News   Jul 10, 2024
 249     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 2.1K     4 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

The T1's were built in the 1990's. Could one of your home computer from the 1990's be able to handle the current software? Or how would a high-definition blue-ray movie look like on a television from the 1990's. The hardware will not be able to handle it.

ATC has been around since the mid 1970s. It wasn't new technology in the 1990s, but the reason why they aren't included on the T1s is because, as we all know, the system itself hasn't been installed on the subway... yet. That being said, ATC work is commencing on the Yonge Subway, and T1 trains in fact have the capability to be equipped with ATC modules when that day comes.

Surely they could have a modification program to get the T1s to use ATC. Montreal didn't seem to have problem modifying the early 1960s trains to use ATC in the mid 1970s. (I'm not sure Blue-Ray is the best comparision for technology ... perhaps 8-track? :) )

Surely they could have a modification program to get the T1s to use ATC. Montreal didn't seem to have problem modifying the early 1960s trains to use ATC in the mid 1970s. (I'm not sure Blue-Ray is the best comparision for technology ... perhaps 8-track? :) )

|
V
and T1 trains in fact have the capability to be equipped with ATC modules when that day comes.

The speed control will be on the YUS and the BD line soon, all the T1 cars that are on the Sheppard line are all on the speed control system. As the TR trains arrive and once WE have tested them and they pass OUR tests then and only then will the H series cars such as the H5 trains will be retired. Eventually all the T1 cars will be on the BD line and TR on the YUS, so what that means is the H5,H6 and the few H4 cars we have will all be gone in the next few years. Those of you who ride the Sheppard line if you look down on track level you will see small rectangular tags, they are used for speed control and will be all over the system. I haven't been on the line in a while but I think they are past Davisville now with the installations.

ATC has been around since the mid 1970s. It wasn't new technology in the 1990s, but the reason why they aren't included on the T1s is because, as we all know, the system itself hasn't been installed on the subway... yet. That being said, ATC work is commencing on the Yonge Subway, and T1 trains in fact have the capability to be equipped with ATC modules when that day comes.

Not only that, but the H-series do too. In fact, they were the first fully automated trains in North America when they ran on the Montreal Expo Express in 1967. Furthermore, Ankara Turkey currently uses H6s with ATC.

Oh, so I guess a lot of us here are mindless, then?

I was referring to you asking about them, I mean people already know you're inerested in them, i'm sure they would've been posted without you having to ask everytime. I'm just saying, change the topic, and maybe talk about other things too. Although I apologize, because I know your just as excited as I am, if not more!

As a side note, I've noticed a black box with two speedometers that light up on certain T1's, one in km/h, and mph. It also has a small LCD screen that lights up with red numbers. It's located above the panel with all the square information lights the ones that say Doors Closed etc. How come only a few have it? I've sen them turned off on the YUS line, but working on the sheppard line, is this part of the ATC? Agram do you know about this? Hmm i've also always wondered why the trains on the BD line have digital speedometres but not the YUS ones...

Last edited:
I was referring to you asking about them, I mean people already know you're inerested in them, i'm sure they would've been posted without you having to ask everytime. I'm just saying, change the topic, and maybe talk about other things too. Although I apologize, because I know your just as excited as I am, if not more!

The reason I keep asking (now and then) about the new car-bourne LCDs is in the hope that someone (like maybe Agram) has, or can get access to acutal pics of the actual installation of the LCDs in the new TRs, as we (hopefully) get closer to launch.

If you had been following my posts (and the kind responses thereto) as you would appear to have us believe, you would have noticed that while there are many pics of interior mock-ups, and the lke, no one has been able to provide pics of the actual interiors, and installation of the LCDs on an actual - as-built car. All we get to see is surreptitious pictures taken steathily from afar, of the outside of the new cars - awaiting testing. Fair enough! That may be all that's available for now. But, it surely doesn't mean someone should be criticised, or made to feel he's asking "mindless questions", for asking for a recent photo of the interior, or one showing the placement of the LCDs, in case one is or comes available. Apology accepted, however i don't want to feel that my brothers here are censuring my particular interest in the interior configuration / attributes of the new cars, which curiousity has yet to be satisfied.

Respectfully, SB

Last edited:
I think ShonTron is gona go beserk again...people can really get off topic in this thread...

Anyways, does anyone have any updates on the Wilson Complex? I mean the new TRs won't be arriving anytime soon until the complex is complete isn't it?

Keep those pictures coming man, the TRs that were posted before look great! Wish to see more!

Wilson complex is almost complete, there are minor issues with some technical stuff but nothing major.

The little black boxes you see on some T1 cars are the actual speed mods that are used on the Sheppard line. When these cars are not on the Sheppard line and are used on the YUS line the black boxes are turned off.

There was an experiment on the speedos to convert them to digital as well as make the exterior marker lights LCD, its only a few cars so don't get excited lol

Not only that, but the H-series do too. In fact, they were the first fully automated trains in North America when they ran on the Montreal Expo Express in 1967. Furthermore, Ankara Turkey currently uses H6s with ATC.
There's no reason that the H-series cars couldn't be modified to run with ATC, with some $. But given that they should all be retired by 2012 or 2013; and ATC won't be operational on the BD line until the 2020s. then there'd be no point even thinking about it.

Thanks for the details agram. Um where exactly in the yard is the complex? some people say you can can see it when going by Wilson yard... I've always wanted to go on a tour of Wilson Yard, I guess it's too busy for tours like greenwood does... It would be awesome to see the new complex.

As you are driving by its the first wall you see from main line, which by the way i still going to be extended more but for the mean time its enough to support the new trains.

The general public can not go into subway yards or carhouses, Greenwood Shops is the exception as they are closed on weekends like Hillcrest. As soon as you have power rails and 600 Volt bugs and train movement its against the Ministry of Labor by law to allow public access.

The general public can not go into subway yards or carhouses, Greenwood Shops is the exception as they are closed on weekends like Hillcrest. As soon as you have power rails and 600 Volt bugs and train movement its against the Ministry of Labor (sic) by law to allow public access.
It's a miracle they even let us into subway stations at all, what with those 600 V power rails and train movement.

Well its a little different in the carhouses where you have 600 volt bugs hanging down at eye level, trains are going in and out regularly. What do you think would happen if a person got hit by one of the subway units as it was coming in. When a maintenance worker moves say from shops or streetcars into subways he cant do any work till he is rule book and subway trained. So if its against policy and law to allow a TTC worker into the carhouse without being trained first why do you think its ok for general public then? You know as well as I do that some person would touch something or wander off and get injured, remember these are functioning carhouses with mechanics and other staff doing work. Schedules have to be met and work just cant stop because some people want to go sight seeing. lol

Back