2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 781     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Games in play: Feds back Ontario bid for Pan Ams

August 07, 2008

It’s Games on with the federal government confirming today that it will fully support an Ontario bid for the 2015 Pan Am Games.

“Awesome, awesome, awesome,†said Hamilton’s Pan Am point person, David Adames. “That’s just tremendous news.â€

Hamilton hopes to win a new stadium for track and field and football under the Golden Horseshoe bid.

The federal government informed Premier Dalton McGuinty’s office late in the afternoon that it will back 35 per cent of the $1.77 billion cost.

$1.77 billion? And people think the Olympics are expensive. All the expense and none of the TV/sponsorship revenue.

Ottawa to back Toronto's bid for Pan Am Games

Aug 07, 2008 07:07 PM
Comments on this story (4)
THE CANADIAN PRESS

The federal government has agreed to support the City of Toronto's bid to host the 2015 Pan Am Games.

Ontario government officials received word late Thursday that Prime Minister Stephen Harper has agreed to throw Ottawa's support behind Toronto's bid, which will also involve municipalities in Niagara and Durham regions and as far north as Lake Simcoe.

The federal approval has cleared the way for Premier Dalton McGuinty to travel to Beijing next week to lobby the Pan American Sports Organization voting members, who are in China for the Olympics.

"I'm pleased that in our discussions with Ontario that we've been able to get to this place where the federal government can join in the support," said federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty. "It's good news for the (Greater Toronto Area) for sports facilities and it's good news for Ontario. It's good news for Canada."

McGuinty had warned for weeks that Toronto's bid would suffer if he didn't get federal support, and said he would have had to cancel his trip to China.

He said all the other cities hoping to host the 2015 Pan Am Games would be in China – with the support of their federal governments.

Flaherty defended the amount of time it took his government to reach the decision to support the Games bid.

"We have a duty, and I sure do as minister of finance, to make sure that we're not getting into something that's going to be not a value-for-money situation for Canadian taxpayers," he said. "So we had to do at least our preliminary work on this, which we've done. So we're pleased to support the Games."

Ontario wants about $600 million from Ottawa for the Pan Am Games, which are estimated to cost $1.77 billion to stage, but expected to bring $2 billion in economic activity and create 17,000 jobs in everything from construction to hosting.

Flaherty declined to say how much the federal government will contribute, noting that still needs to be negotiated.

"One has to look at a couple of major issues here," he said. ``One is the cost of security – who bears what part of the cost for security. ... There's also the question of infrastructure investments because a lot of the investments that relate to the Pan Am Games relate to permanent infrastructure, which can be dealt with in different ways with the federal infrastructure funding that we have available."

An estimated 10,000 athletes and coaching staff would attend the 2015 Games.

The province said one benefit of Toronto getting the Pan Am Games would be the construction of some much-needed sports facilities in the Golden Horseshoe region, noting Ontario has not hosted a significant international athletic event since the 1930s.

Other cities believed to bidding against Toronto are Bogota, Colombia; Caracas, Venezuela; and Lima, Peru.

The Pan American Games are open to all countries in the Americas and are held every four years.

The last was in Rio de Janeiro in 2007, and the next will be in Guadalajara, Mexico, in 2011.

The site of the 2015 Games will be announced next year.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/474228

It needn't be. The Chinese are spending like drunkards because they feel they must give the world the impression they are now affluent.

Well it's great that we'll most likely host a big multi-sport event like this.

We're the obvious front runners to win the hosting rights.

I also forgot to mention that the new Toronto stadium that's in the works is probably included in that $1.77 billion budget for these games, which the stadium should account for $700-800 million.

afransen, 1.77 billion sounds like a lot and is nothing to sneeze at but how many hours does that buy in Beijing's security budget alone? My guess is less than one day.

Toronto isn't Beijing.

I think in Olympics vs 'Other Multi-sport Games' discussions, people look at the higher expenses associated with the Olympics and neglect the colossal TV and sponsorship revenues (into the billions of $) not to mention higher incremental economic benefits. Compared to the Pan Ams, the Olympics are a bargain.

Please don't try to suggest that Canada would prepare for the Olympics in any way resembling how the Chinese are preparing for Beijing. It just isn't in our nature.

Toronto isn't Beijing.

I think in Olympics vs 'Other Multi-sport Games' discussions, people look at the higher expenses associated with the Olympics and neglect the colossal TV and sponsorship revenues (into the billions of $) not to mention higher incremental economic benefits. Compared to the Pan Ams, the Olympics are a bargain.

Please don't try to suggest that Canada would prepare for the Olympics in any way resembling how the Chinese are preparing for Beijing. It just isn't in our nature.

That's very true.

Beijing wants to show off to the world and is throwing money everywhere. They really don't care how much they're spending, which is estimated to be around $40 Billion for these games if you include all the infrastructure upgrades to the whole city.

Afransen, I'm not sure if I missed a previous post of yours but are you supporting a 2015 Toronto Pan Am Games bid? It's definitely not on the same scale as the Olympics but its clearly setting up Toronto on the right path for a future Olympic Games which they're definitely aiming for either in 2020, 2024 or 2028.

Beijing wants to show off to the world and is throwing money everywhere. They really don't care how much they're spending, which is estimated to be around $40 Billion for these games if you include all the infrastructure upgrades to the whole city.

Beijing probably needed 40b in infrastructure upgrades, if not more, so they might as well get some publicity out of it. I mean, I don't think Toronto should consider anything near the scale of the Beijing Olympics, but I don't care for the idea that Beijing "lost" the 43b either.

Beijing Subway before the Olympics:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Beijing_Subway_System_now.png

Beijing Subway after the Olympics:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Beijing-Subway-Plan.png

Where can Toronto sign up? Same goes for the Bird's Nest & Watercube. They probably don't have to be so glamorous, but it's not like Beijing has no use for professional sporting facilities.

In have to say it is quite unfair to count subways, etc. towards the cost of hosting such an event. As long as the investments make sense beyond the Olympics (not a subway to nowhere), then the Olympics can only be described as accelerating those expenditures.

Re: my support for the Pan Am bid. I am a bit torn. I feel that we have been fairly stupid as a city in the past decade or so. I suppose I do support the Pan Am bid, but I'm not convinced it will help us land the Olympics. Building a bunch of sub-par venues with no financial support from TV broadcast rights and sponsorships strikes me as a poor move, strategically, if the goal is to leverage that investment to win the Olympics. I know that the plan will likely change, but having venues scattered around southern Ontario is also not conducive to a good Olympic bid. That is to say, if the stadium is built in Hamilton, it wouldn't be used for the Olympics, full stop.

I support the Pan Ams insofar as we need venues to host World Cup events and championships, as well as support the development of our national team.

In have to say it is quite unfair to count subways, etc. towards the cost of hosting such an event. As long as the investments make sense beyond the Olympics (not a subway to nowhere), then the Olympics can only be described as accelerating those expenditures.

Re: my support for the Pan Am bid. I am a bit torn. I feel that we have been fairly stupid as a city in the past decade or so. I suppose I do support the Pan Am bid, but I'm not convinced it will help us land the Olympics. Building a bunch of sub-par venues with no financial support from TV broadcast rights and sponsorships strikes me as a poor move, strategically, if the goal is to leverage that investment to win the Olympics. I know that the plan will likely change, but having venues scattered around southern Ontario is also not conducive to a good Olympic bid. That is to say, if the stadium is built in Hamilton, it wouldn't be used for the Olympics, full stop.

I support the Pan Ams insofar as we need venues to host World Cup events and championships, as well as support the development of our national team.

It would make absolute no sense whatsoever for Hamilton to get the main new stadium to host athletics. They are the second tier city in this bid and will undoubtedly be in the shadow of Toronto. The only people biggin up Hamilton is their media and city officials. They obviously are trying to get the most venues as they can and are aiming big with the main stadium. But we all know any multi-sporting event that will involved Toronto as hosts must have them as the centre piece of the bid, therefore, I can only see Toronto getting the most sporting venues and main athletics stadium.

Erecting 3m walls in front of ugly shopfronts and telling folks "let us knock your gaff or it's off to the labour camp" would look bad at the OMB :D:D:D

Back