America hosted was in 1996. Please tell me the COC isn't going to let this opportunity slip by. I have a hard time believing Pyeongchang would be rejected again which would mean Tokyo would wait.

I see the contest being: Rome, Istanbul, Budapest, Toronto. South Africa won't be able to pull a great bid together in time but it will get experience from this bid process and be ready for 2024. I like those odds.

I agree but I don't know how much of a negative effect Vancouver 2010 will have on a Toronto bid.

The US won with Salt Lake City a year before the '96 games in Atlanta were held. If one country in recent memory can be preparing for 2 Olympics at once for over a year, another country (Canada) may not be that hindered by having hosted almost 3 and a half years earlier. London 2012 will have also already finished a year before the selection, so Vancouver won't even be at the tip of everyone's tongue when they think of most recent hosts. If 10 total years isn't enough, it's not like 14 years is that much of a difference, so it may affect Italy (Turin/Rome) as well.

To be honest... Toronto needs to get its infrastructure 'issues' in order. I'm all for Toronto 2020, but I would rather show off a city that is well into the 21st century with at least a world class transportation system. But at the same time 2010 forced Vancouver to upgrade their infrastructure.

We truly must see how the 2015 Pan American Games go, if Toronto can deliver on that event then I have no doubts that we could have a successful 2020 bid.

We truly must see how the 2015 Pan American Games go, if Toronto can deliver on that event then I have no doubts that we could have a successful 2020 bid.
I'm pretty sure they'll be voting on those Olympics before the 2015 Pan Ams.

I think the bidding is usually 6 - 8 years in advance...no? So 2020 will be awarded at least a year before we know how well we do in hosting the PanAms.

Back