Toronto 100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

Funny thing is: my Third Reich comparison *wasn't* meant as an insult, necessarily...

I don't think anybody's was in this case. And though people are reluctant to say it, the Nazis did build some nice stuff. The Nuernberg rally grounds are now a beautiful park, with some attractive buildings...

Funny thing is: my Third Reich comparison *wasn't* meant as an insult, necessarily...

Speer has a definite vision, one that is aesthetically interesting even if it was in the service of a horrific regime.

The LCBO actually leases 4/5 floors in the Toronto Star building at 1 Yonge Street. I don't think that many office jobs will have to be moved if this building is sold...

The picture by Redroom Studios from another thread shows how great the existing building and warehouse could be a as a podium for something tall, IMO.

Jan2012_Southwest.jpg

From Bisonblight at SSC: I overheard this in passing and didn't get a chance to ask the gentlemen I heard it from, but there is a proposal for a 75 storey building for the site of the LCBO headquarters at 55 Lakeshore Blvd. East. The two gentlemen would know what they are talking about.

From Marcanadian at SSC: Do you know if that includes that massive parking lot, or just the footprint of the current building?

From Bisonblight at SSC: I have no idea. I was at a presentation, and someone mentioned the sale of the LCBO headquarters, and the two gentlemen responded that it was a done deal (they had just come from a meeting relating to it) and that there was a 75 storey proposal for it. That's how I understood the exchange anyway.

Last edited:
I love Santa Maria Novella! When I first saw it, I was blown away. Definitely one of my favourite buildings, despite its political heritage.

I agree with the earlier post that suggests that the lot should be broken up rather than being sold off for a superblock development.

what is the LCBO land proposal?

LCBO HQ + Warehouse Site @ Queens Quay

The Ontario government wants to sell the land for around $200 million. At that price, the developer would need to build to at least Southcore densities to make a reasonable return on investment. There is this 2012 rumour about the site:

From Bisonblight at SSC: I overheard this in passing and didn't get a chance to ask the gentlemen I heard it from, but there is a proposal for a 75 storey building for the site of the LCBO headquarters at 55 Lakeshore Blvd. East. The two gentlemen would know what they are talking about.

From Marcanadian at SSC: Do you know if that includes that massive parking lot, or just the footprint of the current building?

From Bisonblight at SSC: I have no idea. I was at a presentation, and someone mentioned the sale of the LCBO headquarters, and the two gentlemen responded that it was a done deal (they had just come from a meeting relating to it) and that there was a 75 storey proposal for it. That's how I understood the exchange anyway.

Given more recent nearby proposals, I would expect that the project would end up even denser than this suggests.

if any developer buy this land we might have a possibility of having a supertall because this land is huge.

Back