Toronto 100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

The Queen's Quay (#217) store is the flagship of the LCBO. It is, and always has been, a huge destination store with ample parking and the largest Vintages selection in the province. It current holds the highest sales for restaurants, and either the highest or second highest sales for households. There is no way that the LCBO would not replace it either on site or nearby.

The Star states that a flagship location would likely remain as part of any redevelopment.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...o-to-sell-downtown-lcbo-warehouse-and-hq?bn=1

At the very least, I say take the office portion of the existing structure and retain it. It's not extremely ornate or anything, but it provides some texture and historical reference to the block.

Relocate a new flagship store in this portion of the building, spread out over parts of the first two floors perhaps.

At the very least, I say take the office portion of the existing structure and retain it. It's not extremely ornate or anything, but it provides some texture and historical reference to the block.

I like the warehouse just as much. With the yellow brick and austere good looks it reminds me a bit of Bankside Power Station. (OK, a very little bit.)
And re: facade - I thought the building is a lot weaker than the OPP HQ in this regards.

AoD

Maybe. But you're not saying two wrongs make a right?

One problem with the LCBO facade relative to OPP is that it faces away from the water, and into the Gardiner, i.e. it never offered itself to "skyline shots" and the like.

Otherwise, I've long considered it to be Toronto's best piece of "Third Reich" modernism--there's something about that Lakeshore facade (and by extention to the whole complex) that strikes the kind of severe, rigorous classicistic note that Albert Speer was aiming at...

Godwin's Second Law: Eventually, just comparing somebody to Hitler won't be enough; further insults will be needed.

So you're saying the LCBO are like cheap Nazis?

Tomorrow's front page of the Sun.

I too am quite partial towards the Lakeshore East head office location. Ideally if the property were parceled off to different developers, it is certainly a possibility that it could be saved or used as a base for some 40 story glass box.

I actually think that this decision is pretty reasonable. There's no reason a warehouse and offices need to be on such incredibly valuable near-waterfront land. Sell it, buy some land where it's a bit cheaper, and let the profits go into tax revenues. Then that prime property can be redeveloped into something much more interesting, and a new LCBO store can open in that redevelopment. I just can't see any reason to get particularly upset over this one.

Godwin's Second Law: Eventually, just comparing somebody to Hitler won't be enough; further insults will be needed.

Funny thing is: my Third Reich comparison *wasn't* meant as an insult, necessarily...

Back