Toronto 180 Queens Quay East | 75.5m | 22s | Rom-Grand Waterfront Ltd | a—A

Maybe a SLIGHT improvement over its predecessor but still looks like absolute mediocre trash.

Yes.

You would never see Chicago or NYC put up this garbage along their waterfronts and that goes for a lot of what's been built along this stretch.

Umm, a step too far for me; this is Chicago's waterfront:

1663787423131.png

The Lake is immediately to your right in the photos above, and below:

1663787513170.png

What an engaging podium and at-grade experience! LOL

And isn't this a lovely way to meet the waterfront (below)

1663787647432.png

Yup, a pretty blah building on top of a multi-storey parking deck.

Now, we should never let another City's mediocrity allow us to accept our own City's mediocrity.

But we really do need to watch these "The grass is greener over there" type comparisons.

Now, we should never let another City's mediocrity allow us to accept our own City's mediocrity.

But we really do need to watch these "The grass is greener over there" type comparisons.
Yeah I don't see anything as bad as this proposal along that stretch of their waterfront and that's the least appealing part of it anyways.

I'd still take take any of Chicago's mediocre waterfront developments (or their waterfront in general) over what we're building along this stretch. Especially when you go a bit further south and compare to their central waterfront area which we simply can't touch (parks, art galleries, museums, planetariums and gorgeous architecture juxtaposed alongside it all). We had a blank slate here and this is what we're getting. This proposal is trash, plain and simple.

Thanks @Northern Light for that breath of fresh air and a reminder just how good (despite my desperate search for a puke emoji regarding this particular proposal)... we already have it. And it's going to get much better.

Way, way too much painting our entire waterfront as a big fail... that generalization is ridiculous...

lots of Bayside is wonderful (with AquaLuna to come)
even half of the plans for Quayside would be astonishing
obviously the Toronto Islands (who has that?)
the already wonderful evolution of the Lower Don Lands (better than TV)
√ the future of Parliament Slip
√ Look-out Beach/Park
all of the Beach(es)
the promising moves on the Bathurst Quay silos (and maybe a new park on the parking pier)
built spaces like Harbourfront and the music garden etc.
public realm whimsy like the wave decks
Ontario Place (however it turns out)
the western beaches and boardwalk,
√ 300 acres (?) of Humber Bay Parks

....... what did I miss?

In fact no-one ever likes to say it, but in fact we already have one the best and most diverse waterfronts on the continent, which duds like this and Daniels cannot ruin.

But because we are so lucky, it does sting even more when mistakes like this one threaten to move forward.

Pros:
1. This is better than the previous iteration. The balcony krinkles are a nice touch to what was a very bland proposal.
2. The SPA says the ground-floor uses black granite, which would look sharp.
3. The SPA show pillars in the units, suggesting less spandrel.

Cons:
3. While an improvement, this is still lacking for what the area demands and deserves.
4. SPA says it's using window wall, not curtain wall.
5. SPA says that while the south-facing balcony glazing is white fritted, it looks like a number of the sides of the buildings use clear balcony glazing (see picture). This, combined with the window wall, will not look good. Why not at least use the white fritted balcony glazing all around?

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 7.56.24 PM.png

Last edited:
Suprised the spa says fritted balcony glass 'cause the (crappy) rendering closer on the kinked balcony looks like perfed-metal.

Now that I know some of the balcony glass will be fritted... I still hate this.

This is office park architecture, not waterfront architecture.

The Development Applications page on City website is not a building application. It is to formalise the land-swap the City wants so that Lower Sherbourne can be widened and realligned

178 QUEENS QUAY E
Ward 28 - Tor & E.York District

View attachment 131324
Hello Sir, Do you know what is small street between this project and 215 lake shore lakeside ??

Hello All
Is there any unit purchaser of this project here waiting for construction to begin?

It is a new street described in the Precinct Plan.
Is the city of toronto plan to widen this narrow street known as The City-owned Rail Spur land running east-west between the properties?

Last edited:
Is the city of toronto plan to widen this narrow street known as The City-owned Rail Spur land running east-west between the properties?
I suggest you read back in this thread, there are several Survey Plans, I see no mention of a rail spur (and do not remember on in this block). The City is taking a section just west of Lower Sherbourne to straighten and widen the street and I assume there will be additional streets created to help servicing all buildings in the block.

There was a spur bounding the north side of this block until the 80s. Perhaps @ShonTron has more info about that? I don't know what it has to to with the current plans though.

Yes, there was a rail spur between Lake Shore and Queen's Quay that ran from Parliament/QQ (connecting to the main harbourfront east spur at that intersection) westward to Jarvis. It ran between the old warehouses on the Quayside property and in front of the doomed Sidewalk Labs offices (now Budget). The slight bend in the property is a good clue.

Yes, there was a rail spur between Lake Shore and Queen's Quay that ran from Parliament/QQ (connecting to the main harbourfront east spur at that intersection) westward to Jarvis. It ran between the old warehouses on the Quayside property and in front of the doomed Sidewalk Labs offices (now Budget). The slight bend in the property is a good clue.
Ah yes, the Railway Car restaurant that used to be where the north part of Sherbourne Common is now was 'parked on/adjacent to it.

1699380406922.png

Thank you all for talking about that.
The fact is I am one of the small unit purchasers at 215 Lake Shore Lakeside Residences by Greenland (September 2018). At the beginning of this year 2023, I learned Pinnacle bought the project from Greenland so their new law firm emailed people with this message that the end of the delay because of the pandemic and completion of the project could be between 2026 and 2028. Through this website, I found a connection to a WhatsApp group where other unit purchasers are waiting for updates on construction which hasn't happened yet to this day. One of the people discovered that there is a complex issue with the site which caused a delay in permits, which led me here to read your comments and search through the internet and find this image and more. Thanks to DSC and Northern light

CityOwnedSpurLine.jpg

It seems the city is planning to widen the spur line and widen the lower Sherbourne also Queens Quay in relation to future LRT (portland Project). That being said, I assume the main reason construction permits are delayed is because of this future plan.

Attachments

• CityOwnedSpurLine.jpg
    CityOwnedSpurLine.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 25

Back