News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 457     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Something odd I noticed on a train I was on yesterday. The driver was able to start moving the train immediately after the doors fully closed at some stations. Normally there would be a one or two second delay before the train moves.

Do you know what the fleet number of the vehicle was? Perhaps this was the first of the new train sets that have shipped without the door issue. Or this could have been an older TR that Bombardier repaired.

The London automatic message is more natural and makes more sense. The next station is blah... change here for this, that, and the other line.

What's wrong with the station announcements?

nothin's wrong with it, it's just that i heard they were going to do something about the interchange station like instead of saying "arriving at interchange station..." etc, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of "arriving at bloor-yonge, passengers wishing to travel eastbound to kennedy or westbound to kipling stations, please change trains here."

Do you know what the fleet number of the vehicle was? Perhaps this was the first of the new train sets that have shipped without the door issue. Or this could have been an older TR that Bombardier repaired.

I'm tempted to say 539x. But my memory escapes me at the moment.

Maybe it wasn't the train. It could've been the driver's driving style. They managed to stick their cab into the tunnel at NYC Station when stopping.

I'm tempted to say 539x. But my memory escapes me at the moment.

Maybe it wasn't the train. It could've been the driver's driving style. They managed to stick their cab into the tunnel at NYC Station when stopping.

Probably was the train. Never have I been on a TR that accelerated right after the doors closed.

I expected those to just be placeholders for something better, but the fact that a year later they still have that completely unhelpful information about the TR funding is unacceptable.

And don't forget the all-important message about not leaving your gum on the subway.

Unless those side screens are going to be used for something useful they might as well be covered over with ads. They are hard enough to see unless you're sitting or standing right in front of them. The "Next Station" screens are far more visible and would definitely be good for time and date and connecting route information.

I was on train 5620 today and the doors consistently shut as the chimes started playing. Normally on the TR, the chimes play and then the doors close. Is this new?

is it just me or did they change the chimes on some of the TRs? I saw a TR passing Lawrence a couple of days ago and when the doors were closing, it had a different tune to it. maybe i am going crazy...

is it just me or did they change the chimes on some of the TRs? I saw a TR passing Lawrence a couple of days ago and when the doors were closing, it had a different tune to it. maybe i am going crazy...

A few trains have been retrofitted with this new one.http://youtu.be/nFT8n1YyNuc

I like this better.. I believe the original TR chimes came from the old TTC website.

Last edited:
A few trains have been retrofitted with this new one.http://youtu.be/nFT8n1YyNuc

I like this better.. I believe the original TR chimes came from the old TTC website.

Is there no chime for the door opening or I am just not hearing it?

Playing "please stand clear of the doors" while the chimes are going off is a great idea. Should solve any timing issues.

Last edited:
nice! so i wasn't going crazy then lol and yea the new chime definitely sounds much better!

TTC debuts revised version of its Rocket subway train

Read More: http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/01/ttc_debuts_revised_version_of_its_rocket_subway_train/

There's an updated version of the TTC's Toronto Rocket subway train circulating beneath the streets of the city this morning. In response to complaints about the lack of handles near the AC unit on the initial Rockets, Bombardier has added a new set of handles and several yellow plastic straps on one test train that the TTC will use to gauge customer response.

- The TTC's Brad Ross says staff will travel with the tweaked train and gather feedback from riders but that there is currently no timetable for the rest of the fleet to receive the modifications. Frustrating issues with the Rocket's doors have been traced to a software problem and will be fixed separately. The precise cost of the retrofit, and whether the TTC or Bombardier foots the bill, has yet to be determined.

20130131-Rocket-Straps.jpg

TTC debuts revised version of its Rocket subway train

Read More: http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/01/ttc_debuts_revised_version_of_its_rocket_subway_train/

There's an updated version of the TTC's Toronto Rocket subway train circulating beneath the streets of the city this morning. In response to complaints about the lack of handles near the AC unit on the initial Rockets, Bombardier has added a new set of handles and several yellow plastic straps on one test train that the TTC will use to gauge customer response.

- The TTC's Brad Ross says staff will travel with the tweaked train and gather feedback from riders but that there is currently no timetable for the rest of the fleet to receive the modifications. Frustrating issues with the Rocket's doors have been traced to a software problem and will be fixed separately. The precise cost of the retrofit, and whether the TTC or Bombardier foots the bill, has yet to be determined.

Hmmm...while I agree that there needed to be more handholds in that area (especially when the car is packed, which it often is), I'm wondering how high the ceiling is with the added bars. My head comes close to hitting the ceiling there even without the bars and while I'm somewhat tall (6'4") I'm hardly a giant. I guess I can always fit my head in between the bars if necessary...probably worth it to at least have something to hold on to. Would have been nice if they just didn't make the AC unit so low in the first place.

Back