News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 741     0 

Toronto 2020 Olympic Bid

I think the bidding is usually 6 - 8 years in advance...no? So 2020 will be awarded at least a year before we know how well we do in hosting the PanAms.

It's 7 years. They had a vote a few months ago and Buenos Aires beat Kuala Lumpur for the right to host the IOC assembly in the summer of 2013, where they'll be selecting the 2020 host...2 full years before the PanAm Games (not that hosting them will really do much to help a Toronto Olympic bid, anyway).

Nothing like an Olympics to fast forward those projects, Rowe.

Oh, and the host is announced in mid-2013.

It's 7 years. They had a vote a few months ago and Buenos Aires beat Kuala Lumpur for the right to host the IOC assembly in the summer of 2013, where they'll be selecting the 2020 host...2 full years before the PanAm Games (not that hosting them will really do much to help a Toronto Olympic bid, anyway).

Thanks......the biggest thing that Toronto hosting PanAms will do is prove that the logistics for a large(ish) multi-sport, multi-venue event can be pulled of in our region by us......we really have no history of hosting these sort of things and we need to show (to ourselves as much as anything) that it can be done well.

Thanks......the biggest thing that Toronto hosting PanAms will do is prove that the logistics for a large(ish) multi-sport, multi-venue event can be pulled of in our region by us......we really have no history of hosting these sort of things and we need to show (to ourselves as much as anything) that it can be done well.

I don't think the Pan-Ams would be a great indicator anyways. It's far too de-centralized and scattered. Hopefully, if we do bid/get the games, it would be focused on the things that made the previous bids so strong (athlete friendly, very centralized, etc.). It's the type of event that instantly redevelops the Portlands, and at most you'd have Queens Quay shut down to allow non-stop access between the CNE, Skydome and the Portlands. Only the events that traditionally can't be held in an urban core (equestrian, rowing, etc) would need a commute and the number of people/athletes requiring it would be minimal compared to what is plannedfor the Pan-Ams.

I saw a plan that was drawn up where the Olympic Stadium/Velodrome/practise tracks/fields were all located together in an "Olympic Park" in the Portlands..
I thought it was a great plan, and would make a currently-unattractive area of Toronto into a place many tourists and people could go to..
An LRT line could be built as public transportation to the area and back, and it would just improve the area immediately east of Yonge St so much.
I hope they do something like that if we do get the Olympics in 2020 or 2024.

imgres

They most certainly would do that. The Portlands plan was praised by both the athletes and the IOC. If there's one thing these events can do, it's act as revitalization schemes.

Mind you, within the current political climate whereby we apparently can't even afford to water trees there might not be the appetite for a bid.

Regardless of who wins, I don't think we'll see a bid for the Olympics. Ford: "We simply can't afford it". Smitherman: "Afraid of being painted as the conductor of the gravy train".

Regardless of who wins, I don't think we'll see a bid for the Olympics. Ford: "We simply can't afford it". Smitherman: "Afraid of being painted as the conductor of the gravy train".

It's not just this level of government, it's the province and the feds too. You need everyone on board and I think there's a very financially conservative mindset at every level, especially after the stimulus money was spent. Also, the COC might not even be on board since Aubut seems keen on Quebec City in 2022 (and the Quebec government would spend the money and odds are the Feds would contribute as well, even if they recently (and quickly) changed their mind on contributing to a new Quebec City arena.

And, in all fairness, if Smitherman wins he can essentially do whatever he wants. Things change quickly and the soundbites from this election will fade away with time. So the fear of the "gravy train" will disappear and if he wanted to create a legacy for himself as the guy who brought the city the Olympics and rejuvenated the Portlands, I'm sure he'd go for it.

Don't count on any Olympic bid if "Cheapskate" Ford wins! A few months ago I was optimistic that Toronto would have a great shot at 2020 or 2024, but right now I feel like we won't get the Olympics in our lifetimes.

Don't count on any Olympic bid if "Cheapskate" Ford wins! A few months ago I was optimistic that Toronto would have a great shot at 2020 or 2024, but right now I feel like we won't get the Olympics in our lifetimes.

i thought we stood a chance a while back too, it'd really change the portlands into a major sporting area with the pan-am village there too, it'd be pretty dang sweet.

Also, the COC might not even be on board since Aubut seems keen on Quebec City in 2022 (and the Quebec government would spend the money and odds are the Feds would contribute as well, even if they recently (and quickly) changed their mind on contributing to a new Quebec City arena.

Quebec (province) has hosted an Olympic games and failed..
Give Ontario a turn.. (Though with Ford we probably would fail as well, we'd need Miller or a Miller-esque mayor)

Back