News   Jul 15, 2024
 393     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 553     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 564     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Very cool - thanks!

I have to wonder - wouldn't it have been cheaper to just install an LCD screen in place of these signboards? They've got to be custom, with a lot of work mounting all the LED's and so on... but you can buy LCD screens for cheap since they're made in such large quantities, and then you can do whatever you want on them (show next stop, show a system map, show an ad, show a big Bombardier logo... :)

I agree! The Toronto Rockets already have small LCD screens in the middle sections of the cab between the ads. Why couldn't they have installed larger widescreen ones above the doors? There would be more flexibility in terms of what they could display.

The existing LCD screens as they are being used now are fairly useless - most of the time they display a gigantic static TTC logo or safety warning, then in tiny font below it shows "The next stop is ____." It's not particularly useful for those who are vision impaired, and depending on where you are seated, the handgrips actually block seeing the section showing the next station name because the font is so small.

Very cool - thanks!

I have to wonder - wouldn't it have been cheaper to just install an LCD screen in place of these signboards? They've got to be custom, with a lot of work mounting all the LED's and so on... but you can buy LCD screens for cheap since they're made in such large quantities, and then you can do whatever you want on them (show next stop, show a system map, show an ad, show a big Bombardier logo... :)
These boards were probably designed around 2008.. long before LED lighting systems were cheap. Its easy to forget about how recently LED lighting systems have become affordable.. that would have been an extremely expensive system in 2008.

I think I didn't explain myself properly - I was suggesting the LED-populated custom signboards that show the stations could have been substituted for an LCD Computer-Monitor type screen. They're a dime a dozen and are flexible, whereas a custom circuit board, getting a small batch run of a couple hundred with all the LED's soldered in, is relatively expensive and inflexible.

I think I didn't explain myself properly - I was suggesting the LED-populated custom signboards that show the stations could have been substituted for an LCD Computer-Monitor type screen. They're a dime a dozen and are flexible, whereas a custom circuit board, getting a small batch run of a couple hundred with all the LED's soldered in, is relatively expensive and inflexible.

I think the Previous post makes a good point the Rocket trains were designed in 2008 at the time LED panels were not being made like they are now. Typically they were only being installed in large sports stadiums and arenas at that point.

It was also genuinely a creative and simple change to the common subway map everyone was used to looking at.

I think that was there think too people are used to seeing the subway map on the train.The lights were probably added to save poel from asking which way is the train going on the map and which station is next. I've helped many tourists and locals on both T1 and Toronto Rockets figure it out

People have mentioned that the red/green colour scheme of those lights is completely counter-intuitive and I recently saw proof of this. I was on a southbound train at Bloor-Yonge. The doors opened and a family of tourists got on. They looked at the lights on the map and said 'Okay we want Union station... Wait it's all RED lights going to Union and GREEN lights going to Finch. I think this train is going to Finch. We have to get off and take the opposite train... Hurry!" They quickly turned around and got off the train - misdirected thanks to those LED lights.

People have mentioned that the red/green colour scheme of those lights is completely counter-intuitive and I recently saw proof of this. I was on a southbound train at Bloor-Yonge. The doors opened and a family of tourists got on. They looked at the lights on the map and said 'Okay we want Union station... Wait it's all RED lights going to Union and GREEN lights going to Finch. I think this train is going to Finch. We have to get off and take the opposite train... Hurry!" They quickly turned around and got off the train - misdirected thanks to those LED lights.

There are no destination signage next to the doors, on both the outside AND outside of the cars.

Why not? Because there are no funds to add them. Cities that do so because they have more subsidies available than the TTC.

Why not? Because there are no funds to add them. Cities that do so because they have more subsidies available than the TTC.[/QUOTE said:
poor excuse. Its more like poor management of the funds available. An example is the next stop screens. Instead of displaying clear large next stops, they pretty much regurgitate in prose what the lady on the speaker says.
Same goes for the giant TVs at the stations. you have to squint close up to even see the corner of the screen that is the ETA time. Not to mention the $$$ required to program that. I bet they wouldnt need to spend that much more money to do it like Montreal and have a separate TV for ads and simple LED display for ETAs. TTC tends to go for extravagance over the KISS principle

Last edited:

YES! I've often talked about this, written the TTC about it and even posted on this forum about it where I was called a liar so I stopped trying. It's ridiculous and backwards and confusing but apparently not everyone agrees with me.

YES! I've often talked about this, written the TTC about it and even posted on this forum about it where I was called a liar so I stopped trying. It's ridiculous and backwards and confusing but apparently not everyone agrees with me.

I agree with you. It's always been counter intuitive to me too.

There are no destination signage next to the doors, on both the outside AND outside of the cars.

Why not? Because there are no funds to add them. Cities that do so because they have more subsidies available than the TTC.

Hell, it'd be nice if they had an LED sign on the platform showing the train destination and estimated time of arrival. It can be annoying sometimes when the train is short turning like it does at St. Clair West and you don't know because the only place it'd show is at the front of the train and it's easy to miss.

Hell, it'd be nice if they had an LED sign on the platform showing the train destination and estimated time of arrival. It can be annoying sometimes when the train is short turning like it does at St. Clair West and you don't know because the only place it'd show is at the front of the train and it's easy to miss.
On the map, the LEDs only light up to St Clair West when they short turn. That's 24 more places you didn't look on the train.

Totally agreed with you that current lights are backward. They are opposite in Europe than here and it more clear which direction the train is going there.

I only saw a couple systems in Europe telling when the next train will arrive with a countdown to the second. Never saw any direction signs on platforms, but did see them on both Trams and subway. Some told you not only the time to the next stop, but also the end of the line. They even told you what routes were at the next stop as well the time of their arrival there.

I have said for some years it would be nice to have the screens with the arrival time on the columns between the tracks or on the wall every 100 feet or less than these overhead 1-3 per platform.

Zürich
8090965849_b842c5ecb5_k.jpg

Milan
8038193308_75a9ba6692_k.jpg

Back