Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

In CF's case, it just seems desperate to me since they love plastering their logo across literally every. single. minute. object. possible.
des·per·a·tion
/ˌdespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
a state of despair, typically one which results in rash or extreme behavior.

I guess you've never seen an Oliver Jewelry commercial.
This happens all the time, nothing new. Here's a GWL-branded crane I shot in 2018, and I've seen many more over the years.
Tower Crane by Jack Landau, on Flickr
It isn't "desperation" it's an obvious way to get your brand out on the skyline while things are under construction.

CF is a somewhat different case though.

It's a landlord, it's not a retailer, nor does it really market its services conventionally speaking.

It's gone from a typical mall/tower owner that usually keeps a low brand profile on its properties.........say a subtle sticker on the front entrance doors or a logo on the runners as you walk in....

To plastering its logo here, there and everywhere.

It's really rather odd; because I don't think it attracts them any net new business.

It's a branding exercise without an obvious return on investment.

I've never met someone who said....."No.....I don't shop at Yorkdale....its an Oxford Mall...........ewww........I'm going to Fairview, cause it's CF and CF malls are always better"

One could apply the same logic to office leasing.

Their current propensity for brand-pushing is just peculiar.

Last edited:
I don't think it is without merit. CF probably desires to grow their prestige and brand to match that of Oxford or Brookfield. Plastering their logo everywhere does help with that, maybe not to the general public, but within the commercial real estate space, and I bet that it does help somewhat with leasing.

Interesting. I've seen the standard "fabric" wrap signs placed on cranes before, but the one's with lights are a new sight for me.

In CF's case, it just seems desperate to me since they love plastering their logo across literally every. single. minute. object. possible.
I really don't have a problem with that. Our skyline needs more lighting and colour - corporate logos and all - not less.

I really don't have a problem with that. Our skyline needs more lighting and colour - corporate logos and all - not less.

Agreed! I often feel like the crown/mechanical penthouse is neglected on all but the more prominent commercial developments. I was pleasantly surprised to see 10 York and Massey Tower getting interesting (and tasteful I think) lighting features.

Is the city generally against such features or why aren't they more prominent? Oftentimes I feel like the SPA and architectural plans are silent on them as well until they just show up. I'm not arguing that we should "Shanghai" all of our buildings, but I definitely think these things add to the presence of the city at night when you're out and about.

Gotta disagree.

Light pollution is bad for the environment and a waste of money.

Things should generally be lit for utility and safety.

I'm fine w/uplighting some heritage buildings architectural features; but otherwise, frivolous light just means you can't see the stars; and someone's electricity bill is higher than need be.

Last edited:
Agreed! I often feel like the crown/mechanical penthouse is neglected on all but the more prominent commercial developments. I was pleasantly surprised to see 10 York and Massey Tower getting interesting (and tasteful I think) lighting features.

Is the city generally against such features or why aren't they more prominent? Oftentimes I feel like the SPA and architectural plans are silent on them as well until they just show up. I'm not arguing that we should "Shanghai" all of our buildings, but I definitely think these things add to the presence of the city at night when you're out and about.
The City does not like it, no. They feel personally slighted that Aura got through and have made things incredibly different for subsequent projects - Massey and 10 York being two of them. Lighting plans are an entirely different set of submissions and have specialized consultant teams so a developer has to want them to really push through with the expense.
Gotta disagree.

Light pollution is bad for the environment and a waste of money.

Things should generally be lit for utility and safety.

I'm fine w/uplighting some heritage buildings architectural features; but otherwise, frivolous light just meets you can't see the stars; and someone's electricity bill is higher than need be.
The electrical draw on modern LEDs is zilch. Like, less than nothing. You'll spend more lighting a 100th of your parking garage with traditional tubes than the entire crown or, be still my beating heart, building.

Would you be saying the same if the business who placed their logo on a given building had an ugly logo? I agree we need more (and properly applied) lighting features in the city, but I disagree with you on corporate logos.

des·per·a·tion
/ˌdespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
a state of despair, typically one which results in rash or extreme behavior.
Seems like the case with CF. Between the larger real estate property/management companies in Toronto (Oxford, Primaris, QuadReal, Ivanhoe Cambridge), Cadillac Fairview seems to be the one who makes the most overt efforts to plaster their logo on everything. I'm sure we'll soon see their logo on the handrails and engraved in staircase across all their properties.

Would you be saying the same if the business who placed their logo on a given building had an ugly logo? I agree we need more (and properly applied) lighting features in the city, but I disagree with you on corporate logos.

Seems like the case with CF. Between the larger real estate property/management companies in Toronto (Oxford, Primaris, QuadReal, Ivanhoe Cambridge), Cadillac Fairview seems to be the one who makes the most overt efforts to plaster their logo on everything. I'm sure we'll soon see their logo on the handrails and engraved in staircase across all their properties.
No, it wouldn't change my opinion.400 University is a good example of this - both the previous 'TATA Consultancy Services' and current 'TCS50' logos are pretty gross, but I'd never argue they shouldn't be there.

Heck, if a condo or rental can offset its user fees with roof or MPH advertising, why not? I'll be interested to see if the City permits Westbank to apply its 'butterfly' to the top of 19 Duncan.

Back