News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 568     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 868     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

unless they're really old, and have orange vinyl benches and giant round ceiling fans hanging down. Those work too

I'll take H4s! I'll take the orange benches over the red formed seats any day (which might explain my tolerance for the rear-gated ex-STCUM New Looks, with the brown ugly but comfy benches), and I am a fan of the New Looks - the bus equivalent to the steel boxes of the subway (M, H and T series), and the PCCs of the streetcar fleet.

And my favourite subway moment of recent times took place in a H-4 - a busy Friday afternoon, eastbound at St. George. There's hundreds entering and exiting the train. The conductor warns on the PA that the doors are closing, and gets out a whistle and blows it twice as the door chimes also sound. The whistle comes out again at Bay. That was great.

I'd like to see the new trains have buttons to open the doors like on most European subway trains, if only for winter. There's nothing more frustrating that having all the doors open at Rosedale station and getting a blast of cold air with nobody getting on or off. It could save the TTC a fortune in heating costs

Not exactly related, but I also think that every new escalator the TTC installs should automatically shut off when nobody is riding. It's almost universal in Europe and Japan, so I can't understand why the TTC wouldn't take the opportunity to save some money, not to mention energy.

These are all nice trains but I have no problem with our current boxes of rivet-covered grey metal.

I'd like to see the new trains have buttons to open the doors like on most European subway trains, if only for winter. There's nothing more frustrating that having all the doors open at Rosedale station and getting a blast of cold air with nobody getting on or off. It could save the TTC a fortune in heating costs

The remaining gap between Bloor and Summerhill should be covered and turned into parkland. The front yard at Rosedale might go up for sale soon, so perhaps that revenue could be used for part of it.

These are the same trains in which you can walk from one end to the other right...

If anyone wants a copy of the presentation shown at TTC meeting on Jan 26, I have a copy of it in powerpoint that is 3 mil in size.

It does not contain the video's that were shown with the presentation.

Send me your email and I will send it to you.

I thought I heard something about the local residents defeating plans to sell that Rosedale station lawn.

On the Transit Toronto website there is a rendering of a mockup (an interesting combo) of the new subway car features. I'm not a big fan. One of the reasons I like the L shaped seating is that it helps you avoid accidentally staring at the guy who looks like he will take looking at him too long as a personal attack. In addition it looks like the new subway has less windows... another place I like to park my eyes to avoid trouble. I start thinking about things while sitting on the subway and not having a place to park my eyes will get me in trouble. I hate it when a pull out of a deep thought only to realize people are looking at me with an evil look because my eyes were parked on someone's ass or at the person across the aisle. Also on long trips it is nice to get a seat against the wall or partition in case you are exhausted. It would be even worse to wake up on someone's shoulder after snoring and drooling. :eek

I start thinking about things while sitting on the subway and not having a place to park my eyes will get me in trouble.

Don't forget about the electronic route map and the new screens in the new trains. Plenty of high-tech eye candies to park your eyes at.

If all things fail, you can resort to sticking a second-hand Metro paper in front of you!

Or wait for an older train to come.

It will also make it easier for bums to beg for money across the whole train. But other than that an open train is a great idea.

New Subway Car Layout Sharply Criticized by Commissioners

The TTC staff made a presentation at the commission meeting today in which they recommended the perimeter seating arrangement on the new subway cars. They claimed an assortment of safety and security benefits, though they said that capacity was identical. A number of commissioners denounced the plan, particularly Chair Howard Moscoe who suggested that they had "All the charm of a CNE washroom."

The commissioners seemed to want the public to be presented with a mockup of the existing mixed style as well as the perimeter style, but the TTC staff were opposed since they assumed the public would overwhelmingly choose the mixed style.

Re: New Subway Car Layout Sharply Criticized by Commissioner

"They claimed an assortment of safety and security benefits, though they said that capacity was identical."

There's just no way a bench that is the same length as three regular seats will hold three people as often as the seats do.

Re: New Subway Car Layout Sharply Criticized by Commissioner

Its not about the seats. Its about standing room. I agree with the perimeter seating layout is better for capacity. How many times do you see people all bunched around the exits while the area between the 2 side seats is empty.

Back