News   Jul 16, 2024
 236     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 478     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 597     2 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

ESPN is the most readily available sports network in America.....it is currently available in 99 million homes in America....sure they used their own spanish language network to produce the network and simulcast parts of it on their own networks and web pages but so what?

That is a far way from your own statement that it was not broadcast in America (in fact record numbers of hours were broadcast) and the reality in Canada (where none of our networks nor any of our 3 cable sports networks broadcast any of the events).

If if suits your argument that 160 hours of programing available to 99 milion homes = not available in America...I guess we have different definitions.

As GenerationW pointed out, it wasn't all 160 hours and that's Spanish language programming. Do you really think that equates to major market penetration?

Well the Go Train is a pretty simple solution, isn't it? For those two weeks, run more trains. Just because the changes aren't permanent, doesn't mean it isn't possible.

It's not that simple when both CN and CP own both tracks in Hamilton. The Hamilton and Aldershot Junction is one of the busiset rail yard in North America.

Wouldn't really be an issue if $75 million for Hamilton Junction started but again EA haven't begun yet so I doubt it'll get completed on time.

As GenerationW pointed out, it wasn't all 160 hours and that's Spanish language programming. Do you really think that equates to major market penetration?

If we are going to continually move the goalposts in this discussion we will get no where. The point I was refuting that someone made was (post 835 I think) was that they were not televised at all in America....this is clearly wrong.

No one has tried to state that the PanAms are huge (compared to summer olympics) what some of us have tried to point out to others that it is only Canada that has totally ignored them (from a media perspective). They can be fairly large games that leave a significant impact or they can be fairly small games (like Winnipeg did)....they are what you make them. Rio made them huge and it has paid off for them relative to their goals.

As long as we establish a goal for what we want to achieve and tailor our PAGs to that goal things will be fine.

It's not that simple when both CN and CP own both tracks in Hamilton. The Hamilton and Aldershot Junction is one of the busiset rail yard in North America.

Wouldn't really be an issue if $75 million for Hamilton Junction started but again EA haven't begun yet so I doubt it'll get completed on time.

Do CN and CP like money? because i know one solution that would ensure GO Trains get some priority during those two weeks.

Once again folks, we're talking about only 2 weeks. You guys are making mountains from mole hills.

If we are going to continually move the goalposts in this discussion we will get no where. The point I was refuting that someone made was (post 835 I think) was that they were not televised at all in America....this is clearly wrong.
Fair enough, but simulcasting a few hours of Spanish language coverage (on who knows which ESPN channel at who knows what time of the day) equals very limited exposure to an English-speaking American audience, and, no matter where the goalpost are, equals zero English language coverage.

Fair enough, but simulcasting a few hours of Spanish language coverage (on who knows which ESPN channel at who knows what time of the day) equals very limited exposure to an English-speaking American audience, and, no matter where the goalpost are, equals zero English language coverage.

No it does not....the amount that was simulcast on ESPN or ESPN2 (and I will endevour to find out how much that was for you since it seems so important) would have been in English (ie the video would have been simulcast and the commentary would be in English). I will research it and let you know what I find out....but again, if the original poster of the "America ignored the games too" {paraphrase} had differentiated between English and Spanish coverage we would not be having this tedious debate.....but they simply said it was not broadcast in America...false!!!

You can frame and re-frame the discussion all you want but the games were broadcast in America....on a large network.....in record numbers of hours.......that is just a fact.

.. and with at least 10-15% of the American population being native/fluent Spanish speakers, that's a 35-45 million audience. That's more than the entire population of Canada (or for that matter, of most other countries in the Americas) who would potentially have been exposed to the games even if the broadcast was only in Spanish.

ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN360.com will simulcast some of ESPN Deportes’ Spanish-language coverage.
It's possible they substituted English commentary, but wouldn't that have been specified in the press release?

The bigger questions I have are: how many hours, on which channels, at what time of the day, and what were the ratings?

.. and with at least 10-15% of the American population being native/fluent Spanish speakers, that's a 35-45 million audience. That's more than the entire population of Canada (or for that matter, of most other countries in the Americas) who were exposed to the games even if the broadcast was only in Spanish.
The Spanish-speaking audience was well served with Pan Am TV coverage -- no one can argue that.

The Spanish-speaking audience was well served with Pan Am TV coverage -- no one can argue that.
And since Hispano-Americans are Americans, living in the US, it would be false to say that the US did not have coverage - which was what started this whole back-and-forth.

And the Copa America is more popular among Spanish-speaking Americans than the Pan Am Games, but the Copa does not make much of an impression on the American sports landscape as a whole either (which to me is the point).

Spanish-speaking audience, and arguments about coverage aside, I fail to see how the Pan Am Games are a bigger deal in the U.S. than they are in Canada, or a big deal at all.

No one has tried to state that the PanAms are huge (compared to summer olympics) what some of us have tried to point out to others that it is only Canada that has totally ignored them (from a media perspective). They can be fairly large games that leave a significant impact or they can be fairly small games (like Winnipeg did)....they are what you make them. Rio made them huge and it has paid off for them relative to their goals.

As long as we establish a goal for what we want to achieve and tailor our PAGs to that goal things will be fine.

I meant televised on a major network. Yes, technically they were televised...on ESPN, showing some hours of their Spanish language broadcast across all of their various offshoots, some of which I'm sure many people don't even get.

The point is that the Pan Am games have not really been a big deal as a major sporting attraction in NA for a while. You can argue it's a big deal in other countries, but we're already talking about an event limited to a certain region of the planet, where you couldn't find an English language broadcast in the two biggest markets.

This isn't to say it isn't a big event, but it isn't even remotely close to the Olympics in popularity and media coverage.

No it does not....the amount that was simulcast on ESPN or ESPN2 (and I will endevour to find out how much that was for you since it seems so important) would have been in English (ie the video would have been simulcast and the commentary would be in English). I will research it and let you know what I find out....but again, if the original poster of the "America ignored the games too" {paraphrase} had differentiated between English and Spanish coverage we would not be having this tedious debate.....but they simply said it was not broadcast in America...false!!!

You can frame and re-frame the discussion all you want but the games were broadcast in America....on a large network.....in record numbers of hours.......that is just a fact.

The fact that it's so difficult to find out broadcast information for these games should make it pretty obvious how little coverage they received.

"ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN360.com will simulcast some of ESPN Deportes’ Spanish-language coverage. The ESPN family will provide more than 160 hours of Pan American Games-related programming, the most ever televised in the USA."

They didn't broadcast 160 hours on ESPN. They covered 160 hours on their Spanish language network, with only some of that simulcast on ESPN.

By 2015, the way these events are covered could be a lot different than what was done for the last Pan Ams. One only has to look at the difference in coverage between Vancouver and Turin (and even Beijing) to see the effect the growth of smart phones and internet streaming has had on how people watch. It'll be interesting to see how Guadalajara is covered by the various networks. I think that'll give us a much better indication of what Toronto could get than what happened in Rio.

Back