News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 609     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 293     0 

Toronto 2020 Olympic Bid

It's what goes on inside the stadium that's featured in the ceremonies, not outside...they'll have the obligatory helicopter and blimp shots, though.

Regarding Harper's unwillingness to back the World's Fair and things Torontonian, I think there's something to this. When Harper pledged to reduce the GST, he did so knowing full well that doing so would mean less money coming out of wealthier provinces like Alberta to be redistributed throughout the rest of the country. He said that if individual provinces wanted to up their provincial sales taxes in place of the GST, they were free to do so. But of course it's unpopular to raise taxes.

only in Canada do we bash a political leader for 'lowering' taxes.

Now, in addition to having no provincial sales tax, Alberta will, if Harper's re-elected, have a smaller GST to pay (5%) -- great way to reduce the amount of money the federal government takes out of Alberta. The problem is, parts of the country, Toronto included, could really use that tax revenue. It frankly disgusts me that a province like Alberta, making unprecedented riches out of its energy-sucking, emissions-producing tar sands projects, generally feels little responsibility toward the rest of the country. In fact there is a strain of separatism in the province, so that even more oil wealth can be hoarded. I can't help but suspect that Mr. "Build a firewall around Alberta" Harper supports this individualistic program.

Good for Alberta. Last time I checked Ontario wasn't considered a 'have not' province, and the Ontario government is reporting huge financial surplusses this year, again.

...Toronto is a major economic engine that needs major investments to modernize its infrastructure, especially in the area of transit. The World's Fair would have given Toronto an impetus to take a major leap forward. Now, we don't even have half measures. What kind of a prime minister wouldn't support a great opportunity for the country's largest city?

Too true, but unfortunately there seems to be little political will at any level, be it federal, provincial or municipal, and Toronto was on the sore end of government funding long before the conservatives came around.

Come on now, Tewder. My issue with Harper cutting the GST is that the GST is one of the best taxes we have in this country. If he wanted to cut a tax, it should have been capital, corporate income tax, or raising the basic personal exemption. His move to cut the GST was decried by nearly every economist, and several conservative institutions, like the IMF and the OECD. Considering Harper comes from a background as an economist policy wonk, he has demonstrated a complete lack of principles by cutting the GST. It was really a huge step backward.

Believe it or not, but Ontario is slipping closer and closer to have-not status. And as far as our 'huge' surplus, it's really not terribly large. It also comes with one of the highest effective corporate tax rates in the country which, let me say, is not a terribly bright idea in the long term.

Ontario really needs to move away from the PST model and harmonise it with the GST. It would have very little revenue implication (estimated at a loss of $200 million), and it would relieve a huge burden on business (since the PST tends to compound through several intermediate products before it reaches the end consumer--it's not a tax on the value added like GST).

"Too true, but unfortunately there seems to be little political will at any level, be it federal, provincial or municipal, and Toronto was on the sore end of government funding long before the conservatives came around."

I thought we were getting somewhere with Martin. Sure he was watering things down quite a bit with the New Deal for Communities, but it was still a much sweeter tune than the one being sung by Stephen "Let's give the oil sands a helping hand" Harper.

Globe... Chicago is official candidate of the US 2016 bid. Also mention of a Pan Am Games bid for Canada.

Link to article

Chicago throws its hat into the Rings

JAMES CHRISTIE

Globe and Mail Update

September 4, 2007 at 4:17 PM EDT

Chicago has officially toddled into the race for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, and the spinoffs of its success or failure will involve Canada.

The United States Olympic Committee chairman Peter Ueberroth and chief executive officer Jim Scherr submitted Chicago's candidacy for 2016 on Tuesday to the International Olympic Committee to be host of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, along with a letter from Chicago mayor Richard M. Daley.

Chicago's candidacy was evaluated by USOC directors as having more chance of success than those of Houston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and San Francisco.

"When we looked at Chicago, we saw an ideal partner… a beautiful waterfront city with passionate sports fans and a can-do mayor who leads a city that knows how to get things done," said Ueberroth in a statement from the USOC.

Chicago's possible selection for 2016, coupled with the candidacies of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, for the 2014 World Cup of soccer and the 2016 Olympics will play into whether Toronto bids for any Games in the foreseeable future. If Rio or Chicago land the 2016 Olympics, it's apt to put Toronto out of the running for a long time, as a city in the Americas. The 2016 host would be declared by the IOC in Oct. 2009 in Copenhagen.

In the meantime, there is a push on by former IOC member Paul Henderson for the Canadian Olympic Committee to launch a Pan Am Games bid for 2015. Henderson says that becoming a Games host is the only reliable way for Canadian athletes to get the facilities and investment in sport they need.

"COC major funding over the last 20 years has not been accomplished by creative marketing schemes, but by the simple process of hosting first Calgary 88 and now Vancouver 2010," Henderson said in an e-mail. He also pointed out that Canada's most significant international achievements over the past weekend of world championships — the rowing men's eights, 800-metre runner Gary Reed and Olympic qualifying triathlete Simon Whitfield — came from Victoria-based athletes. Victoria was host of the 1994 Commonwealth Games.

"In total, these [Calgary and Vancouver Olympic programs] have funded the COC activities to the sum of over $150-million. If the COC would face reality they would be actively promoting a 2015 Pan Am bid and preparing for a summer bid 20 years from now, plus any other event that gets facilities and youth motivated," said Henderson, who led Toronto's bid for the 1996 Games and consulted for the 2008 bid team.

Scherr indicated Chicago's selection as the U.S. candidate city for 2016 was based on a number of factors:

* "Chicago developed a vision and plan for the Games in the heart of the city that, we believe, would deliver an extraordinary experience for the Olympians and Paralympians of 2016."
* "The public/private partnership between the City of Chicago, under the leadership of mayor Richard M. Daley, and the business community, under the leadership of Chicago 2016 chairman Patrick Ryan, demonstrated an ability to marshal the resources of the city and mobilize public support for the bid at levels beyond those of any American bid city in the past."
* "The celebration center at the heart of the Games, set along the city's spectacular park-lined lakefront, offers the Olympic Movement an ideal gathering place to showcase the unity of humanity in remarkable ways."
* "As the capital of America's heartland — with a central geographic location in the middle of the country — Chicago is in a strong position to engage our nation with a new vision of the transforming power of the Olympic Movement and build a new level of participation in and visibility for Olympic sport across our country."

"As a Chicagoan and an Olympian, I am very excited about the prospect of Chicago hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2016," said Mike Conley, executive director of World Sport Chicago and two-time Olympic medalist in the triple jump (1984: silver, 1992: gold, 1996: fourth).

National Olympic Committees have until Sept. 13 to submit 2016 applications. The international bid process will last two years.

If Chicago losses this bid, Toronto will definitely be back in the hunt for the 2020 race.

Friday, September 14, 2007
Seven Cities Begin Quest For 2016 Olympic Games
Posted 7:42 am ET (GamesBids.com)

The International Olympic Committee announced today that seven cities have submitted an applications to host the 2016 Olympic Games. National Olympic Committees had until Thursday to nominate cities and applications were received from Baku Azerbaijan, Chicago USA, Doha Qatar, Madrid Spain, Prague Czech Republic, Rio de Janeiro Brazil and Tokyo Japan.

First time bidders are Baku and Doha. Chicago bid for the 1952 and 1956 Games and were originally selected to host the 1904 Games before they were moved to St. Louis. Prague bid for the 1924 Games and Tokyo last hosted the Games in 1964.

Both Madrid and Rio de Janeiro were involved in the last bid for the 2012 Olympic Games where Rio missed the short list and Madrid finished fourth in the balloting.

These cities will now begin a Quest that will last almost 25 months ending on October 2, 2009 in Copenhagen Denmark when IOC members vote for their favorite to host the Games.

By October 1, the bids must pay an application fee of USD $150,000 and sign the Candidature Acceptance Procedure contract, then they will begin to prepare an IOC questionnaire response (also referred to as a mini bid book) that is due on January 14, 2008 and will be used to qualify bids for phase 2. The bids will immediately pursue a domestic awareness campaign designed to raise local support for the bid - an important element when the IOC makes their decisions.

On June 8, 2008, the IOC will select a short list of candidates who qualify based on the mini bid books and these bids will embark on phase 2 of the process. This will require a candidature fee of USD $500,000.

The bids will prepare a complete bid dossier due to be submitted January 14, 2009.

During phase 2 the IOC will conduct site evaluation visits to each city and the bids will begin to run international marketing campaigns targeted at IOC members around the world. On September 2, 2009 the IOC will publish an evaluation report on their findings, one month before the final vote in Copenhagen.

It seems Chicagans (sp?), don't want the olympics either...

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_opinion_letters/2007/08/olympics-can-he.html

I agree with them, I'd prefer the money go to improving the city to host smaller events and conferences.

I'd rather much see the Olympics in New York City before Chicago ever gets them. It's hard to believe NYC hasn't hosted yet.

I think Rio will put up a good fight. It will be a three way race between Chicago, Rio and Tokyo.

I'm betting on Rio to get the 2016 games. The games have rarely been in the southern hemisphere, and never in South America. And Rio could do them well, I tell you! In "geopolitical" terms, Rio would be logical, no?

And having said all that -- I think Toronto has a marvellous chance at landing the 2020 games. It could actually happen. The way I look at the failed bids was that "it just wasn't our turn yet".

Tokyo 2016 could be too close to Beijing 2008, but London and Athens were two games apart, too, so that may not matter (and could signal a Toronto 2024 bid should Chicago win). I think many people would love to give the games to Rio...Brazil's won 76 Olympic medals and are regular contenders in several sports (which probably automatically knocks out Baku and Doha), the games have never been in South America, people will want to visit Rio, etc.

was it Doha that hosted the Asian Games not long ago? so they must have a lot of the facilities ready...

Most cities have lots of facilities ready. A Doha games wouldn't work in the summer since all the marathon runners would die half way through due to, what, 45° heat? They'd need to take place in like March or October or something.

I've never even heard of Doha before I read about these bidders. That tells you a lot. It probably won't get shortlisted.

Back