News   Jul 16, 2024
 430     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 539     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Apparently you have more faith in the organizers of the Pan Ams than I do.

What is the basis of your lack of faith in them? They have only existed for a short while....just recently hired a CEO....what do you know about them that gives you this degree faithlessness?

Come on man. The actual organizing committee is hamstrung by the whims of the province and the federal government. Really, in the grand scheme of things they have little influence or power.

Come on man. The actual organizing committee is hamstrung by the whims of the province and the federal government. Really, in the grand scheme of things they have little influence or power.

But you specifically stated you have no faith in the organizers.....they have already come out and said they are disappointed by the cancelled transit but will adjust their plans to include reserved lanes....so what have the organizers done to lose your faith? Don't mix them in with politicians that promise one thing then change.

"ESPN will produce more than 160 hours of Pan American Games-related programming -- the most ever televised in the United States.

ESPN Deportes, the Spanish-language network, will offer at least 10 hours of daily coverage starting with opening ceremonies July 13 at 3 p.m. Spanish-language coverage will begin at noon and conclude at 10 p.m. on weekdays and run from 9 a.m.-10 p.m. on weekends.
ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN360.com will simulcast some of ESPN Deportes’ Spanish-language coverage."

Not only was it not televised on a major network, the one network that was providing coverage just simulcast the Spanish coverage. Televised, technically, but not exactly accessible.

"ESPN will produce more than 160 hours of Pan American Games-related programming -- the most ever televised in the United States.

ESPN Deportes, the Spanish-language network, will offer at least 10 hours of daily coverage starting with opening ceremonies July 13 at 3 p.m. Spanish-language coverage will begin at noon and conclude at 10 p.m. on weekdays and run from 9 a.m.-10 p.m. on weekends.
ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN360.com will simulcast some of ESPN Deportes’ Spanish-language coverage."

Not only was it not televised on a major network, the one network that was providing coverage just simulcast the Spanish coverage. Televised, technically, but not exactly accessible.

ESPN is the most readily available sports network in America.....it is currently available in 99 million homes in America....sure they used their own spanish language network to produce the network and simulcast parts of it on their own networks and web pages but so what?

That is a far way from your own statement that it was not broadcast in America (in fact record numbers of hours were broadcast) and the reality in Canada (where none of our networks nor any of our 3 cable sports networks broadcast any of the events).

If if suits your argument that 160 hours of programing available to 99 milion homes = not available in America...I guess we have different definitions.

That is a far way from your own statement that it was not broadcast in America (in fact record numbers of hours were broadcast) and the reality in Canada (where none of our networks nor any of our 3 cable sports networks broadcast any of the events).

I think this also says something about how, in our sizing up major sporting or major *anything* events, we're no longer beholden to the old major-network-dominated framework.

Consider how the FIFA World Cup's trickled up to being an unignorable Olympic-scale mass event in Toronto--yes, still with a bit of an "ethnic sporting cuisine" stigma, but...

re: 2007 U.S. TV Pan-Am coverage

How many of those 160 hours made it to ESPN? 50%? 10%?? (The quote only says "some".) What was the distribution between ESPN, the Deuce, and 360? (They're not the same.) And does anyone believe Spanish-language simulcasts achieved anything more than minuscule ratings even by U.S. cable standards? (Hard to find any info.)

Majority of the athletes will be commuting from the Village to the Pan American Stadium. They'll likely all be bussed to the Stadium because it sounds like GO Train improvements and LRT in Hamilton won't be happening within five years. There are no HOV lanes from Burlington to Hamilton. I’ll be predicting traffic nightmares in and outside of Hamilton.

Majority of the athletes will be commuting from the Village to the Pan American Stadium. They'll likely all be bussed to the Stadium because it sounds like GO Train improvements and LRT in Hamilton won't be happening within five years. There are no HOV lanes from Burlington to Hamilton. I’ll be predicting traffic nightmares in and outside of Hamilton.

Doesn't the Pan Am proposal includes some kind of exclusive priority GO Train service during the games, with a temporary station setup directly beside the stadium in Hamilton? I've seen it in the renderings and recall McGuinty taking the PanAm officials on a GO train trip to Hamilton to show them how they will ferry athletes around.

They will all be bussed; it was in the bid book. Athletes won't be using public transit.

Who is to say there won't be temporary black-diamond lanes during the games for official vehicles, like there was in Vancouver?

re: 2007 U.S. TV Pan-Am coverage

How many of those 160 hours made it to ESPN? 50%? 10%?? (The quote only says "some".) What was the distribution between ESPN, the Deuce, and 360? (They're not the same.) And does anyone believe Spanish-language simulcasts achieved anything more than minuscule ratings even by U.S. cable standards? (Hard to find any info.)

Hard to say and, anyway, irrelavent to the discussion we were having ....I had said you should not judge the prominance of the PAGs on the fact that they were not broadcast here.....someone else stated (as a fact) that they were not broadcast in America either....I pointed out that ESPN (the world's largest sports network) produced and broadcast 160 hours ( a US record) of coverage....these games are, obviously, not as big in America as other games....but it is only Canada that totally ignored them.....and that was the point.

Well, Canada doesn't have an ESPN. Essentially, "their" ESPN doubles as "our" ESPN.

Doesn't the Pan Am proposal includes some kind of exclusive priority GO Train service during the games, with a temporary station setup directly beside the stadium in Hamilton? I've seen it in the renderings and recall McGuinty taking the PanAm officials on a GO train trip to Hamilton to show them how they will ferry athletes around.

They took the GO Train to Aldershot and took a helicopter to McMaster. After that again helicopter to the Niagara Region.

When there's special events happening in Hamilton GO Transit will increase the number of GO Trains to Hamilton, like the 2003 Road World Cycling Championship. But it's still a slow ass trip from Aldershot to Hamilton, might as well walk.

I doubt they can do the $75 million Hamilton Junction improvement on time as the EA haven't begun yet.

Last edited:
They will all be bussed; it was in the bid book. Athletes won't be using public transit.

Who is to say there won't be temporary black-diamond lanes during the games for official vehicles, like there was in Vancouver?

Either way you are pretty much forcing everyone to drive to Hamilton from athletes, crews, media and tourist as there likely won't be any LRT or GO Train improvements in Hamilton. Major traffic nightmares along the 403 to York Blvd entrance..

Well the Go Train is a pretty simple solution, isn't it? For those two weeks, run more trains. Just because the changes aren't permanent, doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Back