News   Jun 21, 2024
 168     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 299     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 414     0 

Toronto 2020 Olympic Bid

Why would anyone even dream of giving Toronto the Olympics after the G20? If people thought that shouldn't have been held in the city, the Olympics will be just as bad.

You won't see riot police lining streets at an Olympics. You won't see the most important area of the city behind a 10 foot fence. You won't see looting and businesses put in danger. You won't see widespread train, street car and subway cancellations. You won't see police cars on fire. You won't see innocent civilians rounded up and penned. You wouldn't see any of that even at the worst Olympics we've ever seen (Atlanta in 96 and in terms of security presence 02 in Salt Lake City and 04 in Athens).

You might want to read up on people's experiences with security at the Vancouver games or read up on the security plans for the London games. Neither come close to the police presence/actions at the G20 and in Vancouver's case, besides the fence that was put up around the Olympic flame, most people didn't notice security beyond what you would expect at venues.

Last edited:
You won't see riot police lining streets at an Olympics. You won't see the most important area of the city behind a 10 foot fence. You won't see looting and businesses put in danger. You won't see widespread train, street car and subway cancellations. You won't see police cars on fire. You won't see innocent civilians rounded up and penned. You wouldn't see any of that even at the worst Olympics we've ever seen (Atlanta in 96 and in terms of security presence 02 in Salt Lake City and 04 in Athens).

You might want to read up on people's experiences with security at the Vancouver games or read up on the security plans for the London games. Neither come close to the police presence/actions at the G20 and in Vancouver's case, besides the fence that was put up around the Olympic flame, most people didn't notice security beyond what you would expect at venues.

Agreed, comparing the Olympics to the G20 incident in that respect (security, vandalization and riot concerns) is not accurate at all...

Olympic hopes

Can we bring this topic back to life?! The IOC will soon be sending out invitations to bid for the 2020 olympic games! What chances does toronto have? What would make the games successful? Any news on whether toronto will officially bid?

Im going to suggest something.....

DOWNSVIEW

Here are my THREE REASONS why this makes sense (In a ROB FORD WORLD).... Even though we all know in the end it will lose money.... IF the OLYMPICS were to come toronto under a bid at DOWNSVIEW... it would allow ROB FORD to 1. make a stadium big enough for a NFL team 2. It would make the SHEPPARD Subway connect to Downsview 3. It would solve the decade long government joke of getting Downsview Parc off the ground (the Condos could double as the olympic village before being sold to actual market)

I don't think a Downsview bid would be successful. If Toronto bids, the IOC will be looking for our small footprint bid that every other city since has tried to emulate. I'd be ok with winning a Downsview Olympics (or anywhere in Toronto for that matter) but I doubt it would fly with the IOC.

Toronto, now, wouldn't need to do much to receive the Summer Olympics, other than put together a campaign.

Between Exhibition Place, the Metro Convention Centre, UofT, York, Downsview, Rogers Centre, and the ACC, we have all the venues necessary to host events (however, we may need contractors to build some bleachers.

Toronto has plenty of space for a broadcast centre either in the Convention Centre, or at Exhibition Place.

We could hold over the athlete's village created for the PanAm Games, but that would be highly illogical. Instead, like sixrings suggested, the athlete's village could be the high-rise area that's planned for the northwest corner of Downsview. Maybe, it could be done to further spur the development of the East Bayfront.

They already have a plan in place from 96 and 2008 that was applauded by the IOC and considered top notch. WHy mess with that?
waterfront_lrg.gif

We need a mayor who makes our city look good, and who will actually do something to benefit Toronto.
No, we need a mayor that keeps his hands out of my pockets as much as possible, and delivers essential city services like police, roads, sewers, santitation, public transportation for the best value, with contracting out being considered whenever economically sensible. I don't need the mayor to do anything big to benefit Toronto, just run the city efficicently and leave me alone.

probably brisbane. no north american city will get the bid due to canadas hosting of the 2010 winter games and its most likely that chicago, usa will host in 2016.

.. Been sleeping under a rock? Rio de Janeiro is hosting 2016 Summer Olympics. Chicago bid for those games too but came in dead last.

Back