News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 436     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Wish the same could be said for the new streetcars....theyre all the same spec, they should be pressed into service asap

What makes you think they don't test out the trains?

Honestly, do you buy 200 houses from a developer and not hire someone to go through each one thoroughly to check that they were built correctly? That's insane to take manufacturing defects on as your own responsibility. The value of a train is way above that of most houses (even when you include land value).

I'm sometimes surprised at the number of people in this forum who have never been responsible for or watched a high-value purchase.

Last edited:
There are a few T1s on Line 1. I like to call them unicorns because they're so rare.

I remember when the TRs were rare and I would sometimes wait for one just to ride it.

I rode a T1 today on YUS line.
Is there a reason why they've brought back some specifically for more capacity, as opposed to the other TRs that I often see at Davisville or Wilson?

Smallspy mentioned that the TRs don't yet have glycol solutions that I presume is used to prevent the tracks from freezing. Once a few TRs are outfitted with glycol, the T1s should be moved to Line 2.

The first time I saw a TR I yelped from my surprise and excitement. Fun times :)

What makes YOU think they test ALL the trains on the Sheppard Line?

I don't. There is no reasonable expectation that Toronto Rockets will ever run revenue service on Sheppard.

There is expectation that Rockets will run on Bloor at some point (as emergency relief if a yard gets jammed if nothing else) which makes it worth running a lap when receiving it.

My reading of the comment I responded to earlier was bemoaning testing streetcars and implied that the subway cars were not being tested on delivery.

Last edited:
I don't. There is no reasonable expectation that Toronto Rockets will ever run revenue service on Sheppard.

There is expectation that Rockets will run on Bloor at some point (as emergency relief if a yard gets jammed if nothing else) which makes it worth running a lap when receiving it.

My reading of the comment I responded to earlier was bemoaning testing streetcars and implied that the subway cars were not being tested on delivery.

Give it 25 years to 30 years, they'll be on Sheppard. Just as they start getting looking for and getting replacements for the TR.

Changes in design and technology. Create your wishlist now. I want a railfan window, so my grandchildren or great-grandchildren can get a view out the front of the train.

At least one of the windows at the front of the TRs is see through once you get close to it.

Personally I want nicer seats, like those found on the new buses and streetcars.

At least one of the windows at the front of the TRs is see through once you get close to it.

Personally I want nicer seats, like those found on the new buses and streetcars.
That "mirror" at the front or the back of the train is actually a railfan window (if you look very closely with something providing shade over your eyes and the window).

Railfan window? it says don't block doorway. Which of course know one will enforce it, but its certainly not a railfan window. I guess the enjoyment of seeing out the front or back will be history. I actually got excited when I saw a T1 the other day on Line 1, I car hoped all the way to the first car to look out the front window. Even seeing separate cars juggling in a train set between cars will also be history.

The operation Cost to making Sheppard line a TR line should change I'm assuming, just the cost to take down the walls, and I guess the signaling set up. TTC would be stupid to get a 4 Car TR train. Just make it consistent right through. And I always thought TTC would test out a train on all lines, BD and Sheppard to make sure its good for the system, and not just one line, because we all know TTC likes to move trains around eventually. That could have been all done when the TRs were new. I know theres a slim chance of the TRs not working out on BD line, but still.

Do the Rocket subway cars have dashboard cameras? what about putting monitor screens on each car, front train half looking forward, rear train half looking backward? If the operator releases the deadman control or hits emergency, the monitor screens goes to commercial.

The TTC is planning to run a four car TR train on the Sheppard line with a prototype train door monitoring system that will allow for one person train operation.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...6/Reports/PA_Train_Door_Monitoring_System.pdf

The system will use cameras installed on the platform that will transmit video to a display in the operators cab that will show the train doors.

The report also claims that the Sheppard line will need to switch to TR trains before the switch to ATO on line 1.

Last edited:
Summary:
Summary: The TTC is in the process of modernizing its subway operations. In line with the modernization, the TTC’s Five Year Corporate Plan includes the implementation of One Person Train Operation (OPTO). OPTO will be implemented on all subway lines, except Line 3 Scarborough Rapid Transit where this technology is already fully operational.
OPTO will be piloted on Line 4 with four car Toronto Rocket (TR) trains. The subway car operator cabs will require installation of a Train Door Monitoring (TDM) System to allow the operator to have a clear view of the platform and car doors from their seat, and relocation and modification of the door control system to allow the operator to safely open and close the doors. Engineering design is required for modifications to the TR train to facilitate the associated work.
Upon successful completion of the pilot project, the OPTO program will then expand to the remaining TR trains operating on Line 1. Following Line 1 installation, work will begin on Line 2 and the T1 trains.
A Change Directive to Bombardier Transportation Canada Inc. (Bombardier) in the amount of $2,734,822.98, including taxes is required for the engineering design to facilitate the changes to the TR train.
Line 4 Sheppard Line was selected as the pilot for the OPTO concept because there are only 4 trains operating during customer service hours.

Back