Toronto 191 Bay | 301.74m | 64s | QuadReal | Hariri Pontarini

Interesting that the floor plate seems to be matching Commerce Court West. I'm assuming that's a purposeful homage.

I hope that pavilion includes above ground retail, restaurant & food court type uses. The PATH is maxed-out in this area and those uses will be needed with this much new density.

Assuming the office market remains as hot as it is right now and/or there was a large anchor tenant lined up, I wonder how far out we are from this development? How quickly could design be completed and the existing buildings vacated? In that scenario, could we see demolition start as early as 2-3 years?
Important point. I look forward to digging through the development application to see what they intend for PATH.

Important point. I look forward to digging through the development application to see what they intend for PATH.

From the plans:
129E307B-6FAB-4725-848A-6F9269A9368F.jpeg

And Level 3
C3C0F31C-6B12-4CFE-A7A3-52DC1AA3CEB3.jpeg

And it appears the hotel is staying (as far as the plans goes)

AoD

Attachments

• 129E307B-6FAB-4725-848A-6F9269A9368F.jpeg
    129E307B-6FAB-4725-848A-6F9269A9368F.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 1,244
  • C3C0F31C-6B12-4CFE-A7A3-52DC1AA3CEB3.jpeg
    C3C0F31C-6B12-4CFE-A7A3-52DC1AA3CEB3.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 1,625
Last edited:
What an unexpected surprise! Great Christmas gift. It's funny I was just downtown yesterday and walked by this location and I said to myself "there could easily be another big office tower built here". Then boom, next day here it is. I know it's a long ways out, but its nice to know they have plans for this area. It would build up the financial district even more, creating insane density. Love the height, design is really classy too. I'm on board.

I'm wondering how much money it costs to produce this insane amount of engineering, architecture, studies and paperwork. Clearly in the millions.
This is far from a pie in the sky idea. It's as serious as it gets.

Some not so important observation: the TRUMP sign is still on in the rendering, but CIBC is gone from CCW.
Not millions yet, but 6 figures, sure.

I really don't get why it's the same height as FCP, as if that building represented some kind of hallowed gold standard. Make it visibly taller, please.

Otherwise, very exciting indeed!
I wonder if this is Toronto Planning declaring that they don't want another height race in the core, which would be somewhat boneheaded if true. Anyone else care to speculate?

So how did a proposal of this magnitude manage to elude all the people in the know at UT?
Actually, I did tell people at the Subway Extension meetup on Sunday to expect something big this week! There are some things you just can't post before they are public though.

Quite the landmark project, and will really refocus attention away from FirstCan which has served as the centrepiece for the FD. I generally like the tower design although I share earlier sentiments about the spire, not sure the design needs it unless it is functional..? I'm looking forward to seeing how they ultimately treat the base, the lobby and atria could certainly be a nice addition. I imagine this will go through a couple of design iterations. Cormier involved too which is great- I see the elephants are still included there :)

HP on a roll but this homage to BMO's height is absurd. CN lost its crown and still important, and though super tall residential/mixed projects are in the mix in the height game, Toronto's tallest should be an office tower. That's how it all began. Don't need 600 metres just 350. I'm not the leasing agent so easy to say.

If this is in anyway is a city planning strategy, it's stupid. Time to grow up. Chance of a lifetime to redefine the bay/king mountain with great results.

HP will improve the building with added height (I'll help lease the extra floors) and the nonsense at street level will be discarded in favour of something friendly and smart.

The reality is, this proposal will likely stay as a proposal. We have two 700ft+ office tower proposals (160 Front, and Union Centre) which have both been dormant for over 3 years now. Chances are this one will join that club, especially with the size. There just aren't many companies looking for 1 million+ square feet which would be required to get this thing off the ground. Maybe one of the banks (TD, Scotia, BMO) , Amazon, Manulife? That's all I can think of.

I wonder if this is Toronto Planning declaring that they don't want another height race in the core, which would be somewhat boneheaded if true. Anyone else care to speculate?

My bet is that it is more so the developer not wanting to stir the boat. That, and they can get their square footage within the existing height envelope.

Back