Toronto 10 Prince Arthur | 27.55m | 7s | North Drive | Richard Wengle

Gradually more stuff being thrown out as the vines continue their growth:

20200829_081444.jpg

...more curiusly though, I'm not sure how they're going to seperate those vines out from the heritage portion without compromising that front wall structure. Unless they're planning to tear said wall down and rebuild to it's original spec.

...more curiusly though, I'm not sure how they're going to seperate those vines out from the heritage portion without compromising that front wall structure. Unless they're planning to tear said wall down and rebuild to it's original spec.

A rebuild looks likely. Based on the rendering, the facade shape of it is also brought forward closer to the sidewalk.

Yes, I'm /upvoting a Wengle. He seems to have moved out of his Stern obsession with this one.

Yes, I'm /upvoting a Wengle. He seems to have moved out of his Stern obsession with this one.
He told us years ago that he actually trained as a Modernist architect. As he also had a facility with replicating traditional styles, old traditional house let to another and another and etc, and suddenly he's Forest Hill and surroundings best known name in that regard, especially as he's been willing to indulge any rich client's need for never-enough, such as at 60 Forest Hill Road:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.688...4!1sjqKlHoKXRg4ilZ4CI_Pikg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Most of his work is more restrained than that though, and this project shows that he really does have to chops to create elegant, warm Modernist architecture.

He told us years ago that he actually trained as a Modernist architect. As he also had a facility with replicating traditional styles, old traditional house let to another and another and etc, and suddenly he's Forest Hill and surroundings best known name in that regard, especially as he's been willing to indulge any rich client's need for never-enough, such as at 60 Forest Hill Road:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.688...4!1sjqKlHoKXRg4ilZ4CI_Pikg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Most of his work is more restrained than that though, and this project shows that he really does have to chops to create elegant, warm Modernist architecture.

Wow, that project is unfortunate. Imagine having enough money to build that...............and then building that with it...........

Observation, I quite like a lot of Stern's stuff. I don't want 'faux' heritage everywhere, but done well it has a place; Done well it's not really faux; excepting modern building codes and amenities.

I think Stern more often than not gets the details right; the material pallet etc.

But in the link @interchange42 posted above, you see three prominent garages completely out of keeping w/the style being emulated; or good design of any description really.

There are proportions that are off, the building doesn't end up conferring a feeling that you are looking at a building from the period superficially portrayed.

I realize, a lot (most/all) of that is on the client. But I wouldn't want to take credit for that.

I think Wengle's modernist designs are better, consistently, than his period stuff.

Observation, I quite like a lot of Stern's stuff. I don't want 'faux' heritage everywhere, but done well it has a place; Done well it's not really faux; excepting modern building codes and amenities.

I think Stern more often than not gets the details right; the material pallet etc.

But in the link @interchange42 posted above, you see three prominent garages completely out of keeping w/the style being emulated; or good design of any description really.

There are proportions that are off, the building doesn't end up conferring a feeling that you are looking at a building from the period superficially portrayed.

I realize, a lot (most/all) of that is on the client. But I wouldn't want to take credit for that.

I think Wengle's modernist designs are better, consistently, than his period stuff.
It's a McMansion! The bane and blight of any Stern enthusiast. /bleh

That said, while I'm not big fan of Stern'ism (to which I refer to as Batman buildings at times), I suppose you have a point with this Chi-town example:

...you can't say anything was skint and spamdrel'd there. Goodness!

Back