News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

^ I'm figuring, from what the article said, that the TTC isn't going to go as far as customize a T-1 into a continuous, open concept interior as a showcase on that date. Hence the publically accessable rear doors.

View TTC Mockup New Subway Car June 6-July 21

View TTC Mockup New Subway Car June 6-July 21

The General public will get a chance to view and provide comments on the interior of a T1 car that is in the process of being modify at the Greenwood shops as to what the new subway train may look like starting June the 6 until July 21st at Davisville southbound station platform.

The public can view the mockup car between 11:00 am to 15:00 Monday to Friday and 16:00 to 18:30 on Thursdays. There should be weekend times as most of the public will not be able to get there during the weekdays.

There was talk about putting it on display at Sheppard station as well at the lower Bay station. Bay was rule out as to hard to get to. Sheppard would work. The question was asked where else could it be put on display on the system other than the 2 other locations. None.

It was asked if the could be put on display else where and the issue was raise how to move a 35 ton car that is 75 feet long on a flat deck and where could you display it? City Hall cannot support it.

Why not put it on display at the EX even if it is a month later and it would draw the crowds. It will cost some bucks to do this, but it can be move there at night. Then there will be money needed to staff this for the 3 weeks 7 days a week. If the Commission wants the public input, a month is not going to kill this project.

The T1 will have its ends block off and a full mirror install to give the elusion of a continuous car. The center of the car is been built to resemble what the gangway will look like as well the floor plate between the new cars. The interior will received painted stanches as well other painted areas on the floor. Seating will see some modification, but will not be benches as stated in today Star. It will retain the T1 look. Regardless, the mockup will not have all the bell’s and whistles on it that will be coming with the new train, but will give the a peek of what to come.

The body of the new train will be smooth stainless steel, not the current style. A cleaner look. I still think they should paint it

A website for the new train will up and running starting June 5th when the official unveiling of the mockup car is introduced. It will be on TTC website. There will be an fly through animation of what the exterior as well what the interior will look like and was finish last night by Bombardier. The animation needs a little more work from my end.

There will be a naming contested started at the same time as well general release info to all the news media. The current name is T35A08.

Accessibly signs will be posted on each car where the accessibly area are.

The commissioners raise the issue today as to why the interior of the T1 cannot be brought up to the 21st century with better lighting, interior colours as well a number of other thing. There is to be a short commissioner meeting to disuses this without the public input and one with the public at a later date. I agree on this.

The public is not prepared as to what is going to hit them then the first train shows up at a station 2009, but I cannot wait.

Another question asked by commissioners “can the new train be made longer� Yes they could and would be going back toward the G cars length which would increase the length to 500 feet and add about 10% to the total cost was the response.

From my point of view, TTC should look at this option since you will be able to walk from one end to the other end freely and cut down the squealing noise as the wear and tear on the wheels and rail. The only thing I can see stopping this is what is the shortest length platform?

>:

Kevin was put on the hot seat for his review containg a number of errors by the commissioners.

See my other write up View TTC Mockup New Subway Car June 6-July 21.

Seating is T1 period.

The ends of the cars will contain a foldout walkway ramp. No stroller, scooters or other items other than feet people will be allow to use the ramp.

Glad to hear they're keeping the T1 layout, but what about those centre poles in the rendering? I hope they don't plan on bringing them back and I imagine they wouldn't fit into the TTC's accessibility effort.

There will be a naming contested started at the same time as well general release info to all the news media. The current name is T35A08.

Oh, that's much catchier than T2. ;)

Which car # is being refitted as the prototype? Its just one of those facts that us transit geeks love to know ;)

Another question asked by commissioners “can the new train be made longer� Yes they could and would be going back toward the G cars length which would increase the length to 500 feet and add about 10% to the total cost was the response.

They seem to have enough platform in the stations for this if the driver stops the front right at the end of the platform with no space remaining. My guess is that it would add a little extra operating time at each station because the stopping position would be more precise (not as precise as if there were platform doors of course).

I'm sure many would disagree with me, but it's too bad they're not going for the 'bench' seating. I would rather stand (from Kennedy station) than be stuck against the wall on one of the front/back facing seats. It's not easy to get in/out, and it just feels crowded there.

On the other hand, if by accepting the traditional layout for the cars it means we get the subways here faster with less himming and hawing from the politicians, it's a fair compromise.

It's a "subway car" so maybe we can name it "Toronto SC". The idea is to let the whole city to feel ownership and to provide the opportunity for a meaningful nickname to emerge over time. :b

Link to article

New cars panned
Train interiors look much like current subway

By ROB GRANATSTEIN, CITY HALL BUREAU

The TTC's design for its new subway cars got another bruising reception from commissioners yesterday.

TTC vice-chairman Adam Giambrone looked at the presentation and wanted to know why the interiors were the same as in old cars.

"Why aren't we looking at train design indicative of today?" Giambrone said.

He had hoped to see modern lighting and design in the 232 new trains, expected to debut in 2009.

"It was brought to you before and you rejected half of them," said Rick Ducharme, TTC chief general manager.

The new trains will move from being six separate cars to one long unit in which riders will be able to walk from one end of the train to the other.

It means a sleeker, curved design at the front of the train, but no more forward-looking front window seats.

Project manager Chris Heald said the envelope could be pushed to become more modern. He sees that happening with colours.

The trains need a name and a Name That Train contest will be launched in June.

The public can see and comment on the new train interior starting June 6 at Davisville station. A concept train may move around the system.

Courtesy: Toronto Sun

My guess is that it would add a little extra operating time at each station because the stopping position would be more precise (not as precise as if there were platform doors of course).

Doesn't the new speed control system coming online soon handle the braking for station stops (smoother more consistent ride)? If so, this would not add any additional time.

If they could squeeze in a 5th set of doors then dwell time at stations like Bloor/Yonge (choke point) and King (another major choke point) would decrease significantly -- huge win.

Since the cars in the middle will not have a drivers cab to worry about they might be able to do it.

I'm sure many would disagree with me, but it's too bad they're not going for the 'bench' seating. I would rather stand (from Kennedy station) than be stuck against the wall on one of the front/back facing seats. It's not easy to get in/out, and it just feels crowded there.

Fair opinion, but I feel the opposite. I'd rather be stuck against the wall on one side, rather than be squished between two people. When I need to get off, I just politely ask, and the person next to me will move or get up. It also helps that I come down the Spadina Line in the morning, and go around the "U" to Queen, so usually most people are off by then anyway.

My favourite thing about the T-1s are the wide doors (for which 7 seats per car were sacrificed compared to the H 4,5,6 series). They really do wonders when there's heavy boardings and disembarkings.

Back