Toronto 100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

The LCBO Head Office and the Warehouse were built in 1947 and are both heritage listed, but not designated. Listing means a more, shall we say nuanced development process, but it does not mean necessarily that the buildings will be retained. Some parts might be though.

Thanks for clarifying..

Not long ago, do you remember this down the street

`
90harbour.jpg

I figure these so-and-so LCBO bldgs. will meet the same fate.

Losing the LCBO buildings would not be a total tragedy, but retaining them creates a lot of interesting opportunities. If they're simply wiped off the face of the earth, they'll most likely get replaced with very typical condominium platforms that are going to be popping up all over the waterfront. If they're retained they will continue to have a unique presence in the area.

My thoughts too. Retaining at least a block or two of the present buildings might be cool. Seeing modern stuff rising up from these older blocks might actually work.

On the other hand, should some kind of daringly visionary, comprehensive design comes up I'd be in favour of wiping out all traces of the existing stuff.

My thoughts too. Retaining at least a block or two of the present buildings might be cool. Seeing modern stuff rising up from these older blocks might actually work.

On the other hand, should some kind of daringly visionary, comprehensive design comes up I'd be in favour of wiping out all traces of the existing stuff.
You may want to read the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan info at http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2014.TE34.95 These proposal suggest retaining at least part of the LCBO historic buildings.

Yeah, I'm aware of that stipulation. Is it merely a recommendation or is it binding?
It is in Appendix 6 of Staff Report noted above. Council accepted these guidelines so they are what the staff will be applying. That's not to say all will be saved at the end of the day but that's the current intention.

Heritage
17) Conserve the LCBO office building and warehouse on the listed heritage property at 55 Lake Shore Boulevard East.
18) Development and site alteration at 55 Lake Shore Boulevard East will require evaluation to demonstrate that the proposed development conserves the integrity
of the property's cultural heritage value and heritage attributes.
19) City Council will reserve the option to designate the property at 55 Lake Shore Boulevard East.
20) New buildings at 55 Lake Shore Boulevard East and on adjacent properties will be required to demonstrate and achieve an appropriate relationship with the listed heritage buildings through consideration of matters including, but not limited to, building massing, setbacks, step-backs, materials and architectural character to ensure the integrity of the property's cultural heritage value and attributes will be conserved.
21) Development and site alterations will not be permitted on lands containing archeological resources or areas of archaeological potential unless significant
archaeological resources have been conserved or documented as appropriate.

Is this sort of drivel and the resulting reaction some sort of right of passage for every new member these days?

You do realize there is no such thing as seniority on UT, so stop trying to elevate yourself over others just because you've been here longer.

Not long ago, do you remember this down the street

I figure these so-and-so LCBO bldgs. will meet the same fate.

Have to agreed, there's little difference between the two. The LCBO building is far larger a few years older but it is even less interesting architecturally. When it comes to massive historical warehouse/factories here's a couple that should of been saved or at least re-integrated somehow;
http://chuckmantorontonostalgia.wordpress.com/page/15/

All that's left of those is building 9;
DSCN4389.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN4389.jpg
    DSCN4389.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 765
Last edited:
It is in Appendix 6 of Staff Report noted above. Council accepted these guidelines so they are what the staff will be applying. That's not to say all will be saved at the end of the day but that's the current intention.

Heritage
17) Conserve the LCBO office building and warehouse on the listed heritage property at 55 Lake Shore Boulevard East.
18) Development and site alteration at 55 Lake Shore Boulevard East will require evaluation to demonstrate that the proposed development conserves the integrity
of the property's cultural heritage value and heritage attributes.
19) City Council will reserve the option to designate the property at 55 Lake Shore Boulevard East.
20) New buildings at 55 Lake Shore Boulevard East and on adjacent properties will be required to demonstrate and achieve an appropriate relationship with the listed heritage buildings through consideration of matters including, but not limited to, building massing, setbacks, step-backs, materials and architectural character to ensure the integrity of the property's cultural heritage value and attributes will be conserved.
21) Development and site alterations will not be permitted on lands containing archeological resources or areas of archaeological potential unless significant
archaeological resources have been conserved or documented as appropriate.

If that is the case, dont expect the provincial government to fetch the 200-300 million bucks that they expect

The picture by Redroom Studios from another thread shows how great the existing building and warehouse could be a as a podium for something tall, IMO.

Jan2012_Southwest.jpg

I could see them keeping that office component just south of the highway, but everything else...for what??:eek:

Oh, I dunno. Considering its location it's still a sweet chunk of real estate. Whoever wants it will have to pay dearly for it. Practically on the waterfront, several football fields in size... I expect it'll fetch crazy money. Downtown is getting rapidly built out. It's all about the real estate, baby. Even with recommendations / constraints to somehow respect legacy elements, it remains a crown jewel.

Trust me, developers make a profit. They wouldn't be in the game otherwise.

Let me dig out the world's teeniest violin to play a sympathetic sonata for the poor developers.

Ask developer #1 if developer #2 overpaid for property X, and they'll tell you they don't know how #2 will be able to make a go out of it. Point being that they are lots of developers around this city shaking their heads about what others are paying for some sites, and doubting that if they had paid that much how they would ever make a profit. For example, there's a particular site just east of Downtown south of Front that other developers are wondering how the purchaser ever agreed to pay as much as they did. Here, it remains to be seen based on the size of this parcel how many developers will be getting in on the RFP, and how many consortiums of builders will get together to try to purchase it.

Back