News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Yippee, lucky for me, Davisville is my stop.

Subway Station Date Time
Davisville June 6 to June 20 , 2006 11a.m. to 3p.m. *4:30p.m. to 6:30p.m.(Thursday's only)
Finch June 21 to June 23, 2006 11a.m. to 3p.m.
Kennedy June 26 to June 30, 2006 11a.m. to 3p.m.
Kipling July 10 to July 14, 2006 11a.m. to 3p.m.
Downsview July 17 to July 21, 2006 11a.m. to 3.p.m

The four schemes are displayed for colour purposes only... the seating proposed is as shown in all the other images.

They are also having a name the subway model contest. I think since the middle cars will now be completely different from the end cars there should be two names. My suggestion is to name the end cars model "R2" and the middle cars model "D2". So a subway on the Yonge line would consist of R2-D2-D2-D2-D2-R2.

These multi-purpose areas will also be useful for people with ... large luggage items

For all those people coming from the airport on our Eglinton Subway line... oh, wait...

Seriously, though, I'm really excited about this. I love those electronic displays and the signs showing next stop and what side to exit. I've always admired those in other cities systems. Of course, they are of little value to regular transit users, but it's still cool to see.

It looks a little like a high-speed train with a shortened nose. Perhaps "stubby" would be an appropriate moniker. We can paint the cars brown and put giant Molson Canadian wrappers around the middle...

They should only have the line that subway is running (which will be Y-U-S anyway), with the connecting points, like the active maps in NYC and HK.

Actually, the electronic route maps in the "regular" Hong Kong MTR subway trains do show the whole network. The system is small and simple enough for a map of it to fit above the train doors...

Nt_SystemMap_2_P.jpg

But yes... I agree that it would be tough to fit an electronic map of the entire TTC subway in the new trains.

I appreciate TTC for wanting to catch up with more advanced subway systems in the world in terms of train technology, but I think having the electronic route map, the next station display AND an LCD for safety messages is somewhat of a technology overkill. Why an LCD screen only for safety messages, with a ticker only for showing the name of the next station? I think that one "Telecite" screen system showing safety messages, the next station, plus other messages (info on delays, news, weather, etc.) is enough. No need for excessive electronic kitsch that would add more to the TTC's budget burdens.

By the way... the new TTC train design bears a striking resemblance to the train design for the Canada (RAV) Line in Vancouver (to be built by ROTEM, which also built trains for Hong Kong's MTR)

2005-11-25_Canada-Line-4.jpg

I' like to see some buttons to open the subway doors (instead of them just automatically opening). Otherwise, I love all the new bells and whistles.

I went to the thing today. What a big disappointment!
Basically, it's a dirty H5 car with a mirror on one end, some tape on the floor, and a mock next station display with the text '<<< Davisville ' made of cardboard.

I guess I was expecting too much.

I think it was more to show how the connection between the cars would be set up and the seating arrangement. If you are going to see a full mockup with two cars actually connected to each other and new styling then it would be a complete disappointment.

No, the mirror is fine - I knew they were going to do that, but I was expecting real LED displays, a more modern looking interior etc, something like the New York mockup.

I think TTC's marketing on this is deceptive. 'An exhibition on rail' would have been a better description.

Article

Public gets first look at subway facelift

JEFF GRAY

The Toronto Transit Commission unveiled a $40,000 makeshift mock-up of the proposed interior of the new subway car yesterday, in the hopes of getting public input on the design.

One of the TTC's current fleet of T1 subway cars, which date from the late 1990s, was modified to show some of the features expected to be included on the fleet of 234 cars, slated to hit the rails in 2009.

The new car includes an electronic TTC system map, which can show riders what station they are in and which direction they are headed, as well as a sure-to-be-popular indicator that tells passengers on which side the doors will open as the car enters each station.

But the mock-up does not have all of the finishing touches of the new design, said Chris Heald, the TTC official overseeing the $755-million subway project, because an exact model would have been too expensive.

Its floors and walls still look like the old car used by TTC staff to make the mock-up.

The most radical new feature will allow passengers to walk from car to car while the train is in motion, a move that TTC officials say will increase capacity by about 8 per cent, or 80 people on a train carrying 1,000 passengers. On the mock-up, the look of one long open train is achieved using mirrors.

But TTC vice-chairman Adam Giambrone, despite singing the praises of many of the new features, said the look of the new car is far too similar to the current crop, with burgundy seats and metal accents.

"This is good for the new millennium," Mr. Giambrone said. "But by the time these arrive, it will be the second decade of the 21st century."

One of the proposed design ideas trashed by Mr. Giambrone, TTC chairman Howard Moscoe and other commissioners was "perimeter seating," which involves lining the cars with bench-like seats.

The mock-up will be open to the public at Davisville station from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and again at 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. until June 20; Finch station June 21-23; Kennedy station June 26-30; Kipling station July 10-14, and Downsview station July 17-21.

Riders will get a chance to comment on special features and the colour scheme. The TTC is also running a contest, seeking suggestions on names for the new trains.

Went to see it during my lunch break. It is worth seeing - the LED map surprised me - very well done - stops passed would be in red, stops to go would be in green, with the next one flashing. At the transfer points, the connecting line would flash as well.

Except for the flooring (which was not done up) the car was done very well. The joint between cars was in the middle of the single T1 in the concept, and the mirrors served their purpose very well.

The survey you get has leading questions (ie these are the benefits of this new feature - then check off all the benefits they repeated, though you could check off a write-in). For the safety message LCD screens, I wrote that they could be used for service announcements/advisories such as "elevator out at St. George" or "delays on WB Bloor-Danforth line at Broadview Station", but NO ADS! Numbers and plates direct you to the applicable page on the survey screen.

No questions on the survey about seating layout, but they are planning for the typical mixed layout.

Again, worth seeing. The mock-up was well done.

It would be nice if the seats where designed farther apart and made more comfy like GO TRANSIT trains.

The subways have to be made more confortable then they are. And making the seats just a couple CM further apart would help alot in the winter when everyone is in coats.

Finch station June 21-23; Kennedy station June 26-30; Kipling station July 10-14, and Downsview station July 17-21.
Anyone know how this will be done without an extra track to place the mock-up on?

Back